By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Biden vs Trump 2024 Political Platforms, Policies and Issues

Ryuu96 said:
LurkerJ said:

You can apply across the board, the tories privatisation and lack strong regulations meant our railways are now shit, because the "oh no, don't upset these mega corporations otherwise they'll take their money away" isn't a good way to govern. If Labour adopts left leaning policies and nationalises railways, bringing the country's transport to the same level London's public transport is operating on, that's a win the right failed to achieve. 

Don't forget how much of a failure the privatisation of water has been! Lol.

Can't change my provider either, someone just monopolised water, I am fucking impressed

Around the Network
LurkerJ said:
Ryuu96 said:

Don't forget how much of a failure the privatisation of water has been! Lol.

Can't change my provider either, someone just monopolised water, I am fucking impressed

You all talking about drinking water?  I don't recall drinking water being a problem.  I was surprised that most all the nice trout waterways were privately owned, and fishing is exceptionally restricted.  But I'm guessing you aren't talking about trout fishing?

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Ryuu96 said:
Mnementh said:

Well, the very, very cynical side of me cannot unsee, that the threat of chinese invasion in Taiwan puts pressure on TSMC and other chip manufacturers to move production to more safe havens for instance in the US. An outcome that would be most preferable to the US and which partly is already happening.

I fear that would just put Taiwan more at risk Tbh.

China doesn't want Taiwan only because of their manufacturing capabilities, they like Russia, are land grabbing crazies who think Taiwan is theirs by right, lets say Taiwan is no longer the global supplier of chips, how hard would countries then defend Taiwan against a superpower like China? It's starting to increasingly feel like unless your name is Israel, don't count on America on being an ally unless you can give them something in return.

Unfortunately true. I have to believe that they won't allow the SCS trade routes to be controlled by China and that'll give western help when the time comes. I hope anyway. 

Tober said:

Obviously not comparable in outcome. The 'Not my President' movement in 2016 did not lead to storming Capital hill. It did storm Trump Tower though, albeit with fewer consequences.

But 'butthurt' is a thing unfortunately, no matter who wins or loses. If you would ask the question at the end of Trump's presidency if people changed their mind over 'Not my President', than probably the answer few did.  It does not surprise me that many Trump voters still think the 2020 election was stolen. The important thing though is what people do with it in the day to day lives afterwards.

That's the trouble with peace negotiations in any war (no not calling the US elections a war). Even if everybody is sick of it and want the war to end, there will be someone demanding that there can be no piece unless the other side admits they where wrong. And because ego's don't want to do that, the war will continue even though it makes no sense. Everybody loses. The only way to get out of it is to let the past be the past and talk about how to move forward together.

I didn't get any Google results for the Trump Tower being under attack, and there was indeed nothing that happened. Protesters gathered outside of Trump Tower and that was pretty much it. No laws were violated, no arrests had to be made.

The way you have approached this topic leads me to believe that you've come across sources that are not credible at all.

The democrats, including POTUS Biden, have made efforts to bring the country together during the past four years. But it has all been pointless, because the other side has decided that it wants to continue to live in a make-believe world where feelings are always superior to facts.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:
Tober said:

Obviously not comparable in outcome. The 'Not my President' movement in 2016 did not lead to storming Capital hill. It did storm Trump Tower though, albeit with fewer consequences.

But 'butthurt' is a thing unfortunately, no matter who wins or loses. If you would ask the question at the end of Trump's presidency if people changed their mind over 'Not my President', than probably the answer few did.  It does not surprise me that many Trump voters still think the 2020 election was stolen. The important thing though is what people do with it in the day to day lives afterwards.

That's the trouble with peace negotiations in any war (no not calling the US elections a war). Even if everybody is sick of it and want the war to end, there will be someone demanding that there can be no piece unless the other side admits they where wrong. And because ego's don't want to do that, the war will continue even though it makes no sense. Everybody loses. The only way to get out of it is to let the past be the past and talk about how to move forward together.

I didn't get any Google results for the Trump Tower being under attack, and there was indeed nothing that happened. Protesters gathered outside of Trump Tower and that was pretty much it. No laws were violated, no arrests had to be made.

The way you have approached this topic leads me to believe that you've come across sources that are not credible at all.

The democrats, including POTUS Biden, have made efforts to bring the country together during the past four years. But it has all been pointless, because the other side has decided that it wants to continue to live in a make-believe world where feelings are always superior to facts.

I remember the day after seeing footage of people coming in and out of the Tower been thrown at with eggs, spit, verbal abuse, etc. Some arrest have been made in multiple cities. But I already said, the two are not comparable. Here are some references.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/thousands-us-protest-president-elect-donald-trump/story?id=43427653

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/10/us/trump-election-protests.html

I do not know why these sources are not credible.

I believe I have not made a single one-sided comment on this topic. It's important to understand confirmation bias is a thing.

Around the Network
Tober said:

I remember the day after seeing footage of people coming in and out of the Tower been thrown at with eggs, spit, verbal abuse, etc. Some arrest have been made in multiple cities. But I already said, the two are not comparable. Here are some references.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/thousands-us-protest-president-elect-donald-trump/story?id=43427653

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/10/us/trump-election-protests.html

I do not know why these sources are not credible.

I believe I have not made a single one-sided comment on this topic. It's important to understand confirmation bias is a thing.

My Google search landed me on "Not my President's Day", so different day. The sources you provide here confirm arrests for light violations; but it's like you say, it's not comparable to what happened on January 6. Leaves the question why you initially described it as "storming the Trump Tower" when nobody actually got inside and the police force apparently did not get hurt either.

I wouldn't say that you've made one-sided comments on this topic either, rather it's that you approach it too much from a "both sides" angle.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

zorg1000 said:
Tober said:

The road to unity is not a one-way-street.

Accepting other opinions exist is a good starting point. Same with collaboration & compromise, without it no society could exist.

I agree that collaboration & compromise are important, some of the biggest bills Biden has signed into law had at least some bipartisan support, bills like the Infrastructure Investment & Jobs Act, the CHIPS & Science Act, the PACT Act, the Safer Communities Act.

However some things can’t really be compromised, refer back to my previous post:

How does a trans person who is being denied gender affirming care unite with the people passing anti-trans legislation across the country?

How does a woman who’s forced to carry the child of their rapist or suffering from an ectopic pregnancy unite with the people who support strict abortion bans?

How do people who care about the environment and take climate change seriously unite with the people that want to roll back environmental regulations and repeal clean energy investments?

How does a parent who lost their child in a school shooting unite with the people who refuse to pass gun safety legislation?

How does someone who immigrated from another country unite with the people who treat them like they don’t belong and label them as “rapists, thieves & drug traffickers”?

How does a black person unite with the people who refuse to acknowledge that they are disproportionately targeted by the police?

How does a person who only has access to healthcare due to the Affordable Care Act unite with the people who tried and still want to repeal it?

How do people who had loved ones die from Covid unite with the people who didn’t take the pandemic seriously?

"How does a black person unite with the people who refuse to acknowledge that they are disproportionately targeted by the police?"

The Republican party refused to acknowledge it?

RolStoppable said:

My Google search landed me on "Not my President's Day", so different day. The sources you provide here confirm arrests for light violations; but it's like you say, it's not comparable to what happened on January 6. Leaves the question why you initially described it as "storming the Trump Tower" when nobody actually got inside and the police force apparently did not get hurt either.

I wouldn't say that you've made one-sided comments on this topic either, rather it's that you approach it too much from a "both sides" angle.

That's ok, can happen.

I'm not an American, have no vote in this. But I'm an intrigued spectator.

I try to find moderate commentary, but most outlet's report from a certain bias. Both ways. This is not only the case from established media, but also independent media. I guess having a more partisan/bias viewpoint creates more clicks. If you know a content creator with a more open minded approach on this, I would love to know.

For this reason I try to be as neutral as I can be. I think this will in the end give me the best understanding.

KLAMarine said:
zorg1000 said:

I agree that collaboration & compromise are important, some of the biggest bills Biden has signed into law had at least some bipartisan support, bills like the Infrastructure Investment & Jobs Act, the CHIPS & Science Act, the PACT Act, the Safer Communities Act.

However some things can’t really be compromised, refer back to my previous post:

How does a trans person who is being denied gender affirming care unite with the people passing anti-trans legislation across the country?

How does a woman who’s forced to carry the child of their rapist or suffering from an ectopic pregnancy unite with the people who support strict abortion bans?

How do people who care about the environment and take climate change seriously unite with the people that want to roll back environmental regulations and repeal clean energy investments?

How does a parent who lost their child in a school shooting unite with the people who refuse to pass gun safety legislation?

How does someone who immigrated from another country unite with the people who treat them like they don’t belong and label them as “rapists, thieves & drug traffickers”?

How does a black person unite with the people who refuse to acknowledge that they are disproportionately targeted by the police?

How does a person who only has access to healthcare due to the Affordable Care Act unite with the people who tried and still want to repeal it?

How do people who had loved ones die from Covid unite with the people who didn’t take the pandemic seriously?

"How does a black person unite with the people who refuse to acknowledge that they are disproportionately targeted by the police?"

Yes or they acknowledge it but refuse to do anything about it. Now obviously I don’t mean “each and every Republican politician & voter” but the general rhetoric among conservatives has been deflection.

The response to Black Lives Matter, which is meant to draw attention to the issue, has been met with the counterpoint All Lives Matter which completely ignores the issue.

Then there is legislation, in 2021 the Democrat controlled House introduced the Justice in Policing Act. It passed 220-212 with only a single Republican vote. It then died in the Senate as it did not have 10 Republican votes needed to overcome the filibuster.

here is the summary:

This bill addresses a wide range of policies and issues regarding policing practices and law enforcement accountability. It increases accountability for law enforcement misconduct, restricts the use of certain policing practices, enhances transparency and data collection, and establishes best practices and training requirements. 

The bill enhances existing enforcement mechanisms to remedy violations by law enforcement. Among other things, it does the following: 

• lowers the criminal intent standard—from willful to knowing or reckless—to convict a law enforcement officer for misconduct in a federal prosecution, 
  • limits qualified immunity as a defense to liability in a private civil action against a law enforcement officer, and
  • grants administrative subpoena power to the Department of Justice (DOJ) in pattern-or-practice investigations.

It establishes a framework to prevent and remedy racial profiling by law enforcement at the federal, state, and local levels. It also limits the unnecessary use of force and restricts the use of no-knock warrants, chokeholds, and carotid holds.

The bill creates a national registry—the National Police Misconduct Registry—to compile data on complaints and records of police misconduct. It also establishes new reporting requirements, including on the use of force, officer misconduct, and routine policing practices (e.g., stops and searches).

Finally, it directs DOJ to create uniform accreditation standards for law enforcement agencies and requires law enforcement officers to complete training on racial profiling, implicit bias, and the duty to intervene when another officer uses excessive force.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
KLAMarine said:

Yes or they acknowledge it but refuse to do anything about it. Now obviously I don’t mean “each and every Republican politician & voter” but the general rhetoric among conservatives has been deflection.

The response to Black Lives Matter, which is meant to draw attention to the issue, has been met with the counterpoint All Lives Matter which completely ignores the issue.

Then there is legislation, in 2021 the Democrat controlled House introduced the Justice in Policing Act. It passed 220-212 with only a single Republican vote. It then died in the Senate as it did not have 10 Republican votes needed to overcome the filibuster.

here is the summary:

This bill addresses a wide range of policies and issues regarding policing practices and law enforcement accountability. It increases accountability for law enforcement misconduct, restricts the use of certain policing practices, enhances transparency and data collection, and establishes best practices and training requirements. 

The bill enhances existing enforcement mechanisms to remedy violations by law enforcement. Among other things, it does the following: 

• lowers the criminal intent standard—from willful to knowing or reckless—to convict a law enforcement officer for misconduct in a federal prosecution, 
  • limits qualified immunity as a defense to liability in a private civil action against a law enforcement officer, and
  • grants administrative subpoena power to the Department of Justice (DOJ) in pattern-or-practice investigations.

It establishes a framework to prevent and remedy racial profiling by law enforcement at the federal, state, and local levels. It also limits the unnecessary use of force and restricts the use of no-knock warrants, chokeholds, and carotid holds.

The bill creates a national registry—the National Police Misconduct Registry—to compile data on complaints and records of police misconduct. It also establishes new reporting requirements, including on the use of force, officer misconduct, and routine policing practices (e.g., stops and searches).

Finally, it directs DOJ to create uniform accreditation standards for law enforcement agencies and requires law enforcement officers to complete training on racial profiling, implicit bias, and the duty to intervene when another officer uses excessive force.

zorg1000 said:
KLAMarine said:

here is the summary:

"Yes or they acknowledge it but refuse to do anything about it"

I'm reading there was attempts by Republicans to 'do something about it' but Democrats didn't like it so those efforts also died...

"The bill never advanced in 2020, due to opposition by Republicans, who then controlled the Senate. Republican senators led by Tim Scott proposed alternative police legislation that was far narrower than the House bill favored by Democrats...the Senate Republican proposal failed in a procedural vote of 55–45, on a mostly-party line vote"