By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Hot take - I think the Joy-Cons are underrated

What mode do you use to play your Switch?

Handheld 4 10.81%

Docked 17 45.95%

Tabletop 0 0%

Handheld/Docked 11 29.73%

Handheld/Tabletop 0 0%

Docked/Tabletop 1 2.70%

All 4 10.81%

Total:37
Slownenberg said:
Chrkeller said:

Agreed.  My kids have gone through 3 sets and to the persons who says cleaning them fixes the issue, that isn't true.  I tried like hell multiple times to fix joy cons, they are crap controllers.  Great idea, terrible execution.

No need to try like hell and definitely no reason to ever buy new sets of joycons. If you're cleaning them and its not fixing it you're doing something wrong.

Just get electronic contact cleaner. Lift up the little flap on the control stick and spray under there. Move the stick all around for a few seconds after that and then wait for it to dry. It's a little hard to hold the little flap up while you spray (though a second pair of hands would probably make it easy). Then your joycon is good to go drift-free for a good long while usually. Drift stopped being a problem for me several years ago, just gotta do this cleaning once or twice a year depending on how much I play.

Tried that.  Didn't work.  If it were that easy I would have done it.

The joy cons from a durability perspective are absolutely junk. 

Nintendo didn't apologize and offer free repairs for no reason.  Nintendo needs to do better with their next hybrid system.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 01 August 2023

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network

Im not a fan. They are too small. Thank god for the pro controller which is amazing.

Darwinianevolution said:

Joycons would be one of my favourite controllers ever, if they weren't so damn faulty. The drifting problem has been an epidemic throughout the entire Switch lifespan.

Yeah, my pro controller drifts as well. Pikmin 4 became more challenging...

KLXVER said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Joycons would be one of my favourite controllers ever, if they weren't so damn faulty. The drifting problem has been an epidemic throughout the entire Switch lifespan.

Really? Huh, I didn't know it could happen to the Pro as well. Now I'm worried for mine...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
KLXVER said:

Really? Huh, I didn't know it could happen to the Pro as well. Now I'm worried for mine...

Yeah, I have drift on my Wii U Gamepad as well. Paper Mario Color Splash became a nightmare at times. Might just be unlucky...I dont know. 

Its not on all games though. Just the ones that have sensitive controls. Like the D-Pad on the Pro controller is usually great, but it was awful for Tetris 99.

Around the Network

They were great when they were brand new, and I continue to like them, in theory. But, because of the way Nintendo handled the drift issue (basically ignoring it and continuing to sell a product that they know to be faulty, and charging a premium price for it), I just can't see them as a good product.

I got about 5 years out of my launch joycons before I experienced drift. But it doesn't matter that mine worked. What matters is that Nintendo knew there was a widespread problem and didn't even bother to change the products moving forward.

Darwinianevolution said:
KLXVER said:

Even my dualsense is drifting sometimes. Although not nearly as much as my joycons. It's a plague now.

VAMatt said:

They were great when they were brand new, and I continue to like them, in theory. But, because of the way Nintendo handled the drift issue (basically ignoring it and continuing to sell a product that they know to be faulty, and charging a premium price for it), I just can't see them as a good product.

I got about 5 years out of my launch joycons before I experienced drift. But it doesn't matter that mine worked. What matters is that Nintendo knew there was a widespread problem and didn't even bother to change the products moving forward.

Damn it. I had 3 pairs now. All them started drifting after 5 months. The last pair at least drift very little like once a month. So when it starts I just rage quit playing and turn on my PS5 to play something else. Otherwise it works fine. 

The first one became absolutely unusable after a year. Every time I sync it with my Switch it starts to move the cursor in the OS like some ghost. Trash

The joy cons have been a pita since day 1. I play docked and right from launch the left controller kept losing connection with the docked Switch. I 'fixed' it by getting an extra long hdmi cord to have the Switch sit in the middle of the room, close enough for the left joy-con not to keep disconnecting.

Then after 6 months, stick drift ugh. Sure Nintendo repaired it (eventually) for no cost. They work again however I pretty much only use a pro controller nowadays.

The buttons are too small, the controllers are not comfortable to hold in any way. If I want to play with my hands apart, I'll play VR. The new sense controllers are amazing, very comfortable, but unfortunately don't have enough buttons to easily replace regular controllers.

I think they're pretty neat. They're basically jack of all trade controllers. They do pretty much everything, handheld, tv, motion, multiplayer with one set, but aren't really the best for any particular use. If it weren't for the drift, they'd be very good.