By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: Microsoft to become largest 3rd party publisher.

Imaginedvl said:
only777 said:

are you such a hardcore Xbox fanboy that the events of the last two weeks are not any sort of clear indicator of the failure of Game Pass?

And how do you link those to GamePass?

I'll come back to this thread when Starfield is confirmed for the PS5.

See you in a few months.

Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.

Around the Network
Hardstuck-Platinum said:

Hellblade 2 just launched and it's not even in the steam top 20. It's peak users wasn't even as high as Hellblade 1, and that was in 2017 when Steam was a smaller platform. Ghosts of Tsushima, a nearly 4 year old PS game topped the Steam charts but a new IP can't get top 20? All of this data suggests that it's sales were terrible but people like you keep insisting that gamepass is a sustainable model 

Where are your official numbers showing that GamePass is not sustainable?

Again, just arguing with assumptions out of your ass or tweeter. Microsoft themselves keep saying that it is sustainable (to their shareholders...); end of story. If anything between a publically traded company and console warriors/forum wannabe economic experts/random tweets, I will go with Microsoft numbers/analysis.

Last edited by Imaginedvl - on 23 May 2024

only777 said:
Imaginedvl said:

And how do you link those to GamePass?

I'll come back to this thread when Starfield is confirmed for the PS5.

See you in a few months.

Okay.

OP is confusing “not profitable” with “not profitable enough”.

Obviously the Series X and GamePass have not taken off to the degree MS expected. Now they have spent close to or over a hundred billion on studios and they want to make more revenue, so they are releasing games on other platforms too.

Doesn’t really mean anything with regards to GamePass and its profitability. Also they’re just confirmed all their future first party games including CoD are coming day one to GamePass. That’s the only relevant news from the last couple weeks I know of. Anyone know what OP is referring to?

Imaginedvl said:
Hardstuck-Platinum said:

Hellblade 2 just launched and it's not even in the steam top 20. It's peak users wasn't even as high as Hellblade 1, and that was in 2017 when Steam was a smaller platform. Ghosts of Tsushima, a nearly 4 year old PS game topped the Steam charts but a new IP can't get top 20? All of this data suggests that it's sales were terrible but people like you keep insisting that gamepass is a sustainable model 

Again, just arguing with assumptions out of your ass or tweeter. Microsoft themselves keep saying that it is sustainable (to their shareholders...); end of story. If anything between a publically traded company and console warriors/forum wannabe economic experts/random tweets, I will go with Microsoft numbers/analysis.

The games need to sell though don't they? Gamepass plays alone isn't enough is it? Games on Gamepass don't sell! Hellblade 2 is just more proof. This gamepass defending is only going to backfire in your face when every Xbox game comes to PS5 because sales are most important and you can only get sales on PS5. 

Around the Network
Hardstuck-Platinum said:

The games need to sell though don't they? Gamepass plays alone isn't enough is it? Games on Gamepass don't sell! Hellblade 2 is just more proof. This gamepass defending is only going to backfire in your face when every Xbox game comes to PS5 because sales are most important and you can only get sales on PS5. 

What are you on? Dude, I am not defending anything...

We are talking about numbers here and the OP prediction. I am telling: you are just coming up with stuff out of thin aier (and you are, with just assumptions that GamePass is not viable...) and I prefer to go with official numbers and statements from Microsoft. There is no "defending" here, and nobody is going to get anything in the face. Even if games from Xbox are coming to Play Station Five... This will be a good thing for everyone at the end.

On top of it, as a Microsoft shareholder, I would welcome them publishing those games on the Play Station Five, move money in, stock going up, etc... I think you really do not understand that at the end, even if GamePass is doing well, selling on other platform, will ALWAYS bring more money unless they have a monopoly which is far from being the case in the console area....

You need to get a break from your console war stuff; whatever plastic box you bought is the right one, no worries. I have all of them; and do not need to prove anything. Heck I'm even one of those idiots who preordered the Amico console and bought the Play Starion VR 2...
You keep going in every Xbox article or thread and attacking everyone and calling them Xbox fanboys or defending stuff or even commenting on my avatar that is Xbox related (this is just a forum... with opinions, nobody is getting anything in the face for being proven wrong or right and you are not going to win any medal). 

Calm the fuck down.

Last edited by Imaginedvl - on 23 May 2024

Hardstuck-Platinum said:
Imaginedvl said:

That's just false. Forza Horizon 5 has been a huge seller despite being on Game Pass the whole time. You can argue that it can potentially harm sales but games can still obviously sell well even when on a subscription service from day 1. Same as how the FNAF film was a big success at the box office despite being available to stream at home right away.

Last edited by Norion - on 23 May 2024

only777 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

No numbers of evidence or data then?

Shocked.

There is zero point in repling further to you because you have made yourself look utterly foolish.

If you are posting in VGChartz forums then there is zero chance you have missed the complete melt down within Microsoft in the last two weeks.  I mean do you think that other forum users missed it too and that somewhere people are actually agreeing with you?

Or are you such a hardcore Xbox fanboy that the events of the last two weeks are not any sort of clear indicator of the failure of Game Pass?

The only one looking foolish here is you with this rubbish tread.  Also, here is a newsflash for you Sony and Nintendo would stop making consoles in a heartbeat if they could sell as much software without making them.

only777 said:

I wasn't happy that Pemalite was rather mean to my video post and made some untrue assumptions about my post intentions, so to please him, here's where I was going to take that locked thread, but now in text only form.

Microsoft has ruined Xbox, the business decision to push Game Pass above all else is a disaster that is playing out in front of us all.

Starfield not pushing the needle in hardware sales and Gamepass simply doesn't generate the revenue to fund the running and development costs of the Many, many Microsoft Game studios.  I did layout the maths in the video I created, but I'm not linking it again as I don't want to be branded as self promoting.

We saw in the FTC leak the costs of bringing 3rd party games to the service.  We know that games like COD are costing around a billion dollars to get out the door now.  So with all the costs of development and maintenance outweighing what the service is actually bring in, at some point something has to give.

Xbox sales are slowing down, Game Pass is not bringing in new users to the Xbox Console eco system, Starfield actually saw two thirds of its sales from PC users.  So what's actually happening here?  Xbox players are migrating to either PC or leaving the system altogether and going to PlayStation.

In a world where the primary Game Pass platform is PC, Microsoft has a problem.  PC gaming is too entrenched in Steam for Microsoft to realistically find more than 50 million users, and with Xbox console sales stalling Microsoft has to do something.

That something is to become the biggest 3rd party in the industry.  I think Game Pass will continue on as Microsoft's PC subscription service, although all Microsoft studio's titles will see releases on Steam, PlayStation and Nintendo. 

I also think we are looking at the last Xbox generation in the Series X|S consoles.  With Game Pass failing to push Microsoft out of 3rd place, they will refocus their efforts into becoming the biggest powerhouse 3rd party publisher in the industry because this makes the most business sense.

I believe the timeline will look something like this:

• 2024: Starfield is announced for PlayStation 5
  • 2026: Xbox Game Pass is re-branded to Microsoft Game Pass
  • 2027: Microsoft announce that there will be no new Xbox consoles

Well Indiana Jones is a 1st party game!  But we still have four months for step one of my prediction to happen!

Last edited by only777 - on 21 August 2024

Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.

only777 said:
only777 said:

I wasn't happy that Pemalite was rather mean to my video post and made some untrue assumptions about my post intentions, so to please him, here's where I was going to take that locked thread, but now in text only form.

Microsoft has ruined Xbox, the business decision to push Game Pass above all else is a disaster that is playing out in front of us all.

Starfield not pushing the needle in hardware sales and Gamepass simply doesn't generate the revenue to fund the running and development costs of the Many, many Microsoft Game studios.  I did layout the maths in the video I created, but I'm not linking it again as I don't want to be branded as self promoting.

We saw in the FTC leak the costs of bringing 3rd party games to the service.  We know that games like COD are costing around a billion dollars to get out the door now.  So with all the costs of development and maintenance outweighing what the service is actually bring in, at some point something has to give.

Xbox sales are slowing down, Game Pass is not bringing in new users to the Xbox Console eco system, Starfield actually saw two thirds of its sales from PC users.  So what's actually happening here?  Xbox players are migrating to either PC or leaving the system altogether and going to PlayStation.

In a world where the primary Game Pass platform is PC, Microsoft has a problem.  PC gaming is too entrenched in Steam for Microsoft to realistically find more than 50 million users, and with Xbox console sales stalling Microsoft has to do something.

That something is to become the biggest 3rd party in the industry.  I think Game Pass will continue on as Microsoft's PC subscription service, although all Microsoft studio's titles will see releases on Steam, PlayStation and Nintendo. 

I also think we are looking at the last Xbox generation in the Series X|S consoles.  With Game Pass failing to push Microsoft out of 3rd place, they will refocus their efforts into becoming the biggest powerhouse 3rd party publisher in the industry because this makes the most business sense.

I believe the timeline will look something like this:

• 2024: Starfield is announced for PlayStation 5
  • 2026: Xbox Game Pass is re-branded to Microsoft Game Pass
  • 2027: Microsoft announce that there will be no new Xbox consoles

Well Indiana Jones is a 1st party game!  But we still have four months for step one of my prediction to happen!

Well, the last step isn't happening so this whole thread has been a giant nothing burger.