By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tekken DOJO REBIRTH!

I wanted to ask you : do you know if there is a way to only put default outfit to the opponent when playing online ? Some people custom outfit are really ugly lol.

Around the Network
Hiku said:

Well business model aside, when a series keeps adding new characters, at some point it stops being feasible to include all in the original development budget for the game.

The first Tekken roster started off like this: (THAT'S TEKKEN 2 BTW and 2 of these characters are cut now)

And at this point there have been around 76 different playable characters throughout the series lifespan. (Counting all Jack versions as 1 character, etc).

Plus the original game didnt have a fraction of the modes that are in this one. Many of which are expected by today's standards.
And obviously, designing a single character today takes a lot longer than it did in 1996, both visually, and mechanically.

Guest characters are especially expensive and can be legally sensitive/difficult to arrange.

So at some point the budget baloons beyond what becomes reasonable for the expected return on the sales of the game.

Though I understand your point about how this can cause a pay to win situation.
However, keep in mind that they're also constantly re-balancing the game (for free, even though that also costs money), and if one DLC character is overpowered, they will hopefully balance them out to be more in line with the others.

I can understand many of these points, and understand why they are done. 7 had purchasable customisation options, but it was limited to 'gold' items or stuff like that when most normal in game stuff was free/purchasable via in game money. I'd hate for Tekken to other fighters to introduce a battle pass system, that has no place here and I fully understand why characters are charged for.

I admire the amount of work they put in and characters they added but for me, still doesn't make it great when 4 of the characters I played most in T7 are cut and will all probably end up behind a paywall. What do you think the best Eddy players in the world make of it? I guess that is the problem with making a character dependent game, especially in modern online era.

But then I will admit, I am I very bias on this one. I'd take Eddy, Lei and a Chang over half the roster we got and I don't even play Eddy or Julia much. I'd prefer characters from 1-3 main cast to be mainstays, then chop and change around that and bears should be 1 slot.

As for balancing, last years Evo final was between Kunimitsu vs Kunimitsu, all 3 rounds.

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand why they do it but also think about how far they might be willing to go, what character in the future will be cut for DLC. I did say to someone at Reddit that it's odd as if they did things the old way, a new game every 3 years or so, no DLC, just many classic characters and some new /modern ones each time, even making many changes, I'd be less annoyed and even they'd make more money from me. I'd be willing to buy a new game every few years over 1 per gen with just annual DLC.

Also, no Team Battle, like seriously, how hard is that to add?

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Hiku said:

Well business model aside, when a series keeps adding new characters, at some point it stops being feasible to include all in the original development budget for the game.

The first Tekken roster started off like this: (THAT'S TEKKEN 2 BTW and 2 of these characters are cut now)
Yeah I noticed that after the fact. Tekken 1 had a rather similar select screen, and a few less characters.

And at this point there have been around 76 different playable characters throughout the series lifespan. (Counting all Jack versions as 1 character, etc).

Plus the original game didnt have a fraction of the modes that are in this one. Many of which are expected by today's standards.
And obviously, designing a single character today takes a lot longer than it did in 1996, both visually, and mechanically.

Guest characters are especially expensive and can be legally sensitive/difficult to arrange.

So at some point the budget baloons beyond what becomes reasonable for the expected return on the sales of the game.

Though I understand your point about how this can cause a pay to win situation.
However, keep in mind that they're also constantly re-balancing the game (for free, even though that also costs money), and if one DLC character is overpowered, they will hopefully balance them out to be more in line with the others.

I can understand many of these points, and understand why they are done. 7 had purchasable customisation options, but it was limited to 'gold' items or stuff like that when most normal in game stuff was free/purchasable via in game money. I'd hate for Tekken to other fighters to introduce a battle pass system, that has no place here and I fully understand why characters are charged for.

I admire the amount of work they put in and characters they added but for me, still doesn't make it great when 4 of the characters I played most in T7 are cut and will all probably end up behind a paywall. What do you think the best Eddy players in the world make of it? I guess that is the problem with making a character dependent game, especially in modern online era.

But then I will admit, I am I very bias on this one. I'd take Eddy, Lei and a Chang over half the roster we got and I don't even play Eddy or Julia much. I'd prefer characters from 1-3 main cast to be mainstays, then chop and change around that and bears should be 1 slot.

As for balancing, last years Evo final was between Kunimitsu vs Kunimitsu, all 3 rounds.

(With how many fighting games have had balance updates rolled out a few months after EVO, I feel like that may be planned since a lot of what happens there heavily affects public opinion on the characters.)

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand why they do it but also think about how far they might be willing to go, what character in the future will be cut for DLC. I did say to someone at Reddit that it's odd as if they did things the old way, a new game every 3 years or so, no DLC, just many classic characters and some new /modern ones each time, even making many changes, I'd be less annoyed and even they'd make more money from me. I'd be willing to buy a new game every few years over 1 per gen with just annual DLC.

Also, no Team Battle, like seriously, how hard is that to add?

Yeah, after Tekken Tag 2, the time it took for Tekken 7 to release was 5 years, and then 7 years after that we got Tekken 8.
While adding new dlc characters, new moves and and re-balancing the game can enhance it's lifespan, it also takes more time to develop them now than back in the PS1/PS2 age.

But even if we could go back to the age where we could expect a new entry in a fighting game series every few years, I don't think I want that for games I enjoy.

I played Street Fighter 4 and Tag 2 for 5+ years. But when Street Fighter V and Tekken 7 came out, I didn't get into them.
Part of the reason for that is that my main characters were either no longer in those games at all (not even as DLC, except Rose who was added 5 years later), or they played rather differently, in a way I didn't like as much.

And I just didn't like the feel and mechanics of SFV in general.

There's no guarantee that you'll like the next game, or that people's favorite characters will be in them at all.
So I would like a chance to play a fighting game I like for a bit longer, with support and updates to keep things fresh.
Once the next entry drops, support tends to stop, and it can be more difficult to find online matches.

You asked how Eddy mains will feel now that he's DLC, and that sucks I'm sure.
But my main (Jun) was gone throughout the entierity of Tekken 7. I wish she was DLC at least, then maybe I would have gotten into it.

Last edited by Hiku - on 30 January 2024

Love the story of tekken and the gameplay of the early street fighters

BiON!@ 

Hiku said:

There's no guarantee that you'll like the next game, or that people's favorite characters will be in them at all.
So I would like a chance to play a fighting game I like for a bit longer, with support and updates to keep things fresh.
Once the next entry drops, support tends to stop, and it can be more difficult to find online matches.

But my main (Jun) was gone throughout the entierity of Tekken 7. I wish she was DLC at least, then maybe I would have gotten into it.

You are right, there is no guarantee I'll like the next game but I wasn't that fond of 7 and had to stick with it (or play it the least I've ever played any Tekken, for an entire generation. Buying a new game every few years vs 1 per gen? If they released 2-3 games per gen they'd get £100-150, depending on RRP and games released, from me. If they released 1 with seasonal DLC, they'd get the RRP of the main game then if then I might buy the the collection on sale for £10 later, thst's only £80 max. That's my point, I don't like the latest one? Well, it's fine, I don't have to wait an entire gen for the next and they get more revenue from me.

The span between games issue is another issue entirely. 

I would say 'Jun' only had 1 game that her fighting style didn't make it into, 4. They introduced Asuka for the people that wanted Jun. This is why I have a slight gripe at the idea of no certain style of fighters but 2 Kazama.

But like I said, I know why they do all this, whether or not I am unhappy with it. Because unlike me, the obsessives will always buy DLC.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
The Fury said:
Hiku said:

You are right, there is no guarantee I'll like the next game but I wasn't that fond of 7 and had to stick with it (or play it the least I've ever played any Tekken, for an entire generation. Buying a new game every few years vs 1 per gen? If they released 2-3 games per gen they'd get £100-150, depending on RRP and games released, from me. If they released 1 with seasonal DLC, they'd get the RRP of the main game then if then I might buy the the collection on sale for £10 later, thst's only £80 max. That's my point, I don't like the latest one? Well, it's fine, I don't have to wait an entire gen for the next and they get more revenue from me.

The span between games issue is another issue entirely. 

I would say 'Jun' only had 1 game that her fighting style didn't make it into, 4. They introduced Asuka for the people that wanted Jun. This is why I have a slight gripe at the idea of no certain style of fighters but 2 Kazama.

But like I said, I know why they do all this, whether or not I am unhappy with it. Because unlike me, the obsessives will always buy DLC.

There is the chance of not liking the next game. But if we move on from game to game 2-3 times per gen, then every game is guaranteed to have a shorter lifespan than I would like.
And since I play several fighting game franchises and only have so much time, it can take quite a while before I learn it properly.

As for Jun, by the time she returned in TTT2, her and Asuka were quite different. And it was mainly the new things they gave her that made me like the character. (And they gave her a lot of new stuff, to make up for all the games she missed)
I wasn't a big fan of Tekken 2 Jun, but the new Jun is one of the most elegant and fun to play characters I've ever used.

My favorite launcher btw^

So Asuka did not scratch that itch for me since she doesn't have any of the moves/stances they gave Jun in TTT2. And Jun recieved significantly more new moves than a normal character would inbetween games since she missed about 5 iterations of Tekken games. (4, 5, 5:DR, 6, 6:BR).
Among the moves they still share, their properties are mainly different, lending themselves to different playstyles, since Asuka developed more into a brawler style.

Last edited by Hiku - on 31 January 2024

Tekken 7 was probably the last Tekken I will buy. I was a religious purchaser from Tekken 1 to 7.
Putting characters behind a paywall and lack of team battle just turned me off of the series.

I'm on Chapter 8 of this story mode and Tekken has (had already) jumped the shark. I miss the days where the Devil was just a evil entity that the Mishima's were continuously enticed by. A realistic fighting game with supernatural elements. 

Xxain said:

I'm on Chapter 8 of this story mode and Tekken has (had already) jumped the shark. I miss the days where the Devil was just a evil entity that the Mishima's were continuously enticed by. A realistic fighting game with supernatural elements. 

Not sure what you mean exactly, but Tekken has had rather unserious elements for a long time.

Hiku said:
Xxain said:

Not sure what you mean exactly, but Tekken has had rather unserious elements for a long time.

This isn't a case of unserious moments. This story felt like something written for a Shonen anime. There is nothing "Tekken" about the story. The only thing I liked about it, is that for Tekken 9, Kazuya will definitely be the protagonist and get his redemption ark.