By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Biden vs Trump 2024 Political Platforms, Policies and Issues

Jumpin said:
BFR said:

Gina Carano is one example.

I'll add Roseanne Barr.
I don't agree with what she's said, but I think the result is much worse and sadder than the direction this could have gone. Because a humbled Roseanne Barr who is allowed to express humility and is rewarded/incentivized to get the psychiatric and psychological help she needs, is ultimately better for her and her fans than ostracism. As it stands, she's been made into a voice for the most insane part of the extremists who reward and encourage her insanity.

And if I may rant on some of the off-topic stuff said in this thread.

I'll also add that just because a person did some sexually devious thing doesn't mean they should be banished from society - but rather they should be encouraged to accept a prescribed set of consequences, and then be allowed to return, even if with probation. The #MeToo movement was necessary because there was a lot of shit that needed to be fixed. But the mob backed punishments (as opposed to the legal punishments) were unjust. Should guys like Louis CK and Kevin Spacey have been eternally damned because they misunderstood their boundaries (perhaps alcohol fuelled) and engaged in misconduct? These guys are a far cry from Harvey Weinstein or Bill Cosby, but the mob burned them with the same torch on the same stake (I think Louis CK has since escaped). I think responses have to be measured.

It has to be added that this mob response are the same stupid people who attack and harass actors, directors, musicians, and producers over disagreements on a work of art - mostly trivial - but these people have only one volume, maximum. Because the mob isn't led by their best and brightest, but those who best embody the values of their lowest common denominator; that's why all these anti-fans of recent Star Wars films, Rings of Power, Game of Thrones, Witcher, various singers/bands (mostly black women), books/authors of books about sex and race, etc... seem like a bunch of fucking idiots to everyone who isn't brainwashed by mob-mentality. I brought this up because this same dynamic of stupidity that's judge and jury of celebrities right now. That's why celebrities probably need legal rights and legal freedoms that protect them against the stupidity of an enraged mob with the power to destroy their lives.

I can see your point about rehabilitation but a big part of it comes down to the individual. When people like Gina Carano & Roseanne got fired from their shows for sharing bigoted views, did either of them apologize, admit what they said was wrong, do any soul searching and realize the things they said were hurtful…….or did they complain about being cancelled and double down?

And I don’t mean a single apology video in the direct aftermath but actually taking the time to show they are truly sorry and have changed?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
BFR said:
sundin13 said:

So, who are you voting for?

Probably no one.  I didn't vote in either 2020 or 2016. 2012 was the last time I did.

Alright, so not supporting Trump, but still somewhat enabling him. 

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

You only have to express an opinion to the right of Karl Marx on a public space to get harassment, threats, exclusion from your peer group, and possibly being doxed and fired from your job.

I'm not even conservative, at least not on most issues, but I've been called a fascist and told I deserve to die just for saying I'm not responsible for what people who look like me may have done centuries before I was born.

As for victims of cancel culture, a quick google search will find you countless examples of people losing their jobs and/or being ostracized for expressing mainstream conservative views shared by millions if not billions of people.

Heck, I'll give you one from my own life; just this year someone from my workplace messaged me on Facebook looking for dirt on another coworker of ours to try to get him fired. His crime? Being white, male, and conservative.

Wow, great examples. “Just google it” & “I know a guy”

It's not my job to do your research for you, and telling people that something that has happened to them personally isn't a thing is gaslighting.

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

It's not my job to do your research for you, and telling people that something that has happened to them personally isn't a thing is gaslighting.

Yes it is, you made the claim, the burden of proof is on you.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

How did you determine the motives of the person from your workplace looking for dirt on a coworker? I'd be curious if they had an internal justification that didn't amount to "He's white, conservative, and male". 

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

I expect no matter what I or anyone says you'll just handwave it away, but just a few:

https://www.vox.com/2020/7/29/21340308/david-shor-omar-wasow-speech

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2020/06/03/sacramento-kings-broadcaster-grant-napear-out-after-all-lives-matter-tweet/3132629001/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/frances-widdowson-mount-royal-university-fired-1.6303734

https://www.forbes.com/sites/evangerstmann/2021/12/28/2020-the-year-universities-surrendered-completely-to-cancel-culture/?sh=725c6a7c39c7

https://thepostmillennial.com/marquette-university-trump-student

Torillian said:
curl-6 said:

How did you determine the motives of the person from your workplace looking for dirt on a coworker? I'd be curious if they had an internal justification that didn't amount to "He's white, conservative, and male". 

They straight up said they didn't like him cos he was a "white privileged male".

Last edited by curl-6 - on 08 July 2024

curl-6 said:

I expect no matter what I or anyone says you'll just handwave it away, but just a few:

Do you believe that the right don't also cancel people and get them fired?

sundin13 said:
curl-6 said:

I never said that. Both sides have utilized cancel culture to punish those they disapprove of.

I'm not right wing and my criticism of the left is not an endorsement of the right.

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

Torillian said:

They straight up said they didn't like him cos he was a "white privileged male".

So to me that sounds like assholes being assholes not a broad issue with a political movement. I guess it empowers such assholes with terminology that they can latch on to but it's hard for me to think that if the left was different this person would have been cool and not caused any issues. 

curl-6 said:
sundin13 said:

I never said that. Both sides have utilized cancel culture to punish those they disapprove of.

I'm not right wing and my criticism of the left is not an endorsement of the right.

Then what is the value in serving it as a criticism of the left instead of just a criticism of overzealous politicos in general?

Especially when the far-left in the US isn't generally the part of the party that has political power while the far-right in the US does have political power...