By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Immortals of Aveum: Unreal Engine 5 at 60fps comes at a price (Digital Foundry)

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

They don't look or feel like crap though, I still had a great time with them.

And 1080p isn't even the main difference honestly, the more modern shaders, lighting and effects make a bigger difference to me, they look noticeably better in almost every way.

You're free to have your opinion but of course it feel good to you when all you have is switch get a ps5 and try going back and you will say wtf was I doing lol.

I've had a ps5 since launch.  I own and play more switch than ps5, because it has better games.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Leynos said:

Maybe you outta look at Nier on PS3 and PG games on PS3 then compare them to Nier Automata. Or declare yourself legally blind.

I don't have to look at pg games on ps3 but ps3 has better looking games then nier. It's just not game you wanna bring when talking about impressive ps4 graphics unless you're blind.

Which Nier? Automata? rofl ok. Nier original? No shit. Nier Replicant? rofl ok.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

You're free to have your opinion but of course it feel good to you when all you have is switch get a ps5 and try going back and you will say wtf was I doing lol.

I've had a ps5 since launch.  I own and play more switch than ps5, because it has better games.  

That's nice and thanks for sharing your opinion when no asked, but we were talking about games like witcher 3 and doom 2016 would you wanna play those on Switch and get a butchered experience or ps5.

Leynos said:
zeldaring said:

I don't have to look at pg games on ps3 but ps3 has better looking games then nier. It's just not game you wanna bring when talking about impressive ps4 graphics unless you're blind.

Which Nier? Automata? rofl ok. Nier original? No shit. Nier Replicant? rofl ok.

If you think nier Automata is ps4 show case graphically then maybe you should visit the eye doctor. It's never mentioned when people talk about impressive ps4 graphics.

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

That's nice and thanks for sharing your opinion when no asked, but we were talking about games like witcher 3 and doom 2016 would you wanna play those on Switch and get a butchered experience or ps5.

Yeah, I have Doom on PS5 thanks. It looks better on PC than PS5. See how that goes. No one asked for yours either but the funny thing about forums. They're public and given anyway. No one is asked for. You use the old fallacy realism is the only indicator of advanced rendering and lighting techniques. Plus it's not all visuals. BOTW and TOTK physics systems attest to that. When ToTK is doing things some devs thought not even PS5 was capable of with Ultra hand. You use false equivalence.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

I'd rather play Tears, given it is better than any game you've mentioned.  

Also who cares about games that are 5 years old?  The switch has new and exclusive games.  I'm not worried about old news.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Leynos said:
zeldaring said:

Yeah, I have Doom on PS5 thanks. It looks better on PC than PS5. See how that goes. No one asked for yours either but the funny thing about forums. They're public and given anyway. No one is asked for. You use the old fallacy realism is the only indicator of advanced rendering and lighting techniques. Plus it's not all visuals. BOTW and TOTK physics systems attest to that. When ToTK is doing things some devs thought not even PS5 was capable of with Ultra hand. You use false equivalence.

We are talking about graphics/performance. What games you prefer has nothing to with conversation. As for that dev that said he's freelancer artist. No dev thought it was impossible lol.

The op seems to talk a lot  about graphics but tech ans just doesn't make sense to that someone like that has super dated hardware unless he's doing bad finically then I apologize 

Last edited by zeldaring - on 07 September 2023

Chrkeller said:
Radek said:

The fact that people here argued with me that PS5 GPU is RTX 2070 Super level at best, some saying RTX 3050 is comparable to PS5 lol

The RTX 2070 Super is a great card and according to numerous sources is the most comparable to the ps5.  Also the 3070, according to Tom's hardware, beats out the 6700 xt.....  the ps5 isn't quite a 6700 xt per Perma....  so yeah, sounds close to the 2070 super.  

Also I never said the 3050 was comparable, I said the 3050 shockingly "wasn't bad" in comparison, which it isn't.  Clearly I'm saying it is behind the ps5. 

Don't be so disingenuous.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2070S-Super-vs-AMD-RX-6700-XT/4048vs4109

You can't compare AMD with nVidia and assume they are "equivalent" comparisons.

1) nVidia tends to have higher geometry throughput.
2) nVidia tends to have better Ray Tracing performance.
3) nVidia tends to have different bottlenecks in it's rendering pipeline.
4) 2070 Super and 3050 are chalk and cheese. At higher resolutions (Or usage of heavy Alpha effects) the 2070 would be in another league due to TWICE the amount of memory bandwidth.
The 3050 is slower than the 2060 Super, let alone the 2070 Super. - https://www.techspot.com/review/2403-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3050/

And if you took note of my comments, you will see that I said it falls between the 6700 and 6700XT, it's not a pure 6700XT equivalent.

Fact is, in terms of clockrates/architecture/functional units, the Playstation 5 closely resembles the 6700/6700XT parts in terms of capability.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

I mean, Switch graphics are definitely way behind PS5 and XS, but I wouldn't call them "stone age".

I already saw some Switch games that are very close to PS4 and XOne.

It comes down to how much time you are willing to invest in "baking" your assets. - Every generation effects are becoming more dynamic and more resource intensive.
But the Switch doesn't have that luxury.

However when a competent developer keeps the Alpha transparency memory-bandwidth sapping effects to a minimum, bakes the lighting and shadows, the Switch can look impressive considering it's hardware, more so than launch PS4 or Xbox One games.

A game like Zelda: Links Awakening remake with it's very impressive material shaders and buffer effects, I would argue looks better than Xbox One launch titles like Dead Rising 3.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

I'd rather play Tears, given it is better than any game you've mentioned.  

Also who cares about games that are 5 years old?  The switch has new and exclusive games.  I'm not worried about old news.

I played and finished tears and yea its a 8. elden ring is on another level but we are talking about ps4 ports that run sub HD and unstable 30fps he's gonna have a much better time.

Pemalite said:
Chrkeller said:

The RTX 2070 Super is a great card and according to numerous sources is the most comparable to the ps5.  Also the 3070, according to Tom's hardware, beats out the 6700 xt.....  the ps5 isn't quite a 6700 xt per Perma....  so yeah, sounds close to the 2070 super.  

Also I never said the 3050 was comparable, I said the 3050 shockingly "wasn't bad" in comparison, which it isn't.  Clearly I'm saying it is behind the ps5. 

Don't be so disingenuous.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2070S-Super-vs-AMD-RX-6700-XT/4048vs4109

You can't compare AMD with nVidia and assume they are "equivalent" comparisons.

1) nVidia tends to have higher geometry throughput.
2) nVidia tends to have better Ray Tracing performance.
3) nVidia tends to have different bottlenecks in it's rendering pipeline.
4) 2070 Super and 3050 are chalk and cheese. At higher resolutions (Or usage of heavy Alpha effects) the 2070 would be in another league due to TWICE the amount of memory bandwidth.
The 3050 is slower than the 2060 Super, let alone the 2070 Super. - https://www.techspot.com/review/2403-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3050/

And if you took note of my comments, you will see that I said it falls between the 6700 and 6700XT, it's not a pure 6700XT equivalent.

Fact is, in terms of clockrates/architecture/functional units, the Playstation 5 closely resembles the 6700/6700XT parts in terms of capability.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

I mean, Switch graphics are definitely way behind PS5 and XS, but I wouldn't call them "stone age".

I already saw some Switch games that are very close to PS4 and XOne.

It comes down to how much time you are willing to invest in "baking" your assets. - Every generation effects are becoming more dynamic and more resource intensive.
But the Switch doesn't have that luxury.

However when a competent developer keeps the Alpha transparency memory-bandwidth sapping effects to a minimum, bakes the lighting and shadows, the Switch can look impressive considering it's hardware, more so than launch PS4 or Xbox One games.

A game like Zelda: Links Awakening remake with it's very impressive material shaders and buffer effects, I would argue looks better than Xbox One launch titles like Dead Rising 3.

I fully understand and I think we are saying the same thing.  My point was the 2070 super isn't a weak gpu.  It is quite strong, even today.  Some seem to take an issue saying the 2070 super and the ps5 are comparable....  they are comparable.

Fair enough it isn't the best comparison but they are in the same league.  That was my point.

And RT is terrible on the ps5.  

Edit

And I get the impression some are making the mistake of assuming a 3000 card is better than a 2000 card...  which isn't the case.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 07 September 2023

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED