By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 7th gen or 8th gen

Which was the better gen in your opinion?

Wii/PS3/360/DS/PSP 54 66.67%

Wii U/PS4/XBO/3DS/Vita 27 33.33%

Total:81

I don't get it, are people blinded by nostalgia so much. 7th gen was great and all but idk how it comes close to what we seen during the 8th gen wonder. The 7th gen might have started the seeds and put things in motion but it was 8th gen where the seeds sprouted and we got the fruits of what was promised. Well, I think we can all agree that 9th gen is where the crops are dying, the fruits are rotting on the ground but there's an odd one here and there that is ripe and tasty. That said, 2023 was one of the best years in gaming history objectively so it can't be as bad as it seems.

Around the Network

8th Gen had a strong ending thanks for some amazing Sony offerings but honestly, doesn't compare at all. 7th Gen with the Wii, the amount of amazing trilogies, first dive into true online gaming? Some great stuff.

Hmm, pie.

Pajderman said:

For me 7th win with a landslide
Wii > WiiU
Xbox360 > XboxOne
DS >> 3DS
PS3 < PS4
PSP >>> PSVita

The only console from each maker that I prefer the 8th gen version of is Playstation 4, but I still like way more games released on PS3 compared to the ps4.
WiiU was the worst and I used my 3DS to play DS games more than 3DS games, and my favorite 3DS games was remakes.

Of each console generation I lived through the 8th is dead last. I think that things that happened in my personal life at the start of the 8th generation had an impact on my feelings towards it.

Yeah, landslide seems like the right word. The 8th gen had some gems, no doubt, but it can’t compare to the ingenuity, depth, or breadth of the 7th. 

I would also agree with your system list above. I think PS4 is the only 8th gen console with an edge over its 7th gen counterpart. You could maybe make a case that 3DS is equal to DS. But the others? Not really close. XOne is particularly outmatched.

7th gen had and still has better games than 8th/9th gen combined.

Halo 3, Fable 2, Gears of War, Bioshock, Skyrim, GTA5, Minecraft, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Uncharted, The Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption, Fallout 3, Portal, Left 4 Dead, Asassins Creed, Okami, Xenoblade chronicles, Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, zepda twilight princess and skyward sword.

8th combined with 9th gen bucks in comparison... Their most popular games are 7th gen ports. I.E GTA5 and Minecraft.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Wow, I expected the 8th gen to win by a mile, I guessed that wrong. I am 8th, because of the quality. GoW 2018, Horizon, Bloodborne, Souls 3, Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2, Breath of the Wild, etc. I thought the 8th generation was just superb.

Spider-man, Elden Ring, RE2 Remake, RE3 Remake, RE7, RE8, RE4 remake, Witcher 3, Automata, 13 Sentinels,

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

Wow, I expected the 8th gen to win by a mile, I guessed that wrong. I am 8th, because of the quality. GoW 2018, Horizon, Bloodborne, Souls 3, Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2, Breath of the Wild, etc. I thought the 8th generation was just superb.

Spider-man, Elden Ring, RE2 Remake, RE3 Remake, RE7, RE8, RE4 remake, Witcher 3, Automata, 13 Sentinels,

Many of the most notable games that are always brought up were primarily during the second half of the 8th gen, but they were also individual titles. Throughout the 7th gen, you had entire trilogies of fantastic games whether it was Gears of War, Mass Effect, Bioshock, or Uncharted trilogies, and all the platforms were pretty much firing on all cylinders from the beginning to the end of the generation, including handhelds.

To this day, 2007 alone is considered to be one of, if not the greatest year in video game history. 

G2ThaUNiT said:
Chrkeller said:

Many of the most notable games that are always brought up were primarily during the second half of the 8th gen, but they were also individual titles. Throughout the 7th gen, you had entire trilogies of fantastic games whether it was Gears of War, Mass Effect, Bioshock, or Uncharted trilogies, and all the platforms were pretty much firing on all cylinders from the beginning to the end of the generation, including handhelds.

To this day, 2007 alone is considered to be one of, if not the greatest year in video game history. 

Personal preference I suppose.  I didn't care much for bioshock and mass effect.  Gears was solid.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

It's tough to say. I prefer Wii over Wii U, but I prefer 3DS over DS. I prefer PS4 over PS3, but I prefer 360 over One. I didn't play on PSP hardware, but I like Vita.
I'll ultimately go with 8th because of software like Stardew Valley, Spider-Man, Smash 4, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Final Fantasy VII Remake, SoulCalibur VI, Fire Emblem Awakening and superior versions of cross-gen 7th generation games.
I'm not going to give really any credit to the 8th gen for releases like The Last of Us Remastered because it seems like the 8th generation was so reliant on ports and remasters more than any generation to date. The 9th generation is on track to take that title.
Just about the only thing that could end up putting 9th gen as equal or greater to 8th gen is if you count Switch as 9th gen, but I know we're ignoring Switch on this thread.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:

It's tough to say. I prefer Wii over Wii U, but I prefer 3DS over DS. I prefer PS4 over PS3, but I prefer 360 over One. I didn't play on PSP hardware, but I like Vita.
I'll ultimately go with 8th because of software like Stardew Valley, Spider-Man, Smash 4, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Final Fantasy VII Remake, SoulCalibur VI, Fire Emblem Awakening and superior versions of cross-gen 7th generation games.
I'm not going to give really any credit to the 8th gen for releases like The Last of Us Remastered because it seems like the 8th generation was so reliant on ports and remasters more than any generation to date. The 9th generation is on track to take that title.
Just about the only thing that could end up putting 9th gen as equal or greater to 8th gen is if you count Switch as 9th gen, but I know we're ignoring Switch on this thread.

You got a point. Where is the correct placement of switch when it comes to generations? 

The case for 8th gen over 7th gen is a much closer call if Switch is in the 8th gen. 

Unpopular opinion, but I like the 3Ds library more than the Ds library, I mostly didnt care much for the Wii and the PS4 > PS3. Thus I gotta go 8th gen on this one.