By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - RAM question

Chrkeller said:

Is it normal for a gpu fan to not always spin? They spin when the computer boots up but turn off. I haven't really played games on it yet. Just Halo CE for a few minutes.

I'm definitely not much of an expert on this, but I think I've been wondering the same, since I don't think mine spins all the time. If that's still the case after like two months of building the case, and I don't have any to suspect that's not the case anymore, it's probably fine. It shouldn't be doing much work in desktop use anyway, so not much to cool, I guess. If the temperatures stay OK, I guess there should be nothing to worry about?

Around the Network

Most GPU's these days have passive modes. They will not spin up until a temperature threshold is reached.

Random_Matt said:

Most GPU's these days have passive modes. They will not spin up until a temperature threshold is reached.

Plus, outside of gaming the iGPU/APU can do the work if configured and connected as such while the GPU would then be hanging back and relaxing. Standard on laptops these days, but on Desktop it's a bit finicky to set up.

Chrkeller said:

Is it normal for a gpu fan to not always spin? They spin when the computer boots up but turn off. I haven't really played games on it yet. Just Halo CE for a few minutes.

Many GPU's can operate in a "passive" mode where the fan only kicks in once you hit a temperature threshold.

Same with many Power Supply Units these days... In-fact, I have my CPU cooler and case fans doing the same.|

Truly silent system when needed, but can kick it up a notch when gaming.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Chrkeller said:

I'll play with the cooler.  Not sure it fits the other way.  I'll give it a try.

Edit

Yep this is the way..... the way it was mounted before, with the intake right above the GPU, and barely any room to draw in air with.... was not optimal.
This should run much better (imo).

Plus this orientation you can actually clean it, with like a bottle of compressed air... when needed.

Pemalite said:
Chrkeller said:

Many GPU's can operate in a "passive" mode where the fan only kicks in once you hit a temperature threshold.

Same with many Power Supply Units these days... In-fact, I have my CPU cooler and case fans doing the same.|

Truly silent system when needed, but can kick it up a notch when gaming.

Yep when in idle or just light browseing on the net, is often when you want quiet, where the passive cooling is neat.
When gameing ect, theres sound that'll block out slight noise of fans (as long as you dont have super loud fans).

Makes for a better overall pc experiance, if your not dealing with a noise from fans (like its a small thing, that will drive you nuts over time).
Fan quality, and cooling, is not where one should try to save a few bucks when building a pc (imo).

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 19 November 2023

Around the Network

Thanks everyone for all the help over the last couple months, I truly appreciate all the support. I'm very pleased with my first gaming PC build. Everyone here made it easier by sharing their knowledge and helped my confidence.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Not sure if mentioned (this goes for everyone), but be careful with 4 sticks (DDR5) as well. They'll work, but they will likely default to lower speeds until better boards (or BIOS updates) are released.

Well I do not play that many games anymore because I use sam. But ram does help when you have many website tabs open.

BiON!@