By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Direct set for September 14 at 7:00 a.m. PT / 10:00 a.m. ET

zorg1000 said:
PAOerfulone said:

To add to your point, all of those releases were split up amongst Nintendo's main console and handheld at the time. (Pre-DS: GBA and GCN. Pre-Wii: DS, GCN, and GBA. Pre-3DS: DS and Wii. Pre-Wii U: 3DS, Wii, and DS. Pre-NS: 3DS and Wii U.)

This time around, the Switch is getting it ALL. Which means what would've been a subpar or mediocre pre-successor launch lineups for 2-3 different systems back then will now be a solid or pretty good pre-successor launch lineup for 1 system here.

Exactly!

Individual Nintendo systems may have had droughts or mediocre years but when looking at their overall output, they have always had a steady flow of releases.

In previous transitions, Nintendo has had to simultaneously develop games for 3-4 systems at a time  but now it’s just Switch and it’s successor so they should be able to give Switch a solid 2024 lineup while also making sure Switch 2 has a strong launch year.

I don’t get how some people still don’t understand this is the whole point of them unifying their handheld & home console divisions.

Not all games are created equal.  Your previous post implies that Electroplankton is just as important as a Pokemon title.  It should be obvious this isn't true.  

Nintendo likes to have several high profile titles during a launch year.  When they do this, then they have a good launch.  (And when they don't, they have a bad launch.)  Their past handheld consoles usually have 1 high profile title, like Pokemon, and several smaller titles the year before a successor.  Home titles have a similar pattern with 1 high profile title like Skyward Sword or Super Mario Bros 3 a year or so before the successor.  Even the 3DS -> Switch transition was like this, and Nintendo was benefitting from unifying home and handheld divisions at this point.  There was Pokemon Sun/Moon before the Switch released and the other first party titles were smaller titles. 

What Nintendo doesn't do is release more than 1 high profile title the year before the system gets a successor.  This year has TotK and Mario Wonder.  Both of those are huge sellers.  Not only would one of these titles be held back if a new system was about to release, but releasing a new system is going to cut into the legs of these titles if the new system comes too soon.  There may be more high profile titles coming as well. (We'll find out tomorrow.)

It makes no business sense to launch a new system soon.  They are making a ton of money right now and releasing multiple big titles.  If they were about to release a new system, then they'd be behaving differently.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
zorg1000 said:

Exactly!

Individual Nintendo systems may have had droughts or mediocre years but when looking at their overall output, they have always had a steady flow of releases.

In previous transitions, Nintendo has had to simultaneously develop games for 3-4 systems at a time  but now it’s just Switch and it’s successor so they should be able to give Switch a solid 2024 lineup while also making sure Switch 2 has a strong launch year.

I don’t get how some people still don’t understand this is the whole point of them unifying their handheld & home console divisions.

Not all games are created equal.  Your previous post implies that Electroplankton is just as important as a Pokemon title.  It should be obvious this isn't true.  

Nintendo likes to have several high profile titles during a launch year.  When they do this, then they have a good launch.  (And when they don't, they have a bad launch.)  Their past handheld consoles usually have 1 high profile title, like Pokemon, and several smaller titles the year before a successor.  Home titles have a similar pattern with 1 high profile title like Skyward Sword or Super Mario Bros 3 a year or so before the successor.  Even the 3DS -> Switch transition was like this, and Nintendo was benefitting from unifying home and handheld divisions at this point.  There was Pokemon Sun/Moon before the Switch released and the other first party titles were smaller titles. 

What Nintendo doesn't do is release more than 1 high Q1 profile title the year before the system gets a successor.  This year has TotK and Mario Wonder.  Both of those are huge sellers.  Not only would one of these titles be held back if a new system was about to release, but releasing a new system is going to cut into the legs of these titles if the new system comes too soon.  There may be more high profile titles coming as well. (We'll find out tomorrow.)

It makes no business sense to launch a new system soon.  They are making a ton of money right now and releasing multiple big titles.  If they were about to release a new system, then they'd be behaving differently.

Nah don’t change goalposts, show me where I implied Electroplankton & Pokémon are equal releases. You said they see a drop in output and that’s just not true, you don’t get to pick and choose what games count towards their output. Even if you eliminate smaller games like Electroplankton, they still had a hell of an overall lineup every year.

Your next paragraph is presented as an argument but actually supports what I’m saying. Switch 2 in mid-late November 2024 is 18 months after TotK and 13 months after Wonder, leaving an entire year of small-medium releases. That lines up exactly with what you’re saying.

It’s nonsense to think they would delay those games 1-1.5 years for Switch 2 or that their sales would be impacted since Switch will most likely be backwards compatible and Nintendo could very well release updated ports of both those games.

They literally unified their handheld and console divisions so they could have a steady stream of games every year and have smooth transitions between generations.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I have clown makeup ready in my hoping for a Xenoblade X port

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I should note that the tweet says they're looking at games releasing "this winter."
So, I'd lower my expectations just a bit.

PAOerfulone said:

I should note that the tweet says they're looking at games releasing "this winter."
So, I'd lower my expectations just a bit.

Every single Direct says they are focusing on a particular time frame and always show things outside of it.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Just anything Chibi Robo related will do me. Preferably a new game but if not then a remake/remaster of plug into adventure would be awesome!

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

As long as they show one thing I like I will call it a win.

I expect:
One or two new versions of older Nintendo games.
DLC for some big hitters.
More info on already announced things like Mario RPG and the Peach game.
Something "new" Pokemon related.
Ports of a few games playable on last gen non-nintendo consoles.
Indies

Mar1217 said:
KLXVER said:

It was Mario vs Donkey Kong, so I dont care about that. Thats just a filler title.

I mean I wouldn't insult the Mario vs DK franchise since on the direction they could go with it. 

Doing something similar to the one on Gameboy would actually be quite sick. 

The more puzzle oriented games on GBA,DS,3DS ... less so

I forgot all about them but i loved those mario vs kong games on DS!

Switch!!!

Kid Icarus and I will be the happiest Switch owner out there!

Switch!!!

I know I'm going to piss some people off (not my intent, I just know how this will go), but if it's a Direct like the last General Direct, where it lacks focus and is just a string of mediocre 1.5 minute clips of each game + announcements, I'm just going to read the announcements and leave it at that :D

I'll probably watch any of the clips that seem interesting, as Nintendo does split them up after the Direct. Or I'll watch the Direct if they focus more on the good games and just kind of montage the petty announcements that have no additional info.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.