By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Clash of the October 20th titans: Which will sell more, Mario Wonder or Spiderman 2?

Which will sell more?

Super Mario Bros Wonder 125 84.46%

Spiderman 2 23 15.54%

Total:148
peachbuggy said:

Will be interesting to see which company issues a press release to celebrate 10m sold first. I'm assuming both will announce 10m if/when the landmark is crossed.

I think both already crossed 10M for some time. If I'm not wrong the leak from Insomniac showed they crossing 12M like mid December.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
peachbuggy said:

Will be interesting to see which company issues a press release to celebrate 10m sold first. I'm assuming both will announce 10m if/when the landmark is crossed.

I think both already crossed 10M for some time. If I'm not wrong the leak from Insomniac showed they crossing 12M like mid December.

No I haven't heard anything about that leak. The last for Spider-man 2 was 6 million after 3 weeks.

Japan 2023 - Physical sales

Mario Wonder - 1,549,401

Spider-man 2 - 107,617

Germany 2023(No digital sales for Mario Wonder)

UK GSD 2023 Top 20 (Digital and Physical)
Position Title
1 EA Sports FC 24 (EA)
2 Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
3 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Activision Blizzard)
4 FIFA 23 (EA)
5 Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
6 Spider-Man 2 (Sony)
7 Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (EA)
8 Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
9 The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo)*
10 Diablo 4 (Activision Blizzard)
11 Super Mario Bros Wonder (Nintendo)*
12 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision)
13 Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
14 Assassin's Creed Mirage (Ubisoft)
15 Resident Evil 4 Remake (Capcom)
16 NBA 2K23 (2K Games)
17 LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Warner Bros)
18 WWE 2K23 (2K Games)
19 F1 23 (EA/Codemasters)
20 Grand Theft Auto Online (Rockstar)
*Digital data unavailable and bundled games not included.

German Game Sales Awards for December 2023:

Multi-Platinum >600.000
[NSW] Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Nintendo) {2023.10.20}

Platinum >200.000
[PS5] Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (Insomniac Games / Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2023.10.20}

European GSD 2023 Top 20 (Digital and Physical)

Position Title
1 EA Sports FC 24 (EA)
2 Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
3 FIFA 23 (EA)
4 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Activision Blizzard)
5 Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
6 Diablo 4 (Activision Blizzard)
7 The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo)*
8 Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
9 Super Mario Bros Wonder (Nintendo)*
10 Spider-Man 2 (Sony)
11 Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (EA)
12 Assassin's Creed Mirage (Ubisoft)
13 Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
14 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision)
15 F1 23 (EA/Codemasters)
16 Nintendo Switch Sports* (Nintendo)
17 Resident Evil 4 Remake (Capcom)
18 God of War Ragnarok (Sony)
19 NBA 2K23 (2K Games)
20 It Takes Two (EA)

Last edited by LGBTDBZBBQ - on 16 January 2024

Around the Network

I think the thread is about to burst depending on what we're gonna get from the next Circana(NPD) report. The whole of Europe and Japan seems to have gotten Mario the advantage over the holidays and by quite the mile in some cases.

Spiderman has unaccounted sales from bundles in the meantime, which we don't know what it does account for since it wasn't the only holiday bundle they had in sales.

It's coming to a heating conclusion !

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mario Wonder December's was so big that it in fact went past Spider Man 2 easily with just the physical sales.

#2 Mario Wonder *

#5 Spiderman 2 

The 12 months charts posts Spiderman ahead (taking in consideration this is revenue based, not units based)

Last edited by Mar1217 - on 19 January 2024

Mar1217 said:

Mario Wonder December's was so big that it in fact went past Spider Man 2 easily with just the physical sales.

#2 Mario Wonder *

#5 Spiderman 2 

The 12 months charts posts Spiderman ahead (taking in consideration this is revenue based, not units based)

Also this doesn't count bundles which the spiderman bundle was huge In north America probably easily sold 1 million to 1.5 million In 3 months.

zeldaring said:
Mar1217 said:

#2 Mario Wonder *

#5 Spiderman 2 

Also this doesn't count bundles which the spiderman bundle was huge In north America probably easily sold 1 million to 1.5 million In 3 months.

There were more than one PS5 bundle during this period so I don't know how many of them would allocate itself to Spiderman 2 nor do I think you'd know the numbers.

At the end of it, it's prolly a matter we'll have to follow through the potential milestone announcements from both company with the press or when we get their fiscal quarter results. 

Mario Wonder may end up winning this in the long run, but it definitely underperformed relative to many predictions in here.

A lot of people want to dunk on zeldaring, but his prediction is not as egregious as some predicting Wonder to outsell SpiderMan 2's lifetime in a single quarter lol.