By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart - PC Max vs PS5 vs PC Very Low - First Look

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart - PC Max vs PS5 vs PC Very Low - First Look - YouTube

NOTE: At the eight minute mark, the RX 570 is compared to the PS4 - we meant PS4 Pro. The RX 570 has 32 GCN compute units, similar to the PS4 Pro GPU, but runs at with higher clocks.

We received an advance build Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart on PC ahead of time, but with not enough time available to do a complete analysis. So here, we take a look at the PC version at max and minimum specs on appropriate hardware and stack it up against the PlayStation 5 version running in its performance RT mode.

Around the Network

Can also include the comments from John and few other members from DF that were put into twitter and would help people analysing it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Like any PC game, its worth waiting to see if any patches will improve anything.

I'm likely gonna end up buying the PS5 ver and the PC version later (like what I've been doing with all the Sony games being released on PC).

Nixxes were VERY good at post-launch updates with both Spider-Man games, so I'm really looking forward to seeing what further improvements can be made over the coming several months.

But people told me it's was impossible to have this game on lower specs than the mighty PS5... WTF

Isn't the minimum comparable to a PS4? What a turn around...

Last edited by 160rmf - on 27 July 2023

We reap what we sow

Around the Network
160rmf said:

But people told me it's was impossible to have this game on lower specs than the mighty PS5... WTF

Even the minimum uses technology that isn't available on PS4 like direct storage, runs very poorly, have giant loads into dimension transition, etc. So it doesn't achieve the intended vision of the game.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
160rmf said:

Even the minimum uses technology that isn't available on PS4 like direct storage, runs very poorly, have giant loads into dimension transition, etc. So it doesn't achieve the intended vision of the game.

It definitely not the best compared side by side with way superior specs, but it is way far from a very poor performance by its own. Plus they can improve by updates

Last edited by 160rmf - on 27 July 2023

We reap what we sow

The minimum version, we van claim it runs but that's about it. Insomniac was probably right to not make a PS4 version as it would struggle quite hard.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

160rmf said:

DF tried to run the game with a PS4 specced HDD, it stuttered and eventually crashed.
The minimum still requires better storage speeds than what comes in the ps4.

All of which leads us onto one of the more inane discussion points we've seen: the fact that the game runs on slower machines with no SSD when Insomniac claimed that the SSD was essential for the game they'd created. First of all, the difference between the console experience and the 'very low' setting is frankly immense in terms of data transfer. Secondly, the comment was likely made in relation to the other development platform available to them, the PlayStation 4. In the video you'll witness the carnage of what happens when you try to run Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart on a launch PS4 512GB HDD - even the very low setting doesn't work and the game eventually crashes.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 27 July 2023

Got to play for a few hours yesterday and thankfully with my 5+ year old SSD, I didn't have any hiccups. If there were times of loading taking a little longer than usual during the opening section of jumping between portals, it was marginal and unnoticeable.

There were a few bugs I came across but just things that will for sure be fixed with patches down the road.

Whoever is playing this game on an HDD is just doing it for trolling and for the lawlz