By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The lack of first party games from sony in 2024

Bandorr said:

Means 0 to me. 100% zero.
The PS5 got an INSANE amount of game this year. Why do I care where they came from?

It got a nice mix of more niche games (Octopath, Atelier, TheaterRhythm) but also the big ones (Alan Wake 2, Baldur's gate) etc. It even got PS5 exclusive games (FF16, Spider-man 2) etc.

Games like Redfall aren't suddenly good because they suddenly are only coming to one platform, and Fate Samurai Remnant isn't bad for being on multiple systems.  If Playstation bought Luminous Productions Forespoken wouldn't have suddenly become a "must have game" just because it switched to first party.

A relationship with other companies is important. If you are Nintendo during the 64 age and you mess up that bad - you have to go hard on exclusives.  But if you can navigate those pitfalls and constantly get games from other companies you don't have to worry about your own supply of games so you can spend more time on the quality of them.

Agreed.  FF16, RE4, Dead Space, AW2, SF6..  the ps5 isn't hurting for games. 

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
VAMatt said:

I find this irrelevant, except as a discussion point in video game forums and the like. A PlayStation 5 owner had tons of great games to play this year. What difference does it make weather the games were published by Sony or are exclusive to PlayStation? What matters is do you have games to play. And the answer to that, especially in 2023, is yes.

2023 was a very good year for every console.

2023 was a wonderful year, but some people are worried about 2024. I think having 5 great Playstation published games is great especially because the latter half of 2024 hasn't been fleshed out and announced yet. 2024 will also be a good year.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

It is a little worrisome, but as others said when they release the games are great so I'm not that much concerned. And no point in removing the collaborations. 2nd party, etc of the equation because the reason Sony is giving so much time for their 1st party to launch their games is because on their schedule/pipeline they are counting those games to keep a continuous delivery.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I don't think the sky is falling yet for their first-party. In 2023 there was a huge game, two VR games, and MLB. There's already multiple titles confirmed for 2024 and several announced titles with no release dates.
Let's see how 2024 pans out and then I'll be really concerned if it's similar to 2023.
Sony sadly doesn't tend to publish mid to smaller games anymore, they're focused largely on live-service multiplayer and cinematic games. Sony knows it's not going to ride or die on a steady stream of first-party titles. They're closing in on 50 million consoles sold even after first-party releases that aren't ports or remasters were light in 2021 and 2023 in particular. 2020 started strong in options at launch, and 2022 was pretty strong with the options of Horizon, GT7, and God of War.

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I feel like sony's first party games have fallen off in both quantity and quality recently. The games they've released aren't bad but they aren't at the same high quality I expect from them.

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:

They're closing in on 50 million consoles sold even after first-party releases that aren't ports or remasters were light in 2021 and 2023 in particular. 2020 started strong in options at launch, and 2022 was pretty strong with the options of Horizon, GT7, and God of War.

So if 2020, and 2022 were heavy first party & 2021 and 2023 were rather light. Then 2024 should be another heavy first party year.

+50M is great for entering its 4th year.

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Ok so this title should be "Why is Sony acting like Microsoft that just releases two titles Halo and Halo"

BiON!@