By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Banjo Kazooie spiritual successor - Cavern of Dreams announced for Switch

Cavern of Dreams is releasing February 29th. It is a deliberate Banjo Kazooie spiritual successor. It's an indie game with N64 graphics that is true to the N64 era. The music is so Banjo Kazooie and highly nostalgic, I'm pretty hyped for this. I hope the gameplay and level design is true to Banjo Kazooie and N64 platformers from that era too.

I'd love to play this with the N64 controller for the Switch. Banjo Kazooie was a massive part of my childhood and I'm so happy this game is happening. I so hope it gets a physical release. What do you guys think?

The Switch now has a range of platformers that remind me of the N64 era. Yooka Laylee, Snake Pass and even Mario Odyssey brought back the open-level designs that Mario 64 had.

I have (or have/had in the household): ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, Amiga, NES, Sega Master System, Super Nintendo, Sega Megadrive, Gameboy, Playstation, Nintendo 64, Windows 95, Gameboy Colour, Windows 98, Sega Dreamcast, Gameboy Advance, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, Windows XP, Nintendo DS, Xbox 360, Wii, PS3, Windows Vista, iPhone, Windows 7, 3DS, Wii U, PS4, Windows 10, PSVR, Switch, PS5 & PSVR2. :D

and I Don't have: Magnovox Odyssey, Any Atari's, Any Macintosh computers, Sega Gamegear, Virtual Boy, Sega Saturn, N-gage, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PSP, PSVita & Andoid Phone. Plus any non-main-stream consoles/platforms I haven't mentioned.

Around the Network

Banjo is one of myvsll time favorite games. I loved how the hub world was a level and how each collectible had a clear purpose. I wish MS was remake the original.

There is a reason we should not go back to N64 visuals. I get low poly love like Cyber Rush but that's stylish enough it works.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Chrkeller said:

Banjo is one of myvsll time favorite games. I loved how the hub world was a level and how each collectible had a clear purpose. I wish MS was remake the original.

Yes, a remake of Banjo Kazooie would be amazing :D I've been recently thinking about Microsoft doing that. They are being really friendly towards Nintendo atm so it's a big possibility. They could remake Banjo Tooie aswell, then finally make Banjo Kazooie 3. We can only dream :)

Last edited by 00Xander00 - on 19 February 2024

I have (or have/had in the household): ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, Amiga, NES, Sega Master System, Super Nintendo, Sega Megadrive, Gameboy, Playstation, Nintendo 64, Windows 95, Gameboy Colour, Windows 98, Sega Dreamcast, Gameboy Advance, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, Windows XP, Nintendo DS, Xbox 360, Wii, PS3, Windows Vista, iPhone, Windows 7, 3DS, Wii U, PS4, Windows 10, PSVR, Switch, PS5 & PSVR2. :D

and I Don't have: Magnovox Odyssey, Any Atari's, Any Macintosh computers, Sega Gamegear, Virtual Boy, Sega Saturn, N-gage, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PSP, PSVita & Andoid Phone. Plus any non-main-stream consoles/platforms I haven't mentioned.

Leynos said:

There is a reason we should not go back to N64 visuals. I get low poly love like Cyber Rush but that's stylish enough it works.

Yea, there should be more indie games that do this aesthetic. There's something atmospheric about 5th gen visuals that allows the mind to use imagination to fill in the detail. Like a vivid dream.

Minecraft reminds me of N64 graphics too. The animals in Minecraft have faces which reminds me of the animals from Space Station: Silicon Valley (a good N64 platformer which I would love a remake of). Overlanders on Switch is so like Star Wars Episode 1 Racer (another great N64 game I really liked).

Cyber Rush looks really fun. I saw it's trailer a while ago but I never got round to getting it. I'm considering buying it now for Switch :)

Around the Network

Wasn't Yooka-Laylee the spiritual successor lol

Cobretti2 said:

Wasn't Yooka-Laylee the spiritual successor lol

Yes, but there can and should be more.

Traditional Paper Mario has a lot of spiritual successors nowadays (Bug Fables, Born of Bread, Seahorse Saga [being made], Rainbow Billy.

Even Super Paper Mario has a spiritual successor in Underhero.

Why can't Banjo have multiple?

Steam user reviews are quite good so far:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2059660/Cavern_of_Dreams/

I thought Yooka Laylee was the spiritual successor of BK.

Jpcc86 said:

I thought Yooka Laylee was the spiritual successor of BK.

Read up a couple comments lol.