By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts December 2023 Discussion Thread

Link to the VGChartz article here.

PS5 vs PS4 Sales Comparison in the US - December 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

PS5 Vs. PS4 US:

Gap change in latest month: 8,203 - PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,696,858 - PS5

Total Lead: 1,220,601 - PS5

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 18,695,900

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 17,475,299

December 2023 is the 38th month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 4 when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 5 by 8,203 units.

In the last 12 months, the PS5 has outsold the PS4 by 1.70 million units. The PS5 is currently ahead of the PS4 by 1.22 million units.

The PS5 has sold 18.70 million units in 37 months, while the PS4 sold 17.48 million units. Month 38 for the PS5 is December 2023 and for the PS4 is December 2016.

The PS4 crossed 20 million in month 47, 25 million in month 57, and 30 million in month 71. The PS4 has sold 34.91 million units to date in the US. The PS5 is 16.21 million units behind lifetime PS4 sales in the US.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

I think it's very possible for PS5 to outsell the PS4 in the US.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

I'd be shocked if it didn't; Xbox Series is putting up weaker competition than even the Xbox One, and this gen will probably last longer than the 8th.

curl-6 said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

I'd be shocked if it didn't; Xbox Series is putting up weaker competition than even the Xbox One, and this gen will probably last longer than the 8th.

Yeah, but then, at first I thought Series X would outsell the Xbox One easily. Now I have my doubts.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah, but then, at first I thought Series X would outsell the Xbox One easily. Now I have my doubts.

There's no sign of PS5 having any of the problems that have caused Xbox Series to trend below the Xbone though. 

Xbox's loss is Sony's gain; if millions of Xbone owners don't buy a Series, a considerable amount of them will get a PS5 instead.

Around the Network

Not sure the Switch will outsell the DS before the new generation Switch is out. I think Nintendo gave it all in 2023 with major own IP (Zelda and Mario) entries that year. What title could bring major sales to the Switch in 2024 ?

Quaellezed said:

Not sure the Switch will outsell the DS before the new generation Switch is out. I think Nintendo gave it all in 2023 with major own IP (Zelda and Mario) entries that year. What title could bring major sales to the Switch in 2024 ?

There is no title currently scheduled for this year that is remotely close to ToTK in system seller potential so yes, over the summer months especially sales are going to be very slow compared to last year. Obviously Switch won't reach DS sales by the time the Switch 2 comes out but it still has the potential to beat it afterwards. But it will be quite close imo.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Sales Comparison in the US - December 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.

The PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S both launched in November 2020. The Xbox Series X|S launched in the US on November 10, 2020, and the PlayStation 5 on November 12, 2020.

PS5 Vs. XSX|S US:

Gap change in latest month: 404,331 - PS5

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,887,214 - PS5

Total Lead: 5,111,395 - PS5

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 18,695,900

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 13,584,505

December 2023 is the 38th month the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox Series X|S by 404,331 units.

In the last 12 months, the PlayStation 5 has outsold Xbox Series X|S by 2.89 million units. The PlayStation 5 is currently ahead by 5.11 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 18.70 million units in the US in 38 months, while the Xbox Series X|S sold 13.58 million units. The PlayStation 5 has a 57.9 percent marketshare (+2.8% year-over-year), compared to 42.1 percent for the Xbox Series X|S (-2.8% year-over-year).

The PlayStation 5 is currently 1.22 million units ahead the PlayStation 4 in the US when you align launches, while the Xbox Series X|S is behind the Xbox One by 2.29 million.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Switch vs DS Sales Comparison - December 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo DS.

The DS launched in November 2004 in North America, December 2004 in Japan, and March 2005 in Europe, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. DS Global:

Gap change in latest month: 2,672,043 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 672,266 - DS

Total Lead: 10,374,531 - DS

Switch Total Sales: 136,258,010

DS Total Sales: 146,632,541

December 2023 is the 82nd month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 2.67 million units when compared to the DS during the same timeframe.

In the last 12 months, the DS has outsold the Switch by 0.67 million units. The DS is ahead of the Switch by 10.37 million units.

The 82nd month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is December 2023, while for the DS it is August 2011. The Switch has sold 136.26 million units, while the DS sold 146.63 million units during the same timeframe.

The Nintendo DS sold 154.02 million units lifetime. The Nintendo Switch is currently 17.76 million units behind the lifetime sales of the DS.

Switch should pass the DS in Japan sometime around the Summer of this year. As for worldwide that will take longer. I still think Switch has another 30m left in the tank for sales, but I don't think it will catch the DS this year globally.