By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Akira Toriyama, Dragon Ball creator and Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger artist, dead at 68

He apparently passed away March 1 from a subdural hematoma. Story here.

As someone whose first exposures to RPGs included Dragon Warrior, several years before DBZ was localized, this was a huge gut punch.

Think I'm going to play some Dragon Quest tonight in his honor. This sucks.

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 07 March 2024

Around the Network

oh.... my gawd.

Urgh noooo ... Even worse considering the man was still relatively active with some projects recently.

A bad accidental fall can really mess you up when you get at his age which wasn't relatively that old.

The man had such an imprint on culture as a whole. From mangas to video games, the man had one of the most popular manga and recognizable artsyle of it's age.

Dragon Ball was my first manga and it was such a great departure from the comics I was reading. Probably wouldn't have got into the medium without his works.
+ Being the main visual artist being one of the most famous video game out there.

Nonetheless, I hope people will respect this man's legacy and his wishes of peace and tranquillity. He'll remain a true legend !

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

High school was not the best time in my life, and one of the things I looked forward to was DBZ. Also was something that helped me connect with a few people when I really needed it. His work made my life better.

This sucks bad! My childhood much like others was impacted by dragon ball.
Gone waay to soon.
Slowly all the original legends of anime and gaming are passing away.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Around the Network

We had news of Yoshitaka Murayama creator of Suikoden passing away on February 6th aged 54 now Akira Toriyama aged 68 what a crap start to 2024 two men who gave
us great times . rest in peace.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 08 March 2024

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

My first two exposures to the world of RPGs were Ultima III: Exodus and the first Dragon Quest game, released in the US as Dragon Warrior. My favorite third-party game on NES is Dragon Quest III. I always felt that the NES Dragon Quest games were better than the NES Final Fantasy games. It's also a pity they didn't localize V and VI for the Super Famicom until much later on the DS. 

One of my local channels aired Saban's localization of the Dragon Quest III anime, which was also titled Dragon Warrior. I used to watch it even though they aired it Sunday mornings at 6 am.

When Dragon Ball Z came out, I was amazed at how much it looked like Dragon Quest, then I found out they were both done by Toriyama.

Chrono Trigger was also great.

My most recent purchase of one of his products was Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince.

This really hurts.

Dying a bit young, so sad. Like others I really enjoyed his work.

I think I need to finally watch Dragon Ball Super.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Big loss. Sleep well, Akira.

Hmm, pie.