By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Immortals of Aveum: Unreal Engine 5 at 60fps comes at a price (Digital Foundry)

Switch (docked) is like twice as powerful as PS360. Switch 2 will be twice as powerful as PS4 (maybe more!). A proper genrational jump. Excited for the reveal.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

Ah ok that's understandable. I honestly can't wait for you to get new hardware i feel if you love  gaming you should upgrade your hardware lol PC, switch2, ps5 or anything but thats just my opinion, it's just too dated, and i feel it just really hurts the experience of course its just my opinion though.

Well I don't feel it hurts my experience.

Leynos said:

Luigi's Mansion 3 is graphically more impressive than TLOU on PS3.

I mean yeah, that's to be expected as it is superior hardware. The whole "Switch is on par with PS3/360" is such a weird myth, it's remarkable how many people believe it considering it is objectively false. My guess is people are comparing their memories of how good PS3 looked back in the 7th gen to how Switch games look to them now. 

Thats's what i find laughable  if you feel graphics and  performance don't hurt the experience i don't know whats the point of even discussing this stuff when it doesn't matter to you lol. 

Last edited by zeldaring - on 08 September 2023

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

Leynos said:

I mean yeah, that's to be expected as it is superior hardware. The whole "Switch is on par with PS3/360" is such a weird myth, it's remarkable how many people believe it considering it is objectively false. My guess is people are comparing their memories of how good PS3 looked back in the 7th gen to how Switch games look to them now. 

Thats's what i find laughable  if you feel graphics and  performance don't hurt the experience i don't know whats the point of even discussing this stuff when it doesn't matter to you lol. 

I already told you. Enjoying discussing technology is a totally different thing to needing your games to be technically high end to enjoy them.

Not sure why you can't comprehend that, or why you feel the need to be so rude about it. Is it too much to ask for a civil and mature discussion?

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

Leynos said:

And this why I jumped in before, I'm with Curl.  RDR2 is remarkable in visuals.... and boring as crap.  I would rather play Katamari.  Graphics can enhance atmosphere but the gameplay matters more.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

I already told you. Enjoying discussing technology is a totally different thing to needing your games to be technically high end to enjoy them.

Not sure why you can't comprehend that, or why you feel the need to be so rude about it. Is it too much to ask for a civil and mature discussion?

I'm sorry man but it irks me like someone discussing tech passionately  and doesn't even care to use it lol or experience it, but i get it, peace.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

Ah ok that's understandable. I honestly can't wait for you to get new hardware i feel if you love  gaming you should upgrade your hardware lol PC, switch2, ps5 or anything but thats just my opinion, it's just too dated, and i feel it just really hurts the experience of course its just my opinion though.

Leynos said:

Agree but there is this long-used shallow-minded idea only realism can show impressive graphical effects and push hardware features. Also yeah R* games look impressive but they are mechanically meh to mundane and tedious.

Last edited by Leynos - on 08 September 2023

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Chrkeller said:

I fully understand and I think we are saying the same thing.  My point was the 2070 super isn't a weak gpu.  It is quite strong, even today.  Some seem to take an issue saying the 2070 super and the ps5 are comparable....  they are comparable.

Fair enough it isn't the best comparison but they are in the same league.  That was my point.

And RT is terrible on the ps5.  

Edit

And I get the impression some are making the mistake of assuming a 3000 card is better than a 2000 card...  which isn't the case.  

The 2070 super is a Geforce card.

Playstation 5 is AMD. - The most comparable GPU is the Radeon 6700/6700XT.
And the 6700XT is often 20-30% faster than a Geforce 2070 Super... And sometimes will even outbench the 2080.

https://www.techspot.com/review/2216-amd-radeon-6700-xt/

The 2070 Super is not a bad car per-say. But it's not what is in the Playstation 5.

And yes. RT is terrible on all the consoles, but that is a walled garden developers need to work in and optimize for.

And even Digital foundry agees with my assessment with a video that dropped today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9ixOe2MtJs

3000 cards tend to be better than the 2000 series in a like-for-like comparison.
I.E. 3060 vs 2060.

But a 2060 super is a far better option than a 3050.

Radek said:

The point is Switch can't get a native port of a game like RDR2 unless it runs at 480p using lowest preset

Meanwhile base PS4 is 1080p native 30 fps. I still wonder how Hogwarts Legacy will look on the Switch, they have not shown a thing and it's supposed to release in 2 months from now.

That game is already 720p on base Xbox One.

False.

If Rockstar wanted to (And they have the money), they could remove the dynamic shadowing and lighting and bake those into the assets, removing a massive amount of required rendering resources.

And I assume this is the path they are going down with hogwarts, otherwise it will look like an elvens arse.

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

You don't need to take it so personally when people disagree with you.

What does it matter to you if I'm fine with Switch graphics, or Chrkeller prefers PS5 to Switch? Chill out, it's not the end of the world.

I don't take it personally we are just discussing graphics and performance. I just don't get how someone is so into discussing and making topics about them, yet doest care to about actually playing games with descent hardware and performance sorry it's doesn't make sense to me.

what annoyed about Chrkeller is he came into making into ps5 vs switch, with the switch has better games which is just preference and depending if a person owns a PC cause if you don't own PC and only have switch then ps5 is leagues  ahead in terms of games i enjoy but as i said before that just a preference issue.    

Appreciating amazing visuals is one thing.
Playing a game that is enjoyable is another.

I for instance love Starfield, Hogwarts and Baldurs Gate 3.

They look and play incredible.

But I will happily go back and play Super Metroid from the SNES or Master of Orion 2 on PC... Because I also enjoy those games.

You can do both.

zeldaring said:

Graphics/Visuals only hurt the experience if a developer is going for hyper-realism, games that chase that tend to "visually age" far more significantly than more stylized approaches.

And lets be honest, if graphics was the single most important factor with games, then consoles wouldn't and shouldn't exist, they are only mid-range platforms at best.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Chrkeller said:

I fully understand and I think we are saying the same thing.  My point was the 2070 super isn't a weak gpu.  It is quite strong, even today.  Some seem to take an issue saying the 2070 super and the ps5 are comparable....  they are comparable.

Fair enough it isn't the best comparison but they are in the same league.  That was my point.

Edit

And I get the impression some are making the mistake of assuming a 3000 card is better than a 2000 card...  which isn't the case.  

And the 6700XT is often 20-30% faster than a Geforce 2070 Super... And sometimes will even outbench the 2080.

The 2070 Super is not a bad car per-say. But it's not what is in the Playstation 5.

And yes. RT is terrible on all the consoles, but that is a walled garden developers need to work in and optimize for.

And even Digital foundry agees with my assessment with a video that dropped today.

3000 cards tend to be better than the 2000 series in a like-for-like comparison.
I.E. 3060 vs 2060.

Radek said:

The point is Switch can't get a native port of a game like RDR2 unless it runs at 480p using lowest preset

Meanwhile base PS4 is 1080p native 30 fps. I still wonder how Hogwarts Legacy will look on the Switch, they have not shown a thing and it's supposed to release in 2 months from now.

False.

If Rockstar wanted to (And they have the money), they could remove the dynamic shadowing and lighting and bake those into the assets, removing a massive amount of required rendering resources.

And I assume this is the path they are going down with hogwarts, otherwise it will look like an elvens arse.

zeldaring said:

I don't take it personally we are just discussing graphics and performance. I just don't get how someone is so into discussing and making topics about them, yet doest care to about actually playing games with descent hardware and performance sorry it's doesn't make sense to me.

what annoyed about Chrkeller is he came into making into ps5 vs switch, with the switch has better games which is just preference and depending if a person owns a PC cause if you don't own PC and only have switch then ps5 is leagues  ahead in terms of games i enjoy but as i said before that just a preference issue.    

But I will happily go back and play Super Metroid from the SNES or Master of Orion 2 on PC... Because I also enjoy those games.

You can do both.

zeldaring said:

Graphics/Visuals only hurt the experience if a developer is going for hyper-realism, games that chase that tend to "visually age" far more significantly than more stylized approaches.

And lets be honest, if graphics was the single most important factor with games, then consoles wouldn't and shouldn't exist, they are only mid-range platforms at best.

I know.  That was my point.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Pemalite said:
Chrkeller said:

Edit

I.E. 3060 vs 2060.

Radek said:

False.

zeldaring said:

You can do both.

zeldaring said:

Yea i was talking about  ps4 ports like doom, witcher 3, doom eternal dark souls. Those games look and run like shit on switch but he rather just play them on switch to support Nintendo or apparently sub 30fps sub hd doesn't effect the gaming experience.