By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom announced; new 2D entry

I wonder if Grezzo is the developer of this, after Ocarina of Time/Majora’s Mask ports, assisting on Triforce Heroes and Link’s Awakening remake I think they have earned a shot at making an original Zelda title.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

I wonder if Grezzo is the developer of this, after Ocarina of Time/Majora’s Mask ports, assisting on Triforce Heroes and Link’s Awakening remake I think they have earned a shot at making an original Zelda title.

Considering that Grezzo worked to make Link's Awakening, and the art style is the same, it is logical reasoning to assume that Grezzo is behind this game too.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Ah, ok, after rewatching the trailer, those triangles are the resource, with each echo having certain amount of them used up after activating (and getting them back after deactivating, I suppose).

Looks different, but that can be a good thing. Day 1 for me.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

This is going to be a wait and see for me. Been waiting for a new 2D Zelda for the entire Switch life cycle, and this looks awesome...except it's entirely passive action. Love the gameplay mechanic, except for the fact that they took away the actual fighting.

Not sure how fun just playing entirely passively will be. I don't want to place an enemy down and then just sit back watching it. If they did this whole mechanic AND you still fought that would be marvelous. But if its just passive action I'll probably pass on this. Too bad, soooo close to looking like an great new addition to Zelda, but they took away action with this new gameplay mechanic thus turning it into more of a gimmick than a cool new thing to add to the game. Feels like a typical Nintendo decision, come up with something cool but instead of just adding it on to the formula they actually replace the already fun stuff with it. This mechanic should be an addition, not the whole gameplay.

Very unfortunate, but for people who don't mind passive action this should be a great game. I was very excited until I realized the mechanic wasn't simply an add-on but instead they entirely got rid of fighting.

Around the Network

It is a bit of Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Scribblenauts. I don't mind puzzles, on the contrary, but it just kinda cements the idea that what Aonuma always wanted to make are puzzle adventures, not Zelda.

HoloDust said:

Ah, ok, after rewatching the trailer, those triangles are the resource, with each echo having certain amount of them used up after activating (and getting them back after deactivating, I suppose).

I was about to say, even if not for balancing reasons, they'd likely have to set a notable limit to such things due to how it can tax performance. If the game is designed to take advantage of as much RAM as possible, or close to it, that sort of thing could easily exceed it.
I remember in Goldeneye 64 that bullet holes will appear on walls, but if you keep creating new ones, the older ones will start disappearing. Same concept. Or in basically any game where you could leave footprints in the snow.

My guess was that after say the 5th echo, any more you create will erase the last one. But I see the star indicator now that you mention it. Different echoes costing different amount of stars would be an interesting way of balancing the more powerful ones.

Looks like fun. Glad they didnt just change Link with Zelda and called it a day. Actually making it a game that focuses on Zeldas character and abilities is a welcome change.

Yeah I'm also glad Zelda isn't just a reskin of Link.

Not every character needs to be a fighter and having her solve problems with her wits instead is nice change of pace.

Initially I was also worried that combat would feel awkward and unfulfilling, but if anyone can find a way to make this new system fun, it's the Zelda team; the improvisational stuff in BOTW and TOTK was great, and I can't see them committing to this system if it wasn't engaging, given that gameplay feel is such a high priority in their recent works.

Hiku said:

HoloDust said:

I was about to say, even if not for balancing reasons, they'd likely have to set a notable limit to such things due to how it can tax performance. If the game is designed to take advantage of as much RAM as possible, or close to it, that sort of thing could easily exceed it.
I remember in Goldeneye 64 that bullet holes will appear on walls, but if you keep creating new ones, the older ones will start disappearing. Same concept. Or in basically any game where you could leave footprints in the snow.

My guess was that after say the 5th echo, any more you create will erase the last one. But I see the star indicator now that you mention it. Different echoes costing different amount of stars would be an interesting way of balancing the more powerful ones.

Ha, funny thing, I was just explaining the other day to my younger son that in fully voxel based worlds there can be footprints in the sand all you want (if you have small enough voxels), since voxels are always there, they just change their state - so that opens up a lot of game design. That said, this is not a voxel based engine, so I get what you mean.

If you look later in the trailer, both boarblin and fish have two triangles, so that's their "casting" cost, and given that she has different amount of triangles floating behind her during the trailer, I assume total amount will be upgradable.

Last edited by HoloDust - on 20 June 2024