By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Universal Studios Japan Donkey Kong Country Trailer-Coming Spring 2024

Now I wish even more that there was a Universal Studios park in Canada with it's own Super Nintendo World. :(

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
JWeinCom said:

I think this will also be coming to the Epic Universe park that will be opening in Orlando in 2025 along with the Mario ride. The ride will have a kind of arm attached to it (I imaging somewhat similar to the robotic arms used in Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey) which will allow the carts to "jump" since the tracks below you are essentially for show.

I don't think this will be a super intense coaster, but more of a family friendly one along the lines of the new Hagrid Roller Coaster. Which is fine, cause that ride is pretty awesome. As a big fan of theme parks and Nintendo, I'm obviously very excited. As an added bonus, it will hopefully pressure Disney to create some neat rides in Florida to compete. The cutting edge Harry Potter rides seemed to force/inspire Disney to make Flight of Passage and Rise of the Resistance which are arguably the two best rides at Disney. Hopefully, they'll make something cool to try to steal the spotlight away from Universal.

Just wanted to say I love your taste in rides! Disney has definitely upped its game in the past six years. Flight of Passage and Rise of the Resistance are stellar. In fact, I’d argue Rise of the Resistance is the best ride/attraction/experience in central Florida. It continues to blow me away.

As a fellow lover of Nintendo and Universal, I can’t wait to see what Epic Universe has to offer :)

Well, to be fair, these are generally regarded as the best rides, so I'm not exactly going against the grain. Personally my favorite ride is still the Amazing Adventures of Spider-man, but I'm a huge Spidey fan, so it's hard to be objective. In terms of Rise of the Resistance, it's hard to compare it to other rides, because, when exactly does the ride start? If you count from when you enter the ride vehicle, I think Flight of Passage is better, and maybe a couple of others, but the way they start the experience while you're still in the (very long) adds a lot to the experience. I definitely think this was a response to Universal. It's similar to what they do in Escape from Gringotts, but they definitely one upped them in that regard. 

CaptainExplosion said:
JWeinCom said:

That would be cool but the Mario Kart ride doesn't actually go very fast from my understanding. Don't think AR would work if it's a legitimately fast roller coaster. 

Then maybe use AR for the scary Metroid maze I mentioned earlier for the monster effects, assuming they don't go with animatronics. Although, animatronic Ridley might be even scarier because then he'd look more alive. Think back to the T-Rex in parts of Jurassic Park, the puppet still looks better than a lot of CGI creatures in today's movies.

I hate to be a wet blanket, but I can't see a maze attraction at Universal. It would undoubtedly be awesome, but the park just has too many people and a maze would just have limited capacity. That being said, the whole Nintendo area has a lot of little interactive games throughout, so maybe they'll have a mini little metroid hunt. They could also have something similar to Men in Black Alien attack, which would be awesome. 

I don't know how much they'll expand this. As much as I'd love to see every franchise represented, even Harry Potter and Star Wars only have 2-3 rides each in their respective parks. I think the next we'll be likely to see is probably a Legend of Zelda area in Universal Islands of Adventure. When Islands of Adventure opened, it had an area called The Lost Continent, which was based on Greek Mythology featuring a two tracked roller coaster, The Dueling Dragons, and a walk through attraction called Poseidon's Adventure.

The land was probably the least popular of the "Islands" in Islands of Adventure, but it actually helped Universal in the long run. Disney and Universal both wanted the rights to Harry Potter for their theme park. Universal figured that instead of building a whole new area, they could probably repurpose the Lost Continent. Because of this, they were able to save a lot of money on construction, and make a better offer than Disney could. So, they rethemed the Dueling Dragons roller coaster to a Harry Potter theme (later it would be torn down for Hagrid's Motorbike) and then they expanded the area around there to add Hogwarts castle, and rethemed part of the area to be Hogsmeade Village.

But what does this have to do with Zelda? Well, the Lost Continent still survived the Harry Potter secession. It lost its main ride, and kind of served no purpose, but it still had the Poseidon Adventure and a stunt show. Neither of those were great, but, you know, you need something to do when the big rides are full, and the Poseidon's thingy had a really need water tunnel at least. But, since then both of those attractions are gone. The Lost Continent now just has a restaurant and a few food stands/souvineer shops. It kind of lacks any real reason to exist.

What can it be replaced with? Well, the land's style could easily be used as a template for Zelda, the same way the other half was modified for Harry Potter. That is indeed a rumor of what Universal intends to do with the space. Obviously nobody knows for sure, but it seems to be a reasonable guess of how they can use that space without completely tearing it down to start anew.

Aside from that, I would think Pokemon is most likely for the next expansion. A Pokemon Snap ride with a functional camera would be absolutely amazing. I think a Kirby expansion is also sort of likely. Universal generally likes to have at least a few kid friendly attractions. Universal Japan has a Yoshi ride that sort of serves that purpose, but I think Kirby would do that better, and would also probably be a big merch mover because Kirby is adorable.

JWeinCom said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Just wanted to say I love your taste in rides! Disney has definitely upped its game in the past six years. Flight of Passage and Rise of the Resistance are stellar. In fact, I’d argue Rise of the Resistance is the best ride/attraction/experience in central Florida. It continues to blow me away.

As a fellow lover of Nintendo and Universal, I can’t wait to see what Epic Universe has to offer :)

Well, to be fair, these are generally regarded as the best rides, so I'm not exactly going against the grain. Personally my favorite ride is still the Amazing Adventures of Spider-man, but I'm a huge Spidey fan, so it's hard to be objective. In terms of Rise of the Resistance, it's hard to compare it to other rides, because, when exactly does the ride start? If you count from when you enter the ride vehicle, I think Flight of Passage is better, and maybe a couple of others, but the way they start the experience while you're still in the (very long) adds a lot to the experience. I definitely think this was a response to Universal. It's similar to what they do in Escape from Gringotts, but they definitely one upped them in that regard. 

CaptainExplosion said:

Then maybe use AR for the scary Metroid maze I mentioned earlier for the monster effects, assuming they don't go with animatronics. Although, animatronic Ridley might be even scarier because then he'd look more alive. Think back to the T-Rex in parts of Jurassic Park, the puppet still looks better than a lot of CGI creatures in today's movies.

[snip]

Spider-Man was my favorite for years. And I still think it’s the best ride at Universal. That combination of on-rails ride with motion simulation and 3D was just masterful at launch. Plus the “training” videos are a riot :D

JWeinCom said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

CaptainExplosion said:

I hate to be a wet blanket, but I can't see a maze attraction at Universal. It would undoubtedly be awesome, but the park just has too many people and a maze would just have limited capacity. That being said, the whole Nintendo area has a lot of little interactive games throughout, so maybe they'll have a mini little metroid hunt. They could also have something similar to Men in Black Alien attack, which would be awesome. 

I don't know how much they'll expand this. As much as I'd love to see every franchise represented, even Harry Potter and Star Wars only have 2-3 rides each in their respective parks. I think the next we'll be likely to see is probably a Legend of Zelda area in Universal Islands of Adventure. When Islands of Adventure opened, it had an area called The Lost Continent, which was based on Greek Mythology featuring a two tracked roller coaster, The Dueling Dragons, and a walk through attraction called Poseidon's Adventure.

The land was probably the least popular of the "Islands" in Islands of Adventure, but it actually helped Universal in the long run. Disney and Universal both wanted the rights to Harry Potter for their theme park. Universal figured that instead of building a whole new area, they could probably repurpose the Lost Continent. Because of this, they were able to save a lot of money on construction, and make a better offer than Disney could. So, they rethemed the Dueling Dragons roller coaster to a Harry Potter theme (later it would be torn down for Hagrid's Motorbike) and then they expanded the area around there to add Hogwarts castle, and rethemed part of the area to be Hogsmeade Village.

But what does this have to do with Zelda? Well, the Lost Continent still survived the Harry Potter secession. It lost its main ride, and kind of served no purpose, but it still had the Poseidon Adventure and a stunt show. Neither of those were great, but, you know, you need something to do when the big rides are full, and the Poseidon's thingy had a really need water tunnel at least. But, since then both of those attractions are gone. The Lost Continent now just has a restaurant and a few food stands/souvineer shops. It kind of lacks any real reason to exist.

What can it be replaced with? Well, the land's style could easily be used as a template for Zelda, the same way the other half was modified for Harry Potter. That is indeed a rumor of what Universal intends to do with the space. Obviously nobody knows for sure, but it seems to be a reasonable guess of how they can use that space without completely tearing it down to start anew.

Aside from that, I would think Pokemon is most likely for the next expansion. A Pokemon Snap ride with a functional camera would be absolutely amazing. I think a Kirby expansion is also sort of likely. Universal generally likes to have at least a few kid friendly attractions. Universal Japan has a Yoshi ride that sort of serves that purpose, but I think Kirby would do that better, and would also probably be a big merch mover because Kirby is adorable.

Now I wanna see a Zelda stunt show at Universal Studios. Imagine the kinds of practical effects they could do related to Zelda, like a live Hookshot, or blowing up a Dodongo!! ^^

Veknoid_Outcast said:
JWeinCom said:

CaptainExplosion said:

[snip]

Spider-Man was my favorite for years. And I still think it’s the best ride at Universal. That combination of on-rails ride with motion simulation and 3D was just masterful at launch. Plus the “training” videos are a riot :D

I still think it's the best, but I'm highly biased. I think the comic book nature really helps make it easy to follow what's going on moreso than Rise of the Resistance or Harry Potter. That guy is made of water, he's going to wet us. The story has a logical flow to it as you take the villains one by one. And I think it's better at making you feel like you're part of the scene moreso than other comparable rides... especially since the Kylo Ren Animatronic doesn't work half the time.

CaptainExplosion said:
JWeinCom said:

CaptainExplosion said:

Now I wanna see a Zelda stunt show at Universal Studios. Imagine the kinds of practical effects they could do related to Zelda, like a live Hookshot, or blowing up a Dodongo!! ^^

That would be kind of cool. 

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I still think it's the best, but I'm highly biased. I think the comic book nature really helps make it easy to follow what's going on moreso than Rise of the Resistance or Harry Potter. That guy is made of water, he's going to wet us. The story has a logical flow to it as you take the villains one by one. And I think it's better at making you feel like you're part of the scene moreso than other comparable rides... especially since the Kylo Ren Animatronic doesn't work half the time.

CaptainExplosion said:

That would be kind of cool. 

And, even though there would likely be kids in the audience, do slight fantasy gore effects with certain monsters, like they did with Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. I figured it's ok as long as the blood isn't red.

Yet another reason i need to go to japan

BiON!@ 

I'll be checking this out once the new Universal theme park opens in Florida as it will have the Nintendo-themed land.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

When will Donkey Kong Country in Universal Studios Hollywood Open?

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Shtinamin_ said:

When will Donkey Kong Country in Universal Studios Hollywood Open?

I wish I knew, or better yet if a Universal Studios park will open in Canada with all the Nintendo attractions from the Japanese park!! ^^

Also, an idea I just thought of for a Metroid attraction in Universal Studios; an escape room where, if you fail to solve the puzzles in time, a massive animatronic Metroid pops out to attack you.