By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Interactive Entertainment to layoff 8% of their workforce, close Sony London Studio

BraLoD said:
Qwark said:

Playstation is basically one or two fuck-ups away from going in the red. A lot of their studios have been working on a new game for over three or four years and aren't even ready to be announced yet. Mind you this is making a loss even with 45 million PS+ subscribers and collecting a lot of royalties.

Playstation is actually doing very, very well.

The problem here is a global trend of corporate greed, no matter the human cost.

First it was massive work crunch, now it is massive lay offs, and everyone is doing the exact same everywhere.

The only step Sony still didn't take was throwing the quality of the games down the bucket to reach impossible goals, which most of the other ones are happily doing for years now.

Last week for the first time since it started in 1995 Magic the Gathering will stop being printed in Brazilian Portuguese, with the excuse that the costs are too high, even as Wizards of the Coast are having record breaking profit.

There is nothing to do with doing bad or being close to get in the red, it's simply corporate greed, something very familiar to us here in Brazil since ever.

You are not wrong.  I've worked for a few billion dollar annual profit companies....  every year is "how do we make more."

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network

I'm starting to feel a bit numb with all the layoffs that is happening all around the industry.
Hopefully some of the folks that lose their jobs try to build new exiting studios. I'd want something good to come from this rather depressing downsizing trend.

The model Sony/MS chose to pursue is not sustainable and honestly for consumers who cheer that on they should get a reality check that games honestly of that scale should cost more.

The Tekken producer said last week game costs today are 10x more than the 90s, but a $50 Playstation game circa 1997 would be like $85+ and that's only accounting for inflation *alone*. That doesn't even touch the fact that the budget is 10x higher. There's a fair case these games should be a costing $100+ each. Now all of the sudden those same people cheerleading never ending expansion in budgets would suddenly get a reality check in their own wallet and probably start complaining very loudly about game costs.

It's also no wonder most games today are really just PS4-tier titles with things like ray tracing and a few other effects added on top. Which honestly is a lot smarter than bankrupting your studio and having several hundred people lose their jobs, for what? So "Little Timmy" can have light beams coming through the fog and more bushes in the background of a game that otherwise plays exactly the same? Like this shit is just stupid, it's so not worth it. Even PS4 tier can bankrupt a studio and cost hundreds of millions of dollars to create.  God Of War 2018 and Horizon: Forbidden West (which looks as good as anything else on the PS5 but was developed as PS4 game as well) cost $200+ million even before marketing costs. And those games get heavily bundled with PS4/5 hardware to boost their numbers, what if you're just a normal 3rd party trying to make a game without benefit of that? Even a "PS4 level" high end game could cost clear of a $100+ million, maybe even $200 million. 

Sony may be turning a profit but even they know their setup is a bad one which is why their new president is already crowing about wanting out of the current business model. The userbase for Playstation/XBox consoles is not growing, it's the same or even smaller than what the PS2/GCN/XBox had 20 years ago, but you have development costs that are far higher, that isn't a good formula.

Last edited by Soundwave - on 28 February 2024

Chrkeller said:
BraLoD said:

Playstation is actually doing very, very well.

The problem here is a global trend of corporate greed, no matter the human cost.

First it was massive work crunch, now it is massive lay offs, and everyone is doing the exact same everywhere.

The only step Sony still didn't take was throwing the quality of the games down the bucket to reach impossible goals, which most of the other ones are happily doing for years now.

Last week for the first time since it started in 1995 Magic the Gathering will stop being printed in Brazilian Portuguese, with the excuse that the costs are too high, even as Wizards of the Coast are having record breaking profit.

There is nothing to do with doing bad or being close to get in the red, it's simply corporate greed, something very familiar to us here in Brazil since ever.

You are not wrong.  I've worked for a few billion dollar annual profit companies....  every year is "how do we make more."

True. It's because inflation exists. Not growing means the money you have is going to be worth less over time. Just like everyone would like to see their paycheck increase at minimal to offset inflation, so do investors when it comes to their stock.

Problem though is that infinite growth for everybody and every company is pretty much impossible, so it's a rat race to get ahead and stay ahead. And that means unfortunately some companies will end up behaving as rats, especially towards their workers.

Tober said:
Chrkeller said:

True. It's because inflation exists. Not growing means the money you have is going to be worth less over time. Just like everyone would like to see their paycheck increase at minimal to offset inflation, so do investors when it comes to their stock.

Problem though is that infinite growth for everybody and every company is pretty much impossible, so it's a rat race to get ahead and stay ahead. And that means unfortunately some companies will end up behaving as rats, especially towards their workers.

When the Sony "They're Doing Great!" Playstation division has shut down 4 studios in 4 years time ... you know the business model has big problems. 

Around the Network

Narrative Director and Writer for Insomniac's Spider-Man games. What a grim anniversary.

kazuyamishima said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

This is a pretty telling statement. $200-$300 million budgets for every major release was not as sustainable as some would lead you to believe. 

They seem pretty set on increasing their output on PC as well. Mobile, we still have yet to see what Sony plans on doing. 

It's sad that it comes down to this. 

Budgets for PS Games have been increasing a lot, especially the licensing ones. But the Insomniac leak gave us a lot of info, it seems that PS first party games make profit and some more.

But 8% of their workforce is something significant tho. 

It honestly makes the situation all the more confusing. Especially with major studios like Insomniac and Guerrilla being hit. I think Guerrilla was confirmed to have lost 10% of their workforce. 

Insomniac having the studios biggest launch in their history. 

G2ThaUNiT said:
kazuyamishima said:

Budgets for PS Games have been increasing a lot, especially the licensing ones. But the Insomniac leak gave us a lot of info, it seems that PS first party games make profit and some more.

But 8% of their workforce is something significant tho. 

It honestly makes the situation all the more confusing. Especially with major studios like Insomniac and Guerrilla being hit. I think Guerrilla was confirmed to have lost 10% of their workforce. 

Insomniac having the studios biggest launch in their history. 

We don't know on what type of games they where working on perhaps these people where working on projects Sony thinks are not being able to generate big numbers. But I agree it's odd, I can get behind Naughty Dog, due to wasting time and money on Factions, but especially Insomniac made Sony a lot of money this gen. Luckily Santa Monica isn't downsized even though they basically became twice as big these last few years. Studios like Bluepoint, Suckerpunch, Bend and Housemarque also seemed to be spared for now, though with a new CEO taking over we can't be sure these are the final cuts.

Last edited by Qwark - on 28 February 2024

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

G2ThaUNiT said:
Signalstar said:

MEDIA MOLECULE SURVIVES!

Sad about London Studio.

That's a significant reduction from Sony PlayStation.

Wonder if this will impact any potential acquisitions (Arrowhead Games)?

I dinged MS for their job cuts so I will metaphorically spit on Sony as well.

*Gives Nintendo a cookie*

For now. The new CEO, the one that audibly does not like PS's profit margins, doesn't take over for another month. 

If he still doesn't like how things look, more layoffs/closures may be on the way.

There's already several unannounced projects cancelled as well. 

I expect that to be the case, a third round of layoffs will most likely occur in the second half of this year. In that round I expect them to close Media Molecule.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

This message makes it sound like Insomniac were hit particularly hard.