By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom out now on Switch

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

Just finished playing the first couple of hours.

So far, I'm liking it a lot. I was concerned that indirect combat would feel too passive and disempowering, but it's actually kinda fun to improvise through monster encounters with summons.

It's a really good marriage of classic and modern Zelda, with the open-ended problem solving of BOTW/TOTK but the world design and vibes of the older entries. It's clearly not a half-hearted throwaway either, there's clearly a lot of heart and soul put into it.

Anyone else also playing?

Waiting for mine to arrive.  How bad are the framerate drops?  I'm hoping the SW supports VRR so it doesn't go from 60 to 30.  

If you played Link's Awakening on Switch, it's similar. 

There's clearly been some work done on the engine since that game, as the levels have more going on at once, but it does dip now and then when streaming in new data during overworld traversal.

It can be a bit of an annoyance at times, but due to the more methodical pace it doesn't harm gameplay the way that it would in a game that demands precision.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

Waiting for mine to arrive.  How bad are the framerate drops?  I'm hoping the SW supports VRR so it doesn't go from 60 to 30.  

There's clearly been some work done on the engine since that game, as the levels have more going on at once, but it does dip now and then when streaming in new data during overworld traversal.

It can be a bit of an annoyance at times, but due to the more methodical pace it doesn't harm gameplay the way that it would in a game that demands precision.

I love LA.  The drops are annoying but such is life. 

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Signalstar said:

With Zelda as the protagonist it should be called The Legend of Link: Echoes of Wisdom.

They should have called it The Legend of Link: Wand of Gamelon 2

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah if you were able to enjoy Link's Awakening in spite of its drops, you should be fine with this.

A locked 60fps would have been nice of course, (and indeed that is pretty much what you get during dungeons and other indoor areas, it's just the overworld that lags) but it's not a dealbreaker.

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

Yeah if you were able to enjoy Link's Awakening in spite of its drops, you should be fine with this.

A locked 60fps would have been nice of course, (and indeed that is pretty much what you get during dungeons and other indoor areas, it's just the overworld that lags) but it's not a dealbreaker.

Got my copy today, will easy put in a number of hours this weekend.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network

Finally nice to play a somewhat traditional original Zelda experience. Don’t get me wrong, I love Botw, and Totk, but it’s been 5 years since a traditional Zelda, and 11 years since an original traditional Zelda. Like others have said it’s a nice combo of old and new!

HoloDust said:

Like the Bind.
Disliking art style more and more.
Really disliking "magic" not using up some resource (same thing I had problem with in BotW and TotK, since it cheapens the exploration)

Fully agree with this. I think most actions in games should come with some kind of cost. BotW instead used items that breaks after a few usages. Granted magic is used for a lot of task with no cost at all. 

rjason12 said:

Finally nice to play a somewhat traditional original Zelda experience. Don’t get me wrong, I love Botw, and Totk, but it’s been 5 years since a traditional Zelda, and 11 years since an original traditional Zelda. Like others have said it’s a nice combo of old and new!

Yeah I feel the same way; as much as I had a blast with BOTW and TOTK, I didn't realize how much I'd missed classic Zelda until I played this. The familiar motifs of old but filtered through a fresh modern lens is such a joy.

I really like how gaining new echoes provides a constant stream of cool new toys to play around with, giving that same dopamine hit as unlocking a new item in the old games but in small controlled bursts every 5-10 minutes.

On the whole, it's a terrific experience so far; it's definitely unconventional, and for that reason it won't please everyone, but I'm having a ton of fun with it.

Need to play more but not loving it. Seems tedious having to go through two dozens echoes constantly. And battles are slow given my echoes companions are dumb as heck.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

Need to play more but not loving it. Seems tedious having to go through two dozens echoes constantly. And battles are slow given my echoes companions are dumb as heck.

I'd recommend using the green snakes, they are fast-hitting and aggressive, and spawning several of them makes short work of many foes.

Another trick is you can effectively emulate a melee attack by spawning an urchin or one of the fire guys right on top of an enemy and hit them instantly.