By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Reliving the Arcade: Making your own home arcade

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs

Around the Network
ArtX said:

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs

How I remembered Alien vs Predator but NOT Cadillacs and Dinosaurs is beyond me.....

Personally I just go with modern console releases (Switch, Xbox or PlayStation) of old arcade games just so they don't take up as much space physically.

CaptainExplosion said:

Personally I just go with modern console releases (Switch, Xbox or PlayStation) of old arcade games just so they don't take up as much space physically.

It's just not the same - I still fairly regularly go to a local retro arcade, but they only have these new retro cabinets - it's fun to play them, but they are all with flat screens instead of CRTs, so both visuals and input response are different (worse) than the originals.

They are practical, since they are all packed with a lot of games, but let's be honest, if money (which automatically solves the problem of space as well), there is no replacement for the original cabinets.

HoloDust said:
CaptainExplosion said:

It's just not the same - I still fairly regularly go to a local retro arcade, but they only have these new retro cabinets - it's fun to play them, but they are all with flat screens instead of CRTs, so both visuals and input response are different (worse) than the originals.

They are practical, since they are all packed with a lot of games, but let's be honest, if money (which automatically solves the problem of space as well), there is no replacement for the original cabinets.

True. My Mom and I have gone to The Rec Room, a kick ass arcade and bar across from Ripley's Aquarium in Toronto. She once played their giant Pac-Man to the point that she got a blister. XD

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
CaptainExplosion said:

I can kind of agree with both sides here. I'd love to have a JAMMA multi-arcade cabinet, and I've thought about buying The Simpsons Arcade 1UP machine. But I'd be less likely to buy arcade games that are already available on Arcade Archives, the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection, or Capcom Arcade Stadium. 

That said, if Arcade 1UP announced a Donkey Kong arcade cabinet with DK, Mario Bros, and other Nintendo classics, I'd be all over that despite having the AA versions of those games, simply because I've always loved the design of the DK arcade cabinet. I even built a miniature Donkey Kong arcade machine using a kit that let me build one using a Raspberry Pi. 

SanAndreasX said:
HoloDust said:

I can kind of agree with both sides here. I'd love to have a JAMMA multi-arcade cabinet, and I've thought about buying The Simpsons Arcade 1UP machine. But I'd be less likely to buy arcade games that are already available on Arcade Archives, the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection, or Capcom Arcade Stadium. 

That said, if Arcade 1UP announced a Donkey Kong arcade cabinet with DK, Mario Bros, and other Nintendo classics, I'd be all over that despite having the AA versions of those games, simply because I've always loved the design of the DK arcade cabinet. I even built a miniature Donkey Kong arcade machine using a kit that let me build one using a Raspberry Pi. 

Yeah, I'd love to have one of those multi-arcade cabinets, specifically for some vertical screen Golden Age games, and one for some later stuff (though I don't play much of those, except for Metal Slug, Raiden and few others).

The thing is, I have yet to see one from some of the companies specializing in making those that is built around CRT screen, and not LCD/LED. Admittedly, I don't follow extensively this area, so maybe some exist, but all I could ever find was homemade DYI, and honestly, I have neither time or expertise for such thing.

HoloDust said:
SanAndreasX said:

Yeah, I'd love to have one of those multi-arcade cabinets, specifically for some vertical screen Golden Age games, and one for some later stuff (though I don't play much of those, except for Metal Slug, Raiden and few others).

The thing is, I have yet to see one from some of the companies specializing in making those that is built around CRT screen, and not LCD/LED. Admittedly, I don't follow extensively this area, so maybe some exist, but all I could ever find was homemade DYI, and honestly, I have neither time or expertise for such thing.

I don't think there are any facilities out there that manufacture CRTs anymore, and a diminishing supply of used ones that could be used to build a CRT cabinet. Even 20 years ago, I first started seeing people who operated arcade games replacing their CRTs with LCD panels. So if you want a CRT machine, you're most likely going to have to DIY and would have to really hunt for parts for it. A lot of the old CRTs for arcades likely have decades of burn-in. I remember seeing arcade burn-in back in the 1980s, when you'd see the ghosts of high scores burnt into the phosphor coating.

SanAndreasX said:
HoloDust said:

I don't think there are any facilities out there that manufacture CRTs anymore, and a diminishing supply of used ones that could be used to build a CRT cabinet. Even 20 years ago, I first started seeing people who operated arcade games replacing their CRTs with LCD panels. So if you want a CRT machine, you're most likely going to have to DIY and would have to really hunt for parts for it. A lot of the old CRTs for arcades likely have decades of burn-in. I remember seeing arcade burn-in back in the 1980s, when you'd see the ghosts of high scores burnt into the phosphor coating.

Yeah, few times I really got to researching in order to see if I can pull off DYI, I ended up recognizing that time/skill requirements are beyond what I have, so each time it ended in "maybe some other time" category.

Pity that 1UP or someone else don't have some "premium" CRT option.

If I had to the space to make my whole arcade. Let's just say I would buy a ton of Initial D arcade machines!!!!!

BiON!@