By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz Official Game of the Year 2023 – Preliminary Voting Closed

Machina said:
coolbeans said:

@Machina 

I'd argue Chants of Sennaar is more fitting for the Best Puzzle Game category than Adventure.  It utilize a few secondary gameplay elements, but I'd argue "linguistic puzzler" is the main core.

Moved.

Leynos said:

The Ninja Saviors came out 5 years ago

Oops! Removed.

Thanks.  I feel bad now b/c there's a few others I would critique their position.  I'll just do a checklist here:

-Additions:

-The Finals or THE FINALS (Shooter)

-Forest Grove (Adventure, Narrative)

-Orten Was The Case (Adventure, Narrative)

-Killer Frequency (Narrative, Original Score)  

-James McCaffery/Sam Lake as Alex Casey (Alan Wake II) - Supporting Role

Potential Genre Swaps:

-Viewfinder (From Adventure to Puzzle)

-Killer Frequency (From Puzzle to Adventure) - This one is more of a coin toss though.  It's sorta navigating that line between walking sim, dialogue choices, and puzzles but without any sort of game over screen.  

-Planet of Lana (Puzzle to Platformer)  - Another coin toss b/c it is a puzzle-platformer.  It's basically a 2D/2.5D "cinematic platformer" akin to Playdead's games.  Which line of the divide it crosses for you can be subjective.

-Dead Island 2 (RPG to Action or Action/Adventure) - Again, another coin toss b/c I'm not sure how much role-playing goes into it compared to other examples in the genre.  I figured it was a lot like Dying Light 2 in that respect, which I figured its heavier melee emphasis places it closer to one of those camps.  Maybe.  I don't know.  lol

Around the Network
coolbeans said:
Machina said:

Moved.

Leynos said:

The Ninja Saviors came out 5 years ago

Oops! Removed.

Thanks.  I feel bad now b/c there's a few others I would critique their position.  I'll just do a checklist here:

-Additions:

-The Finals or THE FINALS (Shooter)

-Forest Grove (Adventure, Narrative)

-Orten Was The Case (Adventure, Narrative)

-Killer Frequency (Narrative, Original Score)  

-James McCaffery/Sam Lake as Alex Casey (Alan Wake II) - Supporting Role

Potential Genre Swaps:

-Viewfinder (From Adventure to Puzzle)

-Killer Frequency (From Puzzle to Adventure) - This one is more of a coin toss though.  It's sorta navigating that line between walking sim, dialogue choices, and puzzles but without any sort of game over screen.  

-Planet of Lana (Puzzle to Platformer)  - Another coin toss b/c it is a puzzle-platformer.  It's basically a 2D/2.5D "cinematic platformer" akin to Playdead's games.  Which line of the divide it crosses for you can be subjective.

-Dead Island 2 (RPG to Action or Action/Adventure) - Again, another coin toss b/c I'm not sure how much role-playing goes into it compared to other examples in the genre.  I figured it was a lot like Dying Light 2 in that respect, which I figured its heavier melee emphasis places it closer to one of those camps.  Maybe.  I don't know.  lol

Added the new ones. 

Moved Viewfinder & Killer Frequency.

Planet of Lana is more puzzle than platformer imo; the platforming is generic and on-rails-y.

Dead Island is self-described as an action RPG, and it's hard to pin down, so I'll leave that one.

Done!

In my very humble opinion, BG3 should have been listed under biggest surprise of 2023 - I suggest that the community at large didn't expect for it to be one of the greatest games ever made.

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

Curious as to why starfield isn't in "most disappointing " category. Consideing the mega hype for the game and all the internet negative reaction that followed and continues daily.

Iveyboi said:

Done!

In my very humble opinion, BG3 should have been listed under biggest surprise of 2023 - I suggest that the community at large didn't expect for it to be one of the greatest games ever made.

Added, thought I think it's a bit of a stretch given the series historically is highly acclaimed.

KratosLives said:

Curious as to why starfield isn't in "most disappointing " category. Consideing the mega hype for the game and all the internet negative reaction that followed and continues daily.

Added.

Last edited by Machina - on 18 December 2023

Around the Network

~24 hours to go before this first stage of voting closes!

Last call for votes/edits - I'll close the poll ~1 hour from now.