By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree. 94 OC/95 MC. Is it too hard? Poll.

Is the DLC too difficult...

Yes 5 19.23%

No 10 38.46%

A bit but manageable 8 30.77%

No opinion 3 11.54%

Total:26

I don't think DEX is the beginner friendly build for ER, rather the opposite

Poise breaking is king here. STR will provide easier time. INT is also pretty easy and straightforward, most of sorceries are very easy to use and the character easy to upgrade

Pick Astrologer if you want a ranged caster or Vagabond if you want to Meele (remove the helm, so you can mid-roll instead of heavy-roll)

In both cases, don't follow the main story until you're at least level 30. Talk to Renna, she will give you the bell to invoke Ashes of War. Upgrade your weapons, collect simithing stones they are the most reliable way of increasing your damage output

If you pick Astrologer, level up Vigor and Mind up to 20 just then upgrade INT, look for a straight sword or other similar sword and learn how to infused it. Infusions will grant additional meele damage enough for Limgrave and your sorceries will make the bulk of damage. Look for Sorceress Sellen, she will teach some magic. You can find here in the undergrounds of a ruin, that one with a big flower protecting the ruin. There is a memory slot to equip additional magic in Weepping Peninsula. This is enough for Limgrave. In Liurnia you'll get better weapons and sorceries and the game will become much easier

If you pick Vagabond upgrade Vigor to 25 and just enough Mind to use ashes of war. After that upgrade stamina, enough to use a greatsword, Halberd, Axe or whatever big weapon you want to carry while still mid-rolling, only then start crunching Strength. Look for the green turtle talisman lying around a ruin where you can fight the dead (it's a boss fight) in northem Limgrave, it's one of the best talismans for meelee. If you wield your weapon with two hands your STR increases 50%, so I prefer to use STR weapons that way. Look for an Ashe of War that allows you to do AoE damage or ranged damage, to kill annoying mobs that either fly or are too far. There are an NPC in a forest in Northern Limgrave who can teach you, Bernarl his name I think, he wears a silver Armour. Remember poise break is king, so don't be afraid of using heavy attacks on bosses!

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

Poise breaking is king here. STR will provide easier time. INT is also pretty easy and straightforward, most of sorceries are very easy to use and the character easy to upgrade

Pick Astrologer if you want a ranged caster or Vagabond if you want to Meele (remove the helm, so you can mid-roll instead of heavy-roll)

In both cases, don't follow the main story until you're at least level 30. Talk to Renna, she will give you the bell to invoke Ashes of War. Upgrade your weapons, collect simithing stones they are the most reliable way of increasing your damage output

If you pick Astrologer, level up Vigor and Mind up to 20 just then upgrade INT, look for a straight sword or other similar sword and learn how to infused it. Infusions will grant additional meele damage enough for Limgrave and your sorceries will make the bulk of damage. Look for Sorceress Sellen, she will teach some magic. You can find here in the undergrounds of a ruin, that one with a big flower protecting the ruin. There is a memory slot to equip additional magic in Weepping Peninsula. This is enough for Limgrave. In Liurnia you'll get better weapons and sorceries and the game will become much easier

If you pick Vagabond upgrade Vigor to 25 and just enough Mind to use ashes of war. After that upgrade stamina, enough to use a greatsword, Halberd, Axe or whatever big weapon you want to carry while still mid-rolling, only then start crunching Strength. Look for the green turtle talisman lying around a ruin where you can fight the dead (it's a boss fight) in northem Limgrave, it's one of the best talismans for meelee. If you wield your weapon with two hands your STR increases 50%, so I prefer to use STR weapons that way. Look for an Ashe of War that allows you to do AoE damage or ranged damage, to kill annoying mobs that either fly or are too far. There are an NPC in a forest in Northern Limgrave who can teach you, Bernarl his name I think, he wears a silver Armour. Remember poise break is king, so don't be afraid of using heavy attacks on bosses!

Perhaps you are right.  I always thought STG was more advanced because weapon move sets are slower, which makes boss windows tighter.  But for normal enemies, STG can be killer.  

Either way, I think the advice is starting class isn't as important as character build.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Perhaps you are right.  I always thought STG was more advanced because weapon move sets are slower, which makes boss windows tighter.  But for normal enemies, STG can be killer.  

Either way, I think the advice is starting class isn't as important as character build.  

For a beginner the starter class will provide an easier time and avoid the weight of having to grindr until the character is usable. Also, if you pick something like Hero and then decided to be I don't know, Arcane Caster, then you will need to do a heavy shift an get at least 20 levels which can be very demanding in Limgrave where every Rune you get matters to get you past trough Stormveil Castle. It will probably faster to dump your character and start again 

But overall I agree the starter class is inconsequential in the long run. Specially because you can respec after beating Renalla 

IcaroRibeiro said:

A caster would actually be tough for a gamer new to souls cause they won't be able to learn the boss patterns as well and understand when to punish. I can't imagine it working out well, Great for souls players who know how the games work but not so to newbies but I agree STR is better for Newbies however in Elden ring fast moving builds are better as a blanket build for all encounters. Remember, he's new to souls in general not just Elden Ring. Not to mention a magic build and one two hit STR builds are less fun which might turn him off. 

STR builds can be super powerful. My first character was built around Grafted Greatsword, I was a wrecking ball. My other character used bloodhound fangs (or something like that). It was another great build.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
LegitHyperbole said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

A caster would actually be tough for a gamer new to souls cause they won't be able to learn the boss patterns as well and understand when to punish. I can't imagine it working out well, Great for souls players who know how the games work but not so to newbies but I agree STR is better for Newbies however in Elden ring fast moving builds are better as a blanket build for all encounters. Remember, he's new to souls in general not just Elden Ring. Not to mention a magic build and one two hit STR builds are less fun which might turn him off. 

It's the opposite. Ranged casters remove the pressure of learning about rolling windows and learning attack partners. We have summons to drawn aggro, a caster only needs to get distance and spam sorceries. Magic is the beginner friendly way to play Elden Ring 

I picked up INT builds because sorceries have better damage output and are more reliable when it comes to fighting compared to incantations (some incantations can be awkward to use, and have 3 different types of damage, etc)

The only difficult is to learn how to properly find Windows to recover FP and HP, but alas, nothing that 3 or 4 hours of game won't solve 

IcaroRibeiro said:
LegitHyperbole said:

It's the opposite. Ranged casters remove the pressure of learning about rolling windows and learning attack partners. We have summons to drawn aggro, a caster only needs to get distance and spam sorceries. Magic is the beginner friendly way to play Elden Ring 

I picked up INT builds because sorceries have better damage output and are more reliable when it comes to fighting compared to incantations (some incantations can be awkward to use, and have 3 different types of damage, etc)

The only difficult is to learn how to properly find Windows to recover FP and HP, but alas, nothing that 3 or 4 hours of game won't solve 

Maybe so. It's still rather less fun. I do know magic builds can zap enemies out of existence but there's nothing gained if it's how you say and you don't need to engage in combat. No fun. 

LegitHyperbole said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

P

Maybe so. It's still rather less fun. I do know magic builds can zap enemies out of existence but there's nothing gained if it's how you say and you don't need to engage in combat. No fun. 

Fun is subjective. I've always found more fun to play as a caster than meelee 

And yes, Terra Magica + Cerulean Hidden Tear + Comete Azur can basically one-shot a third of bosses, and left others with way less than half of their HP

IcaroRibeiro said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Fun is subjective. I've always found more fun to play as a caster than meelee 

And yes, Terra Magica + Cerulean Hidden Tear + Comete Azur can basically one-shot a third of bosses, and left others with way less than half of their HP

I suppose so but trivialising the content is objective. 

IcaroRibeiro said:

I would second this. After trying quite a few variants in some 300 hours or so, I'd recommend some form of Bonk/Stagger build for beginners. It's very straightforward, both for scaling stats, stat allocation and gearing, but mostly in the approach to combat. Early bosses have really poor poise, and there are lots of viable STR weapons early on, even just lying around in the open. Heck; Lords Greatsword with two-handed wielding in the start does some really good damage already at +2 or +3 smithing level. There are also some good axes and blunt weapons early on (I think the Morning Star is available easily in the Weeping Peninsula).