By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Biden vs Trump 2024 Political Platforms, Policies and Issues

BFR said:
Torillian said:

If I recall correctly, them both being from California is actually not allowed, regardless of whether or not it would be good politics. It was floated as a reason that Trump wouldn't be able to pick Florida politicians at his VP. 

"If I recall correctly, them both being from California is actually not allowed" 

I far as I know, it's not against any party rules. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's actually not a party rules thing it's a constitution thing. I only heard about it from youtube videos on politics stuff but I did a quick google to make sure it wasn't a fever dream. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelfth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution#:~:text=The%20two%20people%20chosen%20by,sons%22%20of%20their%20respective%20states.

"The two people chosen by the elector could not both inhabit the same state as that elector. This prohibition was designed to keep electors from voting for two "favorite sons" of their respective states"

Meaning that you would have to do it without one state's electoral votes which in the current climate means it's entirely impossible. Particularly if Democrats lost California. I guess you could be two people from a state that you know you couldn't win anyway maybe but I'm unsure in that instance. Like if two republicans were from New York. 

Around the Network
BFR said:
Torillian said:

If I recall correctly, them both being from California is actually not allowed, regardless of whether or not it would be good politics. It was floated as a reason that Trump wouldn't be able to pick Florida politicians at his VP. 

"If I recall correctly, them both being from California is actually not allowed" 

A google search says that per the 12th Amendment, an elector can't pick a Pres/VP combo where both people are from their state.

That means Kamala could pick Newsom, but either one of them would have to change their legal residence or forfeit California.

EDIT: I need to stop jumping into other people's conversations. Y'all are always faster than me lol

BFR said:
sundin13 said:

Well, good thing it isn't the political world's decision. VP pick is up to the discretion of the candidate and there's plenty of fine choices. 

And please, indulge me, who do you think will be her VP?

Dunno.

Not sure why it matters that I don't know though. I'm not going to care that much even if she picks a candidate that I think is a bad choice (like Chuck Schumer). 

I still don't really understand what you're getting at...

sundin13 said:
BFR said:

A google search says that per the 12th Amendment, an elector can't pick a Pres/VP combo where both people are from their state.

That means Kamala could pick Newsom, but either one of them would have to change their legal residence or forfeit California.

EDIT: I need to stop jumping into other people's conversations. Y'all are always faster than me lol

I know what you mean, hard to tell when someone is going to be away from the computer long enough that replying for them is worthwhile. Did you get any idea on the scenario I mentioned where you're both from a state you don't expect to win? Would that be allowed and risky or just not allowed? 

zorg1000 said:
Cyran said:

Bingo

There a few options out there but the two names that came to my head first for a good VP pick was

Josh Shapiro - Popular Pennsylvania governor a state she must win

Roy Cooper - Governor of North Carolina, could help put into play some southern states like North Carolina, Georgia

Those are both good picks, I also think Andy Beshear, not because Kentucky is in play but because he has the highest approval rating of any Democrat governor despite being in a heavily red state. That shows he does well with centrists/moderates/independents.

Honestly, they're all good options. I mentioned Andy Beshear a while ago because of his popularity in Kentucky. I personally believe that a Democrat who is popular is specifically in the rural Midwest (and for a reason, I might add) could potentially expand the map the most for the Democratic ticket. At least that's my opinion of what excellent PR would look like right now. Shapiro meanwhile, has been quite successful in Pennsylvania, as you say, and also the fact that he's Jewish could probably do a lot for the Democratic brand right now, as it's currently struggling with Jewish Americans in a way that it hasn't in my living memory. Let me also add Michigan's popular governor Gretchen Whitmer to the list of prospects. She brings an entire list of legislative accomplishments to the table that could genuinely excite younger voters and also, of course, hails from Michigan. All those are great running mate options who should be seriously considered.

Let me also mention one option that definitely should NOT be chosen: California Governor Gavin Newsom. He's been discussed far too much in the context of this election. Harris is from California. If the entire ticket hails from a safe blue state like California, I think that looks bad. It makes the party look insular. The idea here should be to expand the ticket's reach. Plus Newsom is unpopular there and frankly kind of a prick. Let's keep it to Midwestern prospects.

Around the Network

Ok, I stand corrected. Thank God for the 12th Amendment. But still, Sundin, I'm waiting on your Harris VP pick - just put your money where your mouth is.

Torillian said:
sundin13 said:

I know what you mean, hard to tell when someone is going to be away from the computer long enough that replying for them is worthwhile. Did you get any idea on the scenario I mentioned where you're both from a state you don't expect to win? Would that be allowed and risky or just not allowed? 

I agree with your assessment. It seems like it would be allowed, and if you're both from a state that you expect to lose, go for it. Otherwise, it seems like a tremendously awful idea, especially given the fact that VPs typically don't give much of a polling bump outside of their home state. Bad strategy in 99.9% of cases, but technically allowed. 

BFR said:
Torillian said:

It has to do with the 12th amendment.  It don't actually prevent them from being from same state but it does prevent electoral voters for voting for a president and vice president from there own state. Even though they on the ballad together the electoral college take separate votes for president and vice president.  It just design in current system to always be same result except in this one case.  Which mean California could not vote for both Harris for president and Newsom as vice president which would make a odd situation where Harris could win the presidency but JD Vance win the vice presidency since Newsom could not get California electoral votes if they already voted for Harris.

That being said Newsom if accepted VP would just sell his California home and move to another state just like Cheney moved to Wyoming when Bush picked him even through he was in Texas also before being picked.  There no rules on how long you have to live in a state just that it your current home state so issue fixed.  

BFR said:

Ok, I stand corrected. Thank God for the 12th Amendment. But still, Sundin, I'm waiting on your Harris VP pick - just put your money where your mouth is.

Wheres my mouth? 

What makes you think I have any idea? Not sure if you missed my post above, but I'm mostly just confused about what you're trying to say. 

sundin13 said:
BFR said:

Wheres my mouth? 

What makes you think I have any idea? Not sure if you missed my post above, but I'm mostly just confused about what you're trying to say. 

So sad, you believe Chuck Schumer will not be her VP pick, and yet you cannot name an alternate. So sad.