By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 46.6 Million Units as of September 2023

DonFerrari said:
kazuyamishima said:

Europe is the Key.

The standalone disc console is €430 in Spain and Italy, and all bundles (MW3, Final Fantasy XVI, God of War Ragnarok, Spiderman 2, and EA Sports FC 24) are €499 at least in Spain.

I think the other main European markets (UK, France and Germany will follow).

I saw in some markets it would be 120 less than MSRP, is the regular price in those countries 550?

Yes, standalone MSRP is 550 euros and Bundles 620.

The bundles are also discounted in Italy as well.

Around the Network
Kyuu said:
kazuyamishima said:

I mean, the last first party game released from SIE was GOW:R in November 2022. 

jvmkdg said:

there were no first party game launches this quarter the last launch was god of war ragnarok and yet there were more than 4 million first party games in the next quarter this number will be close to 15 million

Yeah, poor first party production is part of it, but even last year with 4 major releases (2 of which actually released at the end FY2021, but had the bulk of their sales in FY 2022) still declined over the prior year This FY could be their weakest since like 2017, and the next year will probably be notably weaker without a Spider-Man 2 equivalent.

Ragnarok and Horizon's legs are disappointing. Only GT7 is hinting strong legs relative to expectations and based on charts. I think the evidence is clear that high prices and PC ports are hurting legs.

Literally no evidence for disappointing legs whatsoever, baseless assumptions are useless. Especially in regards to Ragnarök where we know it performed very well. Sony never gave us any sale figures for Horizon: FW or GT7 so we don't know how they're faring, Ragnarök for all we know has done the heavy lifting for Sony's 1st party sales up until Spider-Man 2 launched.

The simple answer is as already stated, no new 1st party releases since November 2022 so what did you reasonably expect? Sony's had a long dry spell, next quarter is obviously going to be a significant increase thanks to Spider-Man 2 but if Sony's poor production schedule leaves another long dry spell until the next big game you can expect to see following quarters with similar or worse results.

kazuyamishima said:
DonFerrari said:

I saw in some markets it would be 120 less than MSRP, is the regular price in those countries 550?

Yes, standalone MSRP is 550 euros and Bundles 620.

The bundles are also discounted in Italy as well.

I guess Europe sales on Holiday will be massive.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

JustThatGamer said:
Kyuu said:

jvmkdg said:

there were no first party game launches this quarter the last launch was god of war ragnarok and yet there were more than 4 million first party games in the next quarter this number will be close to 15 million

Yeah, poor first party production is part of it, but even last year with 4 major releases (2 of which actually released at the end FY2021, but had the bulk of their sales in FY 2022) still declined over the prior year This FY could be their weakest since like 2017, and the next year will probably be notably weaker without a Spider-Man 2 equivalent.

Ragnarok and Horizon's legs are disappointing. Only GT7 is hinting strong legs relative to expectations and based on charts. I think the evidence is clear that high prices and PC ports are hurting legs.

Literally no evidence for disappointing legs whatsoever, baseless assumptions are useless. Especially in regards to Ragnarök where we know it performed very well. Sony never gave us any sale figures for Horizon: FW or GT7 so we don't know how they're faring, Ragnarök for all we know has done the heavy lifting for Sony's 1st party sales up until Spider-Man 2 launched.

The simple answer is as already stated, no new 1st party releases since November 2022 so what did you reasonably expect? Sony's had a long dry spell, next quarter is obviously going to be a significant increase thanks to Spider-Man 2 but if Sony's poor production schedule leaves another long dry spell until the next big game you can expect to see following quarters with similar or worse results.

Sony gave update of some titles on the latest quarter, seems like GoW:R already crossed 11M long time by now.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

GoW:R sales were huge.

5.1 million in its first week since launch, growing up to 11 million within 10 weeks - so as of Jan. 18th, 2023.

I cautiously estimate the sales likely to be sitting at 15 million by now. One could have a good argument that it's even underestimated. And then there is still a PC release very likely to happen.

I actually wouldn't be suprised if even Spiderman 2 sales have a hard time beating GoW:R sales when being aligned - then again you'd have to consider Spiderman 2 is on PS5 only.

As for the PS5 in general:

I can't wait for the upcoming estimates for October, November and December.

I believe it to be very likely Sony will be able to report new record numbers for their fiscal Q3 once the year is over.

Although I right now perceive Sony to not be acting up to their full potential and risking to market the Playstation brand the slightly the wrong way (PS Plus price hike, Playstation Portal not supporting cloud streaming, Playstation Studios feel like being distracted), I still think you'd have to give it to them for their on-going effort.

We've seen the PS5 being revised regularly, PSVR2 + VR updated games, good system software updates, First Party games, the new Inzone brand flanking the PS5 - Sony has done pretty much within the first three years.

Sorry for the poke, but especially compared to the Xbox Series brand. Which does matter.

Around the Network
Panicradio said:

GoW:R sales were huge.

5.1 million in its first week since launch, growing up to 11 million within 10 weeks - so as of Jan. 18th, 2023.

I cautiously estimate the sales likely to be sitting at 15 million by now. One could have a good argument that it's even underestimated. And then there is still a PC release very likely to happen.

I actually wouldn't be suprised if even Spiderman 2 sales have a hard time beating GoW:R sales when being aligned - then again you'd have to consider Spiderman 2 is on PS5 only.

As for the PS5 in general:

I can't wait for the upcoming estimates for October, November and December.

I believe it to be very likely Sony will be able to report new record numbers for their fiscal Q3 once the year is over.

Although I right now perceive Sony to not be acting up to their full potential and risking to market the Playstation brand the slightly the wrong way (PS Plus price hike, Playstation Portal not supporting cloud streaming, Playstation Studios feel like being distracted), I still think you'd have to give it to them for their on-going effort.

We've seen the PS5 being revised regularly, PSVR2 + VR updated games, good system software updates, First Party games, the new Inzone brand flanking the PS5 - Sony has done pretty much within the first three years.

Sorry for the poke, but especially compared to the Xbox Series brand. Which does matter.

Circana (former NPD) gave us good info on October release. Life to Date we have PS5 9% above PS4 and Series 11% below X1 when aligned for NA.

And considering this will be the first year PS5 will have full inventory and also big discounts for Holidays I'm sure that at least best quarter for PS5 is ensured and also very possible best quarter for playstation ever (if they want to achieve 25M shipped on the FY).

DonFerrari said:

Circana (former NPD) gave us good info on October release. Life to Date we have PS5 9% above PS4 and Series 11% below X1 when aligned for NA.

And considering this will be the first year PS5 will have full inventory and also big discounts for Holidays I'm sure that at least best quarter for PS5 is ensured and also very possible best quarter for playstation ever (if they want to achieve 25M shipped on the FY).

Yup, looks like the arrival of the slimmer PS5 model is indeed bumping sales, and why October sales fell a bit behind.

"Famitsu has published its estimated physical game software and hardware sales data for Japan for the week of November 6, 2023 to November 12, 2023."

"On the hardware side, the PlayStation 5 family sold 107,953 units."

107k units in one week in Japan is huge.

Panicradio said:

DonFerrari said:

Yup, looks like the arrival of the slimmer PS5 model is indeed bumping sales, and why October sales fell a bit behind.

"Famitsu has published its estimated physical game software and hardware sales data for Japan for the week of November 6, 2023 to November 12, 2023."

"On the hardware side, the PlayStation 5 family sold 107,953 units."

107k units in one week in Japan is huge.

2nd biggest week in Japan for PS5, and maybe during Holidays it can become even bigger.

I'm betting this BF will be the highest PS have ever had together with biggest November.