By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Signs of a new PS5 start appearing in stores

super_etecoon said:
BraLoD said:

I mean, when your console is clearly inspired by Seto Kaiba himself, you can't say its not a big win design wise.

I can’t argue against that. I mean, I could, but it wouldn’t do much good. When that’s where your starting point is we’re just on completely different planets. To be fair, the XBox Series X awakened in me a latent trypophobia, so at least it’s not a visceral reaction I have against it. 

You just activated Sony's trap card!

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Hiku said:

What would be the real estate benefit of not having liquid metal? Wouldn't they need another fan instead, which takes up more space?

And Microsoft's comment is the main reason I am hoping for a Slim this year. Pretty weird that they would be that specific about the price and date if they don't know something.

As for PS5's look, I really disliked it the first time I saw it. Now I think it looks fine, if it wasn't so huge that is.
So a smaller version could be perfect.

Kinda like those bootleg PS5's from Aliexpress.

Liquid metal is likely a bit more expensive than thermal paste, and I think the process to assemble it should be quite different, considering the extra layers of protection the apu needs because of that, which can become a few millions in savings.

I dunno if they would actually need another fan, even as liquid metal is better than thermal paste it should not make that much difference in final temps. I think there are some videos out there with people using thermal paste and it working just fine, just a bit hotter.

Most thermal pastes by now use at least some liquid metal to give good performances, cheaping out on that would only save a couple cents at most.

made at 5nm.

I hope it's true.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
BraLoD said:

I mean, when your console is clearly inspired by Seto Kaiba himself, you can't say its not a big win design wise.

I like this one:

I'm curious to see what a PS5 slim would look like.

At this point it has to look like Mokuba.

And the Pro would be Yugi.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

made at 5nm.

I hope it's true.

So smaller APU and no liquid metal?

Exactly like what I posted here? 🙃

Around the Network
Hiku said:
BraLoD said:

Yeah, the heatsink was massive, but the Slim is very likely coming with an apu redesign, maybe even phasing out the liquid metal as well, that should be the major point of doing it.

And we would probably be getting rumors of that smaller apu already if that would be getting released in around 3 months from now.

I doubt we will see the Slim release this year, but who knows.

What would be the real estate benefit of not having liquid metal? Wouldn't they need another fan instead, which takes up more space?

And Microsoft's comment is the main reason I am hoping for a Slim this year. Pretty weird that they would be that specific about the price and date if they don't know something.

As for PS5's look, I really disliked it the first time I saw it. Now I think it looks fine, if it wasn't so huge that is.
So a smaller version could be perfect.

Kinda like those bootleg PS5's from Aliexpress.

<SNIP>

Liquid metal isn't a requirement.

The main reason they use it is for a better thermal contact between the APU and Heatsink. - But there are alternatives to liquid metal that would perform just as well for that TDP... And cheaper to boot.

Sony and Microsoft over-engineered their cooling solutions this generation, which isn't a bad thing for us.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

made at 5nm.

I hope it's true.

No liquid metal = cost saveing option.
They already figoured out the design to work with it.... so them removeing it, must be to reduce costs.

Pemalite said:
JRPGfan said:

Even if in terms of BoM, its only like 15-20$ maybe, I could see them putting the disk drives up for sale at a profit.
This could offset the PS5 sell cost abit (probably not by much), along with the "digital distribution vs physical" aspect (again probably not doing much).

I think it would be amasing if they could get discless PS5 (perhaps slim) down to like 349$, instead of just the predictable keeping it at 399$.

Xbox Series S, is going for 299$.
Getting within 50$ of it, and oftering more than twice the performance/resolution, along with better storage/space than the S, would be big.
ontop of that, going from 349$ PS5 to a 499$ xbox series X, would be a big cost increase (150$ more for a xbox).

Stuff like that can matter in terms of sales.

They would murder the Series S in sales more than they are already.

But, if Sony can reduce the cost of the PS5 to $349, I would imagine the Series S could drop below $199 as a chunk of costs are shared commodity costs between Series S and the Playstation 5. (NAND, Ram, SoC, Blu-tooth/Wifi/USB controllers/HDMI/Fans/Heatsinks/Mosfets/inductors/various IC's/Caps etc')

Not sure MS would be able to drop since at the same time sony was mentioning that PS5 without disc was losing about 50USD and the version with disc was about profitable we had MS mentioning they lost 100 to 200 per console sold (and considering that most of what is inside S is on X, the difference being on the GPU and disc mostly and that couldn't account for the 200 difference in price, I would say that they were losing 100 on X and 200 on S).

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
BraLoD said:

I like this one:

I'm curious to see what a PS5 slim would look like.

Mokuba perhaps? Or Yu-gi-oh (king of games)...

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Pemalite said:

They would murder the Series S in sales more than they are already.

But, if Sony can reduce the cost of the PS5 to $349, I would imagine the Series S could drop below $199 as a chunk of costs are shared commodity costs between Series S and the Playstation 5. (NAND, Ram, SoC, Blu-tooth/Wifi/USB controllers/HDMI/Fans/Heatsinks/Mosfets/inductors/various IC's/Caps etc')

Not sure MS would be able to drop since at the same time sony was mentioning that PS5 without disc was losing about 50USD and the version with disc was about profitable we had MS mentioning they lost 100 to 200 per console sold (and considering that most of what is inside S is on X, the difference being on the GPU and disc mostly and that couldn't account for the 200 difference in price, I would say that they were losing 100 on X and 200 on S).

I would need to see updated costings before I believe that. A lot has changed as far as commodity component prices go since the consoles launched 3 years ago.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
DonFerrari said:

I would need to see updated costings before I believe that. A lot has changed as far as commodity component prices go since the consoles launched 3 years ago.

Sure a lot changed, but Phil Spencer talking about the amount lost is far recent (and of course it would be hard to see MS official information updates on the cost per console) - https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-loses-as-much-as-200-on-every-xbox-it-sells-phil-spencer-says/1100-6508748/

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/4/22609150/sony-playstation-5-ps5-loss-profit

So PS5 was breaking even almost 18 months before MS was still losing almost 200 per console.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."