By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Biden vs Trump 2024 Political Platforms, Policies and Issues

If you look into Roseanne's history, she's been a mental case for a very long time. She was tabloid fodder in the 90's with her attention seeking antics and alleged bully behavior on the original Roseanne set. What's odd, is the original character Barr played on her eponymous sitcom back in the day was completely left wing (arguably radical left). There were storylines of her fighting for worker's rights, women's rights, lgbt rights, civil rights, abortion rights. Heck she even had two heavily recurring characters that were gay, her mother on the show even came out at one point. ABC threatened not to air a 1994 episode of the show where she kissed a woman in a bar. Not sure how she circled the expressway on to MAGA road, but she's fully Q'anon now.

Around the Network
BFR said:

Well then, let's hear it from those people. They can speak for themselves.

Why does it matter who says it though? 

Like, do you disagree with anything I said or are you just trying to deflect here? You asked for an explanation of how lives would be different, and I gave you a handful of examples. Now let's talk about it. How does this information effect your beliefs and your arguments? What were you seeking to accomplish by challenging people to say what would be different under Trump? 

BFR said:

Also, I challenge anyone in this forum to explain to all of us how your life would be different if Trump won or if Biden won. Mine would be no different.

I'd be able to sleep a lot better, knowing that we are doing our best to make the world a better place. 

Climate change, public healthcare policies might have an impact on the lives of my kids. 

BFR said:

I challenge anyone in this forum to explain to all of us how your life would be different if Trump won or if Biden won. Mine would be no different.

If Trump wins he will likely get to replace the oldest members of the Supreme Court with young right wing activists and solidify that supermajority for generations. Not to be hyperbolic but looking at how the current court just effectively declared the Republican President a king above the law as well as the agenda set out by Project 2025, Trump's reelection could genuinely spell the end of the American democracy, let alone any hope of seeing the country progress any further in our lifetime. Holding out hope we may one day see better access to healthcare? Affordable higher education? Housing? Expanded civil rights? Voting rights? A livable climate? Not if Trump and his lackeys get their way.

It's said almost every election but the stakes genuinely have never been higher. How would my life be different if Trump or Biden won? It would determine whether or not I plan to remain an American.

It will determine if I'm allowed to live at all.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
BFR said:

Oh, one more thing, I just got on food stamps (SNAP as they call it today) last month. Oh gosh, I hope I don't lose my benefits, what will I do then?

I hope (after paying my wife college debts off and starting 529a for all my kids) that the government will still make me payoffs off the debts of strangers!  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

sundin13 said:
BFR said:

Look, years ago I realized that no matter who won the POTUS election, my life would be no different.

This election year, my major issue is aid to Ukraine, and on that one, I would vote for Biden (and I have always been a Reagan Republican) if I decide to go out and vote versus staying home, getting drunk, and watching the results pour in. Nov. is a long ways away.

Also, I challenge anyone in this forum to explain to all of us how your life would be different if Trump won or if Biden won. Mine would be no different.

"How would this effect me?" is a supremely selfish way of looking at things. I'm like you in that either way, my life likely won't change too much but I realize that I'm lucky in a lot of ways. 

I'm not a woman, so I don't have as many concerns about losing my right to choose and make my own healthcare decisions (though those concerns still exist).

I'm not trans, so I don't have to worry about losing my access to gender affirming healthcare or protection against discrimination.

I don't have any significant medical conditions, so I don't really have to worry about what happens to my coverage if the ACA is dismantled.

I'm not gay, so I don't have to worry about losing the right to marry.

I'm not poor so I don't need to worry about losing my access to food stamps.

I'm not in college so I don't have to worry about the dismantling of aid programs like Public Service Loan Forgiveness. 

I am technically an immigrant, but luckily I have legal residency so I don't need to worry about being deported or my family being deported.

No one can really say what will happen in a second Trump presidency, but the stakes are high for a lot of people

@bold

Most people, especially in the US have become increasingly selfish. It is why most people don't want to have kids anymore, because their way of life will become radically different. People think they can't afford a kid with today's wealth, but truly it is because they don't want to make the necessary sacrifices. People don't want to have kids because they are selfish. We as gamers, live in an entertainment luxury, but truly we could easily give most of it up and buy cheaper forms of entertainment. The same goes for most people in western countries and their various luxuries.

People are losing their sense of community and compassion for their fellow countrymen. I guess they see all the Trump supporters and have decided that helping them would be a waste of time.

Farsala said:
sundin13 said:

"How would this effect me?" is a supremely selfish way of looking at things. I'm like you in that either way, my life likely won't change too much but I realize that I'm lucky in a lot of ways. 

I'm not a woman, so I don't have as many concerns about losing my right to choose and make my own healthcare decisions (though those concerns still exist).

I'm not trans, so I don't have to worry about losing my access to gender affirming healthcare or protection against discrimination.

I don't have any significant medical conditions, so I don't really have to worry about what happens to my coverage if the ACA is dismantled.

I'm not gay, so I don't have to worry about losing the right to marry.

I'm not poor so I don't need to worry about losing my access to food stamps.

I'm not in college so I don't have to worry about the dismantling of aid programs like Public Service Loan Forgiveness. 

I am technically an immigrant, but luckily I have legal residency so I don't need to worry about being deported or my family being deported.

No one can really say what will happen in a second Trump presidency, but the stakes are high for a lot of people

@bold

Most people, especially in the US have become increasingly selfish. It is why most people don't want to have kids anymore, because their way of life will become radically different. People think they can't afford a kid with today's wealth, but truly it is because they don't want to make the necessary sacrifices. People don't want to have kids because they are selfish. We as gamers, live in an entertainment luxury, but truly we could easily give most of it up and buy cheaper forms of entertainment. The same goes for most people in western countries and their various luxuries.

People are losing their sense of community and compassion for their fellow countrymen. I guess they see all the Trump supporters and have decided that helping them would be a waste of time.

Partially true, at best, IMO.  Not helping others isn't born, at least for me, out of selfishness.  For me it is driven more by the number of family members I have that are on the government handouts.  Why are they on government handouts?  Because they are lazy and don't give a crap.  When I was younger, I was very much liberal.  But after 30 years of seeing a bunch of uncles, cousins and what not...  be lazy and expect handouts, yeah, I have gotten a chip on my shoulder about it.  I always felt government handouts needed to weed out the people looking for temporary help versus people who simply don't want to be a contributing member of society.  I don't feel the need to support lazy people because they don't want to work.  And I have a good dozen family members who fit this description.  And it is crazy how much they feel entitled to my money, like I should pay for their food and help them get a car.  Because I have money and they don't.  They are missing the principle; I have money because I have a job.  

Just my 2 cents, which probably won't be popular.  

Edit 

I have a 40+ year old cousin who lives at home and uses his mom's SS to buy food.  When covid checks arrived in the mail he ran out and bought a 2k french bulldog.  His mom recently died and now he wants help because he can't live off her SS checks.  Sorry, but I should help a moron who bought a 2k french bulldog and hasn't had a job in 20 years because?  

People, in many cases, need to help themselves.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 10 July 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
Farsala said:

@bold

Partially true, at best, IMO.  Not helping others isn't born, at least for me, out of selfishness.  For me it is driven more by the number of family members I have that are on the government handouts.  Why are they on government handouts?  Because they are lazy and don't give a crap.  When I was younger, I was very much liberal.  But after 30 years of seeing a bunch of uncles, cousins and what not...  be lazy and expect handouts, yeah, I have gotten a chip on my shoulder about it.  I always felt government handouts needed to weed out the people looking for temporary help versus people who simply don't want to be a contributing member of society.  I don't feel the need to support lazy people because they don't want to work.  And I have a good dozen family members who fit this description.  And it is crazy how much they feel entitled to my money, like I should pay for their food and help them get a car.  Because I have money and they don't.  They are missing the principle; I have money because I have a job.  

Just my 2 cents, which probably won't be popular.  

Edit 

I have a 40+ year old cousin who lives at home and uses his mom's SS to buy food.  When covid checks arrived in the mail he ran out and bought a 2k french bulldog.  His mom recently died and now he wants help because he can't live off her SS checks.  Sorry, but I should help a moron who bought a 2k french bulldog and hasn't had a job in 20 years because?  

People, in many cases, need to help themselves.  

Of course I don't have sympathy for the lazy either. However, I don't have a problem with taking money from the super rich and using it for good things like infrastructure, science, medicine, making student loans cheaper, etc. I don't feel like just because 1000s of rich chinese students flooded my university, that I should have to pay double. Capitalism naturally made it double, but there should be checks and balances.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!