By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga Trailer

HoloDust said:
pikashoe said:

Opinions are subjective, but the highlighted part is pretty much objectively incorrect. Pretty much nothing about fury road could be called bland in any way, the film can't really be called disjointed, it's probably the best edited film in the series. It has some similarities with Road warrior but is a very different beast at the end of the day. I understand preferring Road warrior  and the style of fury road is not for everyone but don't just make up criticisms for the film to justify not liking it. It's ok to not like something and still appreciate that it's well made.

Oxymoron much?

Subjectively you dislike the movie, objectively the film is not bland or disjointed. Whether you like the style or not is subjective. 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Going to the movies is still very much a thing, you only need to look as far as hits like Dune Part II, Godzilla x Kong The New Empire, (and to a lesser extent Godzilla Minus One) the Mario movie, Barbie, and Oppenheimer.

The problem is that most Hollywood movies these days are such godawful trash that they've torched whatever goodwill they once had and people are much less willing to give the benefit of the doubt to anything that looks vaguely suspect.

The problem is it costs $18-$20 a ticket for a movie that will probably be on streaming in 6-9 weeks, and there was a lengthy strike pushing back a bunch of movies just as box office was just finding its footing again with Barbie + Oppenheimer. 

I don't think movies are actually that much worse, there's a lot of shit released in the 90s and 2000s and 2010s, there were plenty of shitty blockbusters and movies in general back then too. 

If back in the day movies released on DVD or VHS just a few weeks after their theaterical release, you can't tell me that wouldn't impact the box office of movies like Titanic, Jurassic Park, The Dark Knight, etc. etc. etc. 

Fury Road is leaps and bounds over the original trilogy, of which only the second movie is any good. Furiosa is around Road Warrior in quality.

Soundwave said:
curl-6 said:

Going to the movies is still very much a thing, you only need to look as far as hits like Dune Part II, Godzilla x Kong The New Empire, (and to a lesser extent Godzilla Minus One) the Mario movie, Barbie, and Oppenheimer.

The problem is that most Hollywood movies these days are such godawful trash that they've torched whatever goodwill they once had and people are much less willing to give the benefit of the doubt to anything that looks vaguely suspect.

The problem is it costs $18-$20 a ticket for a movie that will probably be on streaming in 6-9 weeks, and there was a lengthy strike pushing back a bunch of movies just as box office was just finding its footing again with Barbie + Oppenheimer. 

I don't think movies are actually that much worse, there's a lot of shit released in the 90s and 2000s and 2010s, there were plenty of shitty blockbusters and movies in general back then too. 

If back in the day movies released on DVD or VHS just a few weeks after their theaterical release, you can't tell me that wouldn't impact the box office of movies like Titanic, Jurassic Park, The Dark Knight, etc. etc. etc. 

Streaming absolutely cuts into many movies at the box office, but I feel like quality is also a factor; with budgets having grown so big there's so little risk or creativity in Hollywood these days, as it's hard to justify taking risks with that amount of money. 

Female-led spinoffs are also something a lot of folks have tired of, as such films often tend to push preachy messaging.

pikashoe said:
HoloDust said:

Oxymoron much?

Subjectively you dislike the movie, objectively the film is not bland or disjointed. Whether you like the style or not is subjective. 

Yeah, here's the thing...I could write an essay about why I think the movie is both bland and disjointed, given that I actually studied film and been working in film industry for 25 years, but I have better things to do with my time than to get into a pissing contest with someone on the net - so I'll have my subjective opinion (as all opinions are), and you carry on with you "objective" worldview.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
pikashoe said:

Yeah, here's the thing...I could write an essay about why I think the movie is both bland and disjointed, given that I actually studied film and been working in film industry for 25 years, but I have better things to do with my time than to get into a pissing contest with someone on the net - so I'll have my subjective opinion (as all opinions are), and you carry on with you "objective" worldview.

Oh wow, I also studied film, honestly kind of immature to try and bring that up as some kind of way dismiss me, you're in your 40s and you're trying to win argument by just saying you have a film degree, grow up. Come on give a few reasons why it's bland and disjointed. This is a discussion forum if you're going to say a controversial statement you should actually try to back it up. I am genuinely interested how you weren't able to follow what was going on and how it's bland. 

Again you can not like something and appreciate that it is still well made. For example I didn't like Sicario, but I still think it's an incredibly well made film, just not something I connected with. I'm not saying my worldview is objective but there are subjective and objective aspects to everything. 

I'm not that fond of Fury Road, for me the real/good Mad Max are 2&3.
I was bit disappointed on the first, but that can be forgiven for budget and perhaps inexperience.

The Furiosa trailer looks badly like it has nothing new to offer, at least Fury Road had some cool new elements.
Still, I'm slightly optimistic that Furiosa might be as good as Fury Road. Maybe it'll even be fourth best Mad Max.

curl-6 said:

Yup, I'd have to agree.

There are many factors at play and the Hollywood methodology is just broken at the moment.

Here's hoping for better days.

pikashoe said:
HoloDust said:

Oh wow, I also studied film, honestly kind of immature to try and bring that up as some kind of way dismiss me, you're in your 40s and you're trying to win argument by just saying you have a film degree, grow up. Come on give a few reasons why it's bland and disjointed. This is a discussion forum if you're going to say a controversial statement you should actually try to back it up. I am genuinely interested how you weren't able to follow what was going on and how it's bland. 

Again you can not like something and appreciate that it is still well made. For example I didn't like Sicario, but I still think it's an incredibly well made film, just not something I connected with. I'm not saying my worldview is objective but there are subjective and objective aspects to everything. 

I'm in my 50s, so wining an argument over some film on the net is fairly at the bottom of my priorities. I don't know where you studied film, but you should have written bazillion of essays on films while you were studying, so really surprised that you insist of "objectivity" in art.

Bur, as I said, carry on, nothing to see here.

curl-6 said:
Soundwave said:

Streaming absolutely cuts into many movies at the box office, but I feel like quality is also a factor; with budgets having grown so big there's so little risk or creativity in Hollywood these days, as it's hard to justify taking risks with that amount of money. 

Female-led spinoffs are also something a lot of folks have tired of, as such films often tend to push preachy messaging.

I think people don't understand that it's pretty damn hard to make a great movie. A lot of things have to go right and even greater writers, directors have many misses. 

Hollywood would make more experimental and riskier films ... if people bothered to show up. There's lots of examples too of movies that are actually decent to great where people just didn't show up. If a studio released a movie equally as good as Kramer Vs. Kramer or Annie Hall or Dances with Wolves or Rain Man or Forrest Gump or the first Rocky today or even E.T. (ie: hit films that didn't rely on being based on a comic book or special effects), would it be a lock that people show up and support it? 

I think it's a lot harder I think to make a great movie than a great video game (you can basically just iterate on a proven formula in gaming and it mostly will work) or even music album. 

The amount of great movies even in the 80s, 90s, 2000s, etc. is not as high as people think it is, it's not like every 3rd movie released back then was fantastic. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 04 June 2024