By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - First trailer for Metroid Prime 4: Beyond, coming 2025

shavenferret said:
padib said:

shavenferret, the great Metroid fan, shall one day be immortalized in the form of a Chozo statue, eternally awaiting all the "unreleased" 2D metroids that release in the passing of time.

Can my statue have me shaking the hand of a statue of Justin Bailey? 

Yes but I can do even better than that: it will be Justin Bailey shaking your hand, the hand of Shavenferret the ancient Chozo.

Around the Network
padib said:
shavenferret said:

Can my statue have me shaking the hand of a statue of Justin Bailey? 

Yes but I can do even better than that: it will be Justin Bailey shaking your hand, the hand of Shavenferret the ancient Chozo.

Good sir, that would be quite excellent

It’s just a trailer of a very small part of the game, but nonetheless it did get me wondering again what really was going on at Retro all those years. I mean, this looks like the Metroid Prime 4 game they could have put out in 2011 or something. Obviously not graphically, but just in terms of being more of the same and no big jump. So why didn’t they start this at least after Tropical Freeze? It still feels to me like Retro did not want to make this game, and Nintendo either begged and/or forced their hand with it after Prime 4 in another devs hands was obviously turning out terribly. Idk, I just think the game should seem a bit more inspired than this looks if this scenario wasn’t the case. It’s probably why they’ve taken so long too, if they didn’t have a ton of natural creative vision it would be a slow churn to make a great game. We’ll see.

HyrulianScrolls said:

It’s just a trailer of a very small part of the game, but nonetheless it did get me wondering again what really was going on at Retro all those years. I mean, this looks like the Metroid Prime 4 game they could have put out in 2011 or something. Obviously not graphically, but just in terms of being more of the same and no big jump. So why didn’t they start this at least after Tropical Freeze? It still feels to me like Retro did not want to make this game, and Nintendo either begged and/or forced their hand with it after Prime 4 in another devs hands was obviously turning out terribly. Idk, I just think the game should seem a bit more inspired than this looks if this scenario wasn’t the case. It’s probably why they’ve taken so long too, if they didn’t have a ton of natural creative vision it would be a slow churn to make a great game. We’ll see.

This trailer was just to show the game exists. The first Mario Odyssey trailer didn't show the hat gimmick. That wasn't until E3. Wait for another trailer where they go further into the game mechanics. It amazes me people don't get this.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Yeah as Leynos says, this trailer like most first showings for a Nintendo game was just an introduction to the basics.
There will almost certainly be a lot more to it that they haven't shown so far; such as the "hook" like Prime 2's light/dark worlds and Prime 3's Hypermode.

Around the Network
HyrulianScrolls said:

Time flies when you having fun lol.

If you look at the time line:

2007 - Prime 3 come out

2009 - Retro did the trilogy for Wii 

2010 - Donkey Kong Country Returns

2011 - Mario Kart on 3DS

2014 - DK Tropical Freeze on Wii U

2015-2017 - Pitched a few ideas to Nintendo that didn't get off the ground

2017 - Nintendo first announced Prime 4 with new developer

2018 - DK TP on Switch

2019 - Nintendo did the apology video said Prime 4 is rebooting from scratch.

2023 - MP Remastered

2025 - Prime 4 coming out from Retro. It will be about a 5 year cycle since the 2019 restart, which these days to get a finished product of an AA game isn't so bad.

They haven’t put out a game in 10 years. They very easily could’ve stated MP4 when Nintendo wanted it started in 2016. It’s still very odd to me that they didn’t if they really had a vision for this game. And the fact that the first trailer after all this time does feel so much like “it’s more prime” and nothing else does have me a bit worried. But I do agree this was likely released earlier than they would have if not for the fact this game was announced ages ago. They know fans were desperate to see something

I think this trailer was very much a matter of "it's finally ready to show, let's reassure fans that the game still exists and isn't vapourware" rather than "let's lay out our full vision for the game".

The first trailer for Tears of the Kingdom didn't show any of the new abilities the game was built around, as mentioned the first trailer for Mario Odyssey didn't show the Capture ability, it's not uncommon for Nintendo to keep their cards close to their chest as to a game's central hook.

The Metroid Prime 4 made by day. It is awsome to finally have a trailer for a game after so long!!

BiON!@