By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Israel-Hamas war, Gaza genocide

SvennoJ said:
Cobretti2 said:

Because of the optics of singling out the protests and history of countries being against Jews trying to wipe them out.

Atm there is genocide in Ukraine, Sudan, Christians in Nigeria, Hazara Shias in Afghanistan, North Korea, Minorities in Myanmar, Uyghur in China, Ethiopia, Congo etc.

Yet no protests for these?  They don't exist because no one seems to care (hence why I said hypocrisy is human's greatest weakness in another post), but when Israel does it, it is wrong and protests break out all over the world? 

This is why the optics look bad, when you single out one genocide, especially against a race that was on the receiving end on genocide recently in our history.

The difference is, USA and Europe are not backing the genocide in Ukraine, Sudan etc.
USA and Europe are not defending the genocide in Ukraine, Sudan, etc.
USA is not using there veto power to protect the one carrying out the genocide.
USA is not sending 27 billion extra to Russia to carry on killing Ukrainians.
There is no destruction of international law to defend the genocides in Ukraine, Sudan, etc.

And more importantly, there are no daily images of children getting blown up and pulled out from under the rubble of houses bombed with US ammunition.

It's also the intensity, never before has a situation deteriorated so fast with so many deaths and destruction.

Ukraine after 2 years:

Key facts: As of 22 February 2024 (the latest data available), 30,457 civilians were killed and wounded, including 10,582 civilians killed in the conflict, including 587 children. A total of 9,241 people have been killed by explosive weapons with wide area effects, and mines and explosive remnants of war.

Gaza after 6 months:

https://reliefweb.int/report/occupied-palestinian-territory/200-days-military-attack-gaza-horrific-death-toll-amid-intl-failure-stop-israels-genocide-palestinians-enar

The Israeli army has killed 42,510 Palestinians over the course of its 200-day attack, 38,621 of whom were civilians, including 10,091 women and 15,780 children. The bodies of several thousand are still stuck under the rubble, while thousands remain missing and are presumed dead. These statistics include the killing of 137 journalists, 356 medical personnel, and 42 civil defense personnel.

And since you call those other conflicts genocide, how is Gaza not a genocide?

Gaza exposed the West for its hypocrisy and double standards. You can condemn the other genocides, but not the one carried out by Israel and the USA.

Gaza is genocide, I was more referring that there are also other genocides happening and no one cares and is protesting against those ones like they are with Gaza.

Hypocrisy is my whole point, we are one race and to me they are all equally as bad irrespective of who is backing who in committing the act. The only way people will learn to think equally is if they put themselves in say a Judge's shoes. Consistent results must be the outcome of the same conditions. For example, a drunk driver runs a red light and kill someone, the Judge doesn't know them, he sentences them to 10 years jail. In another scenario the Judge's mother is the drunk driver, so if he sentenced one to 10 years (a stranger), to be consistent, he should also sentence his own mother to 10 years jail. Cannot have bias. I have asked a similar question of many people, your mother gets run over an you are the passenger in the same car, what would you do. A lot of people say they would beat the shit or kill the driver. hen I say ok it was your bother who did it, what would you do, their actions suddenly change.

Back on topic, World War 2 wasn't so long ago, there be people who still be alive and also first generation children of those who were in WW2. For most part, a lot of people suffered, but the Jews had it the worst. This is the stories people know and have lived. Their views are vastly different to those who are 2 to 3 generations since as those stories are no longer passed on in great detail or the impact that was felt is not the same as for most part these generations have not experienced war or the famine/rebuild that followed.

So when those people see such protests but not for the others, the optics appear to be anti-Semitic even though younger generations know they are not.

My grandparents hated Germans till the day they died as they experience WW2, my dad hates them because of stories his parents use too tell him right after the war when he was born. He also hates Russians because of the communist bullshit that he grew up under. I experienced that first hand and have similar feels towards Russia, my younger brother never did so he is different lol. My grandparents tired to make me hate Germans but in reality I could not relate to it as I did not experience it first hand. However for most part of my life I have lived in Australia and we are so far away from all the chaos the mentality here is so vastly different. Our biggest issues are kids parents complaining that private school have outdate hair cut policies. 

So what I am saying is that having grown up between these two world views, I can see why a lot of older people call it anti-Semitic but younger people don't. 

Around the Network

Israel frustrated with US handling of talks: Report

Israeli officials have told Axios that the US government knew about the ceasefire deal proposal Egypt and Qatar negotiated with Hamas, but it did not inform Israel before Hamas announced yesterday it agreed to it.

Three Israeli officials said Hamas’s announcement took the Israeli government by surprise, according to the publication. Israel did not get the text of the group’s response from the mediators until an hour after Hamas released its statement, the officials said.

When the Israeli side read Hamas’s response, they were surprised to see it contained “many new elements” that were not part of a previous proposal that Israel agreed on and that was presented to Hamas by the US, Egypt and Qatar 10 days ago, according to the officials.

“It looked like a whole new proposal,” one official was quoted as saying by Axios. A senior US official pushed back, telling the website that “American diplomats have been engaged with Israeli counterparts. There have been no surprises.

Israeli envoy says US must ‘completely stop funding’ UN if Palestinian statehood endorsed

Israel’s Ambassador to the UN Gilad Erdan has denounced a UN General Assembly (UNGA) draft resolution that would recognise Palestine as qualified to become a full UN member, saying it goes against the organisation’s founding Charter.

“If it is approved, I expect the United States to completely stop funding the UN and its institutions, in accordance with American law,” Erdan said. US law stipulates that Washington can’t fund any UN body if it grants full membership to any group that lacks “internationally recognised attributes” of statehood.

The resolution, which UN General Assembly members could vote on this Friday, will serve as a global survey on support for the Palestinian bid. If passed, the resolution would recommend that the UN Security Council (UNSC) “reconsider the matter favourably”, after the US vetoed the Palestinian application for full membership last month.

Any application to become a full member requires approval from all 15 UNSC members and then the UNGA.

Mid-level Israeli team heads to Cairo to assess Hamas position: Report

Quoting a senior Israeli official, Reuters reports that a team of mid-ranking Israeli officials will go to Cairo in the next few hours to assess whether Hamas can be persuaded to shift on its latest ceasefire offer.

The official reiterated that the proposal as it currently stands was unacceptable to Israel. “This delegation is made up of mid-level envoys. Were there a credible deal in the offing, the principals would be heading the delegation,” the official told Reuters.

Hamas accuses Israel of sabotaging ceasefire talks

In a statement, Hamas has said Israel’s military incursion in the Rafah crossing is aimed at thwarting the continuing ceasefire talks.

“By deciding to close the Rafah and Kerem Shalom [Karem Abu Salem] border crossing, Israel is leading the region toward a disaster and continues its policy of starvation and persecution of [Palestinians],” said Hamas, which on Monday accepted a three-phase ceasefire deal proposed by Egyptian and Qatari mediators.

In its statement, the Palestinian group also urged for “international intervention” to push Israel towards a ceasefire, saying it holds the administration of US President Joe Biden and the international community fully responsible for the war’s continuation.

Gaza ceasefire proposal: What did Hamas agree to?

UN says its access to Rafah crossing ‘denied’ by Israel

The United Nations says Israeli authorities have denied access to the Rafah crossing into southern Gaza.

“We currently do not have any physical presence at the Rafah crossing as our access … has been denied by COGAT,” said Jens Laerke, a spokesman for the UN’s humanitarian agency OCHA, referring to the Israeli agency that oversees supplies into the Palestinian territories.

Israeli military takes control of Rafah crossing

Watch the moment Israeli tanks rolled into the Palestinian side of the Rafah border crossing between the Gaza Strip and Egypt.

Israeli military vehicles operate at the Rafah crossing on May 7

Border crossings have been the ‘lifeblood’ for Palestinians: UNRWA

Sam Rose, director of planning at the UNRWA, spoke to Al Jazeera about the closure by Israel of Gaza’s border crossings. He said Israel’s push to close the Rafah crossing and the Karem Abu Salem crossing – which Israel calls Kerem Shalom – has had “devastating impacts for the people of Gaza who are already on the verge of famine”.

The crossings have been the “lifeblood for the small amounts of goods that have been coming into Gaza since October”. “There’s no ability for desalination plants to operate and provide safe water. There’s no electricity; it cuts off everything,” Rose said.

The UN agency, he added, has a host of immediate concerns, in particular, the fuel shortage in the enclave as well as the humanitarian impacts of the Israeli military operation, which appears to have started in eastern Rafah.

Closure of Rafah crossing a death sentence: Gaza crossings authority

Hisham Edwan, spokesperson for the Gaza border crossing authority, says that Israeli forces have “sentenced the residents of the Strip to death” by shuttering the Rafah border crossing with Egypt.

The closure of the crossing, which is a vital aid lifeline for Gaza and the only exit point for sick and wounded Palestinians, is especially grave for cancer patients who need treatment, Edwan said.

More from the UN OCHA on Rafah border crossing

“The two main arteries for getting aid into Gaza are currently choked off,” Jens Laerk says, adding that UN agencies have very low stocks inside the Gaza Strip since humanitarian supplies are consumed immediately.

“If no fuel comes in for a prolonged period of time, it would be a very effective way of putting the humanitarian operation in its grave,” he said.

Rafah’s dialysis patients fear the worst with potential hospital closure

An elderly dialysis patient in Rafah has told Al Jazeera she could die if she is unable to reach al-Najjar Hospital, located within the Israeli military’s declared red zone, as the military intensifies its operation in the city.

The patient, Laila al-Eid, said she and others rely on dialysis treatment at the facility for their kidney conditions and fear they will have nowhere to turn “if the hospital is attacked”. “If I don’t get daily treatment, toxins will spread in my body”, al-Eid told Al Jazeera.

Many more sick and wounded in Rafah, who already struggle to access basic healthcare, are at greater risk with the closure of the Rafah crossing, a vital aid lifeline and the only exit point from the enclave.

Rafah’s Kuwaiti Hospital overloaded with cases, says director

Suhaib al-Hamas, the director of Kuwaiti Hospital, says the facility is teeming with dozens of wounded patients as Israel’s military operation intensifies in the city, reports the Wafa news agency.

The hospital is receiving more patients than usual since the city’s main public health facility, al-Najjar Hospital, is now located within the Israeli military’s red zone and unable to take them in.

But Kuwaiti Hospital does not have enough beds, health supplies, or fuel to remain operational at its current pace for much longer, al-Hamas said in comments carried by Wafa. Even the facility’s X-ray machine has stopped working due to overuse, he added.

Rafah border closure means ‘people will die’

Mustafa Barghouti, the secretary-general of the Palestinian National Initiative, says Israel’s closure of the Rafah border crossing will have a “terrible impact” on the people of Gaza.

He told Al Jazeera that the border closing will deplete already scarce humanitarian aid supplies and cut off the only exit point for thousands of sick and wounded Palestinians, including cancer patients, who need treatment abroad.

“People will die,” Barghouti said. “Die because of these Israeli measures, in addition of course to the possible massacre that could take place if Israel continues its military operation in Rafah.”

He added: “It’s a terrible disaster. This all happens at a time when Hamas declares it has accepted the ceasefire agreement.”

People flee Rafah in search of a ‘tiny bit of safety’

The Israeli military has taken over the eastern part of Rafah city under intense bombing, fire and artillery shelling.

The Gaza Strip right now is sealed off, cut off completely from the rest of the region. Not only will taking over the Rafah crossing prevent people from leaving or coming into Gaza, but it is going to stop the flow of humanitarian aid.

This, all together, is causing a great deal of trauma for the 1.5 million people in Rafah who have already been displaced and traumatised. They are evacuating for the third, the fourth and the fifth time.

I’ve seen hundreds of cars taking people to other parts of Gaza as people take the matter into their own hands, trying to find just a tiny bit of safety, but knowing there’s no safe place at all in Gaza.

‘Chaos’ in central Gaza as Palestinians fleeing Rafah seek shelter

It is not only people on the eastern side of Rafah that are evacuating … a lot of people from different areas [of Rafah] that were not designated as red are also evacuating to the middle area and Khan Younis.

It’s packed. People are not even finding a place to set up a tent. They are setting up their tents near the beach, very close to the coastline, on agricultural land.

Two hospitals are also evacuating their patients to the central area. The situation is chaos. All the streets are filled with cars and people putting all their stuff on their cars. You can see mats and pillows on every car that is coming from the south. Palestinians do not know what they’re going to do, where they’re going to settle, and they’re 100 percent sure that Deir el-Balah is also not safe.

There’s no guarantee that evacuating from Rafah will keep them safe from the Israeli air strikes and shelling and artillery.

People in Rafah know there ‘is no safe place in the entire Gaza Strip’

The situation is getting more difficult by the hour with the presence of the Israeli military. Its tanks and armoured vehicles in the area are causing more waves of panic for an already traumatised, displaced 1.5 million Palestinians in overcrowded Rafah.

Within the past hour or so, many injured people have arrived at Kuwaiti Hospital. They are from the vicinity of the Rafah crossing, as well as from areas that were heavily bombed in overnight attacks on the eastern part of the city.

More leaflets have been dropped within the past 45 minutes in the eastern area of Rafah city and the western part of Salah al-Din Street, ordering people to leave the area. There’s a sense of chaos as people don’t have much trust in the Israeli narrative.

They’re taking matters into their own hands. They’re going to areas that they think may provide some safety for them and their family members, but they realise there is no safe place in the entire Gaza Strip.

People are moving to areas hoping and praying that it’s going to be safe.

Around the Network

Gaza death toll rises

At least 34,789 Palestinians have been killed and 78,204 wounded in Israeli attacks on Gaza since October 7, its Health Ministry says. The ministry added that 54 people were killed and 96 injured in the latest 24-hour reporting period.

Hamas’s armed wings claims it launched rockets at Israeli troops at Gaza border crossing

In a statement, the Qassam Brigades said it has fired rockets at the Karem Abu Salem (Kerem Shalom) crossing near Israel, targeting a “gathering of enemy forces”.

Israel closed the Karem Abu Salem crossing in southern Gaza over the weekend after Hamas claimed an attack on it that killed four Israeli soldiers.

Israeli shelling hits children near Nuseirat camp

Israel’s military has shelled an area in Nuseirat camp in central Gaza, causing numerous injuries, including of children, report our colleagues on the ground.

Nuseirat is one of the areas in central Gaza that Palestinians fleeing Rafah, where Israel’s military has launched a limited incursion, have begun heading to. But even as they flee, they know no area is fully safe from Israeli military attacks, reports Al Jazeera’s Hind Khoudary.

The aftermath of Israeli strikes on homes in Rafah

Video clip captures moment of fierce Israeli strikes on Rafah

Our colleagues at Al Jazeera Arabic have verified and shared a video clip of Israeli strikes on Rafah in the south of the Gaza Strip where Palestinians have started to flee before an Israeli military ground invasion.

Israel has announced the start of its military operation against Rafah, despite warnings from the UN, US, the EU and international humanitarian organisations that an attack on Rafah would be catastrophic for the estimated 1.4 million people sheltering there.

‘Never in my life have I ever seen bombardment like this’

A man in Rafah has described the night of heavy Israeli attacks. Here’s his account: “Intense bombardment, very very intense bombardment … Air strikes, rockets, artillery shelling, tank shelling, drones – all firing at us!

“Never in my life – I am 69 years old – have I ever seen bombardment like this, and I have witnessed several wars. I have never seen a war like this one.

“And I really wanted to leave, to evacuate, but I couldn’t. The reason was that I found this injured young man. We rescued him, but the whole area is completely and utterly destroyed.”

Israeli missile fired at mosque in central Rafah

What’s been disturbing is the expansion of the bombing campaign.

Within the past half hour, a drone fired a warning missile at a mosque in the centre of Rafah city. This happened near a market area that was very busy with people, with many trying to restock and buy supplies on their way out of Rafah.

The strike caused a great deal of mayhem and panic, with people starting to run and flee the area. We’ve learned the missile that was fired at the mosque was a warning shot, in preparation for completely bombing the mosque. We don’t know when that’s going to happen.

My old university got attacked by police as well

Dutch police end pro-Palestinian demonstration at Amsterdam university

Dutch riot police have ended a pro-Palestinian demonstration at the University of Amsterdam this morning, arresting some 125 people in sometimes violent clashes, according to authorities.

In messages posted overnight on X, police said they had to act to stop the event and dismantle tents set up by protesters, who used violence against police at the site. “The police’s input was necessary to restore order. We see the footage on social media. We understand that those images may appear as intense,” police said.

Local media showed demonstrators shooting fireworks at police officers but there were no immediate reports of injuries on either side. “All is now quiet … police stay in the vicinity of the Roeterseiland campus,” police said later on X.

Not surprising, a peaceful demonstration by students I joined in The Hague 28 years ago was broken up by military police. The Netherlands has only gotten worse since then, I'm glad I left.

Israeli protesters call on Netanyahu to accept truce deal

Pressure is building on Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at home, after Hamas agreed to a ceasefire proposal brokered by Qatar and Egypt. Thousands of people held demonstrations in Tel Aviv, demanding the government accept the deal and bring the captives held in Gaza back home.

Pro-Palestine campus protests spread to the Nordic countries

Students gather at an encampment with Palestinian flags at the University of Copenhagen’s City Campus in Copenhagen, Denmark, on May 6

Pro-Palestine protesters set up encampment at Naples University

Pro-Palestinian demonstrations and sit-ins continue to spread at universities around the world. An encampment has now been set up on a lawn located in the centre of Italy’s University of Naples Federico II, one of the world’s oldest academic institutions.

There have been regular pro-Palestine protests across Italy since Israel’s war on Gaza began seven months ago.

Police break up pro-Palestine protest at Berlin university

The German police have broken up a protest by hundreds of pro-Palestinian activists who had occupied a courtyard of Berlin’s Free University earlier today.

The protesters had put up about 20 tents and formed a human chain around the tents. Police called on the protesters via loudspeakers to leave the campus.

Most protesters had covered their faces with medical masks and had draped keffiyehs around their heads, shouting slogans like “viva, viva Palestina”, meaning “long live, Palestine”.

In recent days, students have protested or set up encampments in Finland, Denmark, Italy, Spain, France, and the UK.

Police detain a person during a pro-Palestinian demonstration by the group Student Coalition Berlin at Freie Universitat Berlin in Berlin, Germany, May 7

Berlin university protesters demanded ‘genocide be stopped’

Police officers are inspecting what’s left from the sit-in protest that took place here for several hours. Earlier, they moved in to break up what had been taking place here when several hundred people decided to congregate and protest.

The officers moved in, taking people away, detaining them in ones, twos and threes, and dragging people away. We now have to wait to find out whether charges will be presented, but clearly, the university authorities wanted these people away.

The demands of the people were pretty clear, basically saying that it’s time that Germany should take part in the protest movement around the world.

They demand that the genocide, they say, that it’s taking place in Gaza be stopped. They also say that students who take part in these protests should not be banned from doing so and should not lose their status as students – that is something that many students who’ve taken part in protests are afraid of.

The question is going to be now that this has been broken up, will they come back? Will they target other universities in this city in the coming days and weeks? That’s to be seen.

Pro-Palestinian demonstrators at the protest camp in Freie Universitat Berlin

Israel’s expanded military operation in Rafah ‘must end now’: WHO

Hanan Balkhy, the World Health Organization’s (WHO) regional director for the Eastern Mediterranean, says Israel’s incursion into Rafah is putting the lives of 1.5 million people, including 600,000 children, “in grave danger” and “must end now”.

While the the UN’s health agency and its partners “are committed to staying and delivering” services in Rafah, Balkhy wrote in a post on X, this requires “unimpeded access of aid through the Rafah border crossing, which must be urgently reopened”.

“An urgent ceasefire in Gaza is needed now, for humanity’s sake,” Balkhy said.

WHO and UN teams evacuate people from Ahli Arab Hospital in Gaza City

US still pushing for captives deal: Report

In its first response to the Israeli army seizing control of the Rafah crossing, the US State Department has only said that it has made its views on a major ground invasion of that area clear to Israel.

“We continue to believe that a hostage deal is in the best interest of the Israeli and the Palestinian people; it would bring an immediate ceasefire and allow increased humanitarian assistance into Gaza,” a spokesperson told the Reuters news agency.

International agencies must leave Rafah areas with active military operations: Israeli gov’t

In a statement cited by Reuters news agency, an Israeli government spokesperson called on international organisations to evacuate from areas of Rafah where military operations are ongoing.

The spokesperson claimed that aid is continuing to flow into the enclave despite the military incursion.

But in recent days, Israel has shut off the two major border crossings used to get aid into Gaza, including the Rafah crossing, totally cutting off Rafah from the outside world and blocking the limited aid that had been allowed in.

For months, aid groups have warned that Israel’s restrictions on aid flow into Gaza are bringing the enclave to the brink of famine.

‘I’m disturbed and distressed’ by Israeli military operations in Rafah: UN chief

The UN secretary-general has appealed to all parties involved in the Gaza war to do everything possible to get a ceasefire deal done and prevent further deaths and destruction after seven months of war.

“I reiterate my call to both parties to show political courage and spare no effort to secure an agreement now to stop the bloodshed, to free the hostages and to help stabilize the region, which is still at risk of explosion,” Antonio Guterres said in a video address.

The UN chief spoke after Hamas said it had agreed to a truce proposal, but Israel said it did not and instead launched a ground incursion into eastern Rafah.

“This is a crucial opportunity that the region – and indeed the world – cannot miss,” Guterres said of the peace talks. “I’m disturbed and distressed by the renewed military activity in Rafah.”

Death and destruction as Israeli air raids pound Rafah

Palestinians look at the destruction after an Israeli raid on a residential building in Rafah

Palestinians mourn their relatives killed in the Israeli bombardment of Rafah

Amnesty says Rafah assault to further compound ‘unspeakable suffering of Palestinians’

The rights group has called on the international community to pressure Israel to immediately halt its ground operations in Rafah and ensure unfettered access for humanitarian aid in Gaza.

“The Israeli military must also rescind their order to civilians to ‘evacuate’ eastern Rafah unless they can guarantee the population’s safety, which is highly unlikely under the intense military attacks that Israel has been relentlessly conducting for seven months across the entire Gaza Strip,” Erika Guevara-Rosas, Amnesty International’s senior director of research, advocacy, policy and campaigns, said in a statement.

Guevara-Rosas said Israel’s long-threatened, large-scale ground operation in Rafah would further compound “the unspeakable suffering of the Palestinians in Gaza”.

“Palestinian civilians in Gaza are human beings, not pawns to be moved around a chessboard at the whim of the Israeli authorities. The notion that displaced civilians are safe anywhere in Gaza has proved a fallacy time and again as the Israeli military has attacked areas it had previously designated as safe.”

‘Haven’t civilians suffered enough death and destruction?’ Guterres asks

The UN chief warns Israel that an assault on Rafah, where 1.4 million Palestinians are sheltering, would “be a strategic mistake, a political calamity and a humanitarian nightmare”.

“After more than 1,100 Israelis killed in the Hamas terror attacks of 7 October … after more than 34,000 Palestinians killed in Gaza, haven’t we seen enough? Haven’t civilians suffered enough death and destruction? Make no mistake – a full-scale assault on Rafah would be a humanitarian catastrophe,” Guterres said.

He also demanded that Israel reopen the land crossings it closed so desperately needed aid supplies can get into Gaza, where famine has already taken hold in the territory’s north.

“The closure of both the Rafah and Kerem Shalom [Karem Abu Salem] crossings is especially damaging to an already dire humanitarian situation. They must be reopened immediately.”

Cobretti2 said:

Gaza is genocide, I was more referring that there are also other genocides happening and no one cares and is protesting against those ones like they are with Gaza.

Hypocrisy is my whole point, we are one race and to me they are all equally as bad irrespective of who is backing who in committing the act. The only way people will learn to think equally is if they put themselves in say a Judge's shoes. Consistent results must be the outcome of the same conditions. For example, a drunk driver runs a red light and kill someone, the Judge doesn't know them, he sentences them to 10 years jail. In another scenario the Judge's mother is the drunk driver, so if he sentenced one to 10 years (a stranger), to be consistent, he should also sentence his own mother to 10 years jail. Cannot have bias. I have asked a similar question of many people, your mother gets run over an you are the passenger in the same car, what would you do. A lot of people say they would beat the shit or kill the driver. hen I say ok it was your bother who did it, what would you do, their actions suddenly change.

Back on topic, World War 2 wasn't so long ago, there be people who still be alive and also first generation children of those who were in WW2. For most part, a lot of people suffered, but the Jews had it the worst. This is the stories people know and have lived. Their views are vastly different to those who are 2 to 3 generations since as those stories are no longer passed on in great detail or the impact that was felt is not the same as for most part these generations have not experienced war or the famine/rebuild that followed.

So when those people see such protests but not for the others, the optics appear to be anti-Semitic even though younger generations know they are not.

My grandparents hated Germans till the day they died as they experience WW2, my dad hates them because of stories his parents use too tell him right after the war when he was born. He also hates Russians because of the communist bullshit that he grew up under. I experienced that first hand and have similar feels towards Russia, my younger brother never did so he is different lol. My grandparents tired to make me hate Germans but in reality I could not relate to it as I did not experience it first hand. However for most part of my life I have lived in Australia and we are so far away from all the chaos the mentality here is so vastly different. Our biggest issues are kids parents complaining that private school have outdate hair cut policies. 

So what I am saying is that having grown up between these two world views, I can see why a lot of older people call it anti-Semitic but younger people don't. 

Well said.

I grew up with 'hatred' of Germans as well, especially while living next to Germany. I have family on both sides of conflicts though. My grandfather worked in Indonesia on the railroad during the (often brutal) occupation of Indonesia by The Netherlands, for example Rawagede massacre in 1947. He left Indonesia in 1954 with my Indonesian grandmother and my mother (born in Bandung). While on my father's side my roots are mostly in Germany. My grandfather on my father's side was taken by the Germans and held in a labor camp during WW2.

I learned early not to live by the past while remembering the past not to make the same mistakes.

It's not true no one cares about the other genocides. The truth is most people don't even know about the other genocides.

You can say the same about the past bombing campaigns of Gaza for example in 2014 for which the ICC is now about to issue arrest warrants or the violent put down of the border protests in 2018-2019 https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/campaigns/2018/10/gaza-great-march-of-return/ Or the 75 years of occupation, apartheid and systematic displacement and ethnic cleansing.

All this has been carefully manipulated (or rather simply ignored) in the media to keep the narrative intact. Yet this time Israel has gone too far and the narrative is breaking down. People are now starting to find out the truth about what's been happening in Israel for the past 76 years. That's where this reaction is coming from. People feel betrayed by their media and governments.

And that, together with the intensity and rapid pace of events fuels the protests. You can still carry out genocide in this day and age as long as you do it slowly out of sight. You can't do it in full view while backing it at every twist and turn.

Also people are selfish by nature. They don't want refugees, spend money on aid or send soldiers to stop genocide. But in this case, people don't want their money spend on killing people. The main message of these protests is still, Divest from Israel. Not even to send peace keeping forces. Nor are they raising money for aid. But they don't want their money spend on war crimes. Why is my tuition used to support killing children... That's how people that are more involved with these genocides managed to mobilize student protests. And from there discover the truth about what has been happening since 1947.

PM Netanyahu: Attacking Rafah necessary to return captives

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says the capture of the Rafah crossing is an “important step” towards “dismantling Hamas”. Netanyahu added military pressure on Hamas is a necessary condition for “the return of our captives”.

The proposal Hamas agreed to on a ceasefire “falls far short of Israel’s essential demands”, the beleaguered Israeli leader said.

UN chief tells the international community to act to halt Gaza ‘tragedy’

In his speech, Guterres urges Israel’s allies to press its leadership to stop the war on Gaza.

“I appeal to all those with influence over Israel to do everything in their power to help avert even more tragedy. The international community has a shared responsibility to promote a humanitarian ceasefire, the unconditional release of all hostages and a massive surge in life-saving aid,” he said.

“It is time for the parties to seize the opportunity and secure a deal for the sake of their own people.”

‘Hold him accountable for genocide’: Tlaib urges ICC arrest warrant for Netanyahu

Rashida Tlaib, the only Palestinian-American lawmaker in the US Congress, has called on the International Criminal Court (ICC) to issue arrest warrants for the Israeli prime minister and other senior Israeli officials over the country’s military conduct in Gaza.

The Democrat called on the ICC to “finally hold them accountable for this genocide, as is obviously warranted by these well-documented violations of the Genocide Convention under international law”.

In a statement posted on X, Tlaib, who serves as a representative for Michigan, said: “There is nowhere safe in Gaza. Nearly 80 percent of the civilian infrastructure has been destroyed. There is no feasible evacuation plan, and the Israeli government is only trying to provide a false pretense of safety to try to maintain legal cover at the International Court of Justice. Netanyahu knows that he will only stay in power as long as the fighting continues.”

She added: “Many of my colleagues are going to express concern and horror at the crimes against humanity that are about to unfold, even though they just voted to send Netanyahu billions more in weapons.

“Do not be misled, they gave their consent for these atrocities, and our country is actively participating in genocide. For months, Netanyahu made his intent to invade Rafah clear, yet the majority of my colleagues and President Biden sent more weapons to enable the massacre,” Tlaib wrote.

US senators call on Biden administration to apply Leahy Law to Israel

Nine US senators have called on the Biden administration to consistently apply the Leahy Law to Israel as it does for other recipients of US military assistance. The Leahy Law prohibits assistance to foreign military units that commit abuses. (You can find out more about it here.)

“My predecessor Patrick Leahy wrote the law that bans U.S. aid to foreign military units that violate human rights, yet multiple administrations have failed to equally implement the law,” Senator Peter Welch said on X.

“My colleagues and I are calling for the consistent application of the Leahy Law to the [Israeli forces].”