By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When do you think the Switch Successor will release?

Will the Switch successor launch in 2024?

Yes 3 75.00%

No 1 25.00%

Total:4

This may be interesting:

Norichika Megume from Jupiter Corporations said in an interview that the next Picross game is coming to a "new hardware down the road". Here's the full interview, but I'll quote the important stuff:

---

Do you have a final message for the Picross players?

MEGURO: Our last message to the fans is to thank you very much for picking up and playing Picross. The series will certainly be coming to the new hardware down the road, so please look forward to it.

Especially as we make the Picross S series, the internet allows us to get direct feedback from users, which certainly helps us evolve the series in a faster way. So we really appreciate the feedback from the fanbase.

Around the Network
numberwang said:

When describing the term hybrid console, would you say that Switch is

a) a portable console that can be docked
b) a home console that can be undocked and carried with you

Depends on how a personal typically uses the switch and their personal choices.  Hence the point of the switch being a hybrid because it "switches" between mobile and home.  Almost like Nintendo designed it that way.  Now that I think of it they did design it that way.  Might also explain why Nintendo combined their home and portable divisions, because it is all one now!

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

numberwang said:

When describing the term hybrid console, would you say that Switch is

a) a portable console that can be docked
b) a home console that can be undocked and carried with you

What makes the switch a "hybrid console" from my perspective isn't the fact that it can be docked or undocked but the fact that the joycon is designed around the fact that it can be docked or undocked. If we compare it to say the Steam Deck which is a handheld that can also be docked or undocked, what makes the switch a Hybrid vs a Steam Deck a handheld is the simple fact that the controllers on the Steam Deck do not come off.

You can get an xbox controller and pair it to the Steam Deck while it's docked and sure it will play games just fine but that doesn't mean the Steam deck was designed around that function. While the switch, you can play it in handheld form with the Joycons attached, you can play it in kickstand form with the joycons detached, you can play it on console form with the dock and the joycons detached. For me, that's the key difference.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I think all we can be fairly confident on is that the successor is more than 12 months away but not more than 24 months away. Mostly likely either holiday 2024 or possibly even early Fall 2024 or another release around March (2025).

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

This may be interesting:

Norichika Megume from Jupiter Corporations said in an interview that the next Picross game is coming to a "new hardware down the road". Here's the full interview, but I'll quote the important stuff:

---

MEGURO: Our last message to the fans is to thank you very much for picking up and playing Picross. The series will certainly be coming to the new hardware down the road, so please look forward to it.

Especially as we make the Picross S series, the internet allows us to get direct feedback from users, which certainly helps us evolve the series in a faster way. So we really appreciate the feedback from the fanbase.

Is there any chance to be a translation error? Maybe it is not in the sense of something that isn't released; but as going to a new direction, branching the franchise to other platforms?

We reap what we sow

Around the Network
160rmf said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

This may be interesting:

---

Is there any chance to be a translation error? Maybe it is not in the sense of something that isn't released; but as going to a new direction, branching the franchise to other platforms?

Hm... Not sure, I just copied the quote from the original article.

Chrkeller said:

And controllers are accessories to consoles.  Doesn't mean my ps5 isn't a videogame machine because reasons.

At the end of the day people don't agree with your opinion.  You really shouldn't be this triggered.  Let it go.  

Correct. But if you remove your controllers, the PS5 would still be classified as a home console.

I'm not triggered, I enjoy debating, you should know this.

Plus the Switch Lite also exists.

zorg1000 said:

You can’t be serious, are you?

It has a disclaimer stating that docks come bundled and extra ones are for playing on different TVs without having to unplug and move everything. Another reason would be if you break the one that comes bundled.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console

The Switch doesn't require the Dock to be usable. - It's an optional accessory, not a required one.

So if you break the dock that comes with your console, you can still use and game on your console, you can still recharge your console.

The definition of an accessory:

accessory
noun
noun: accessory; plural noun: accessories; noun: accessary; plural noun: accessaries
  1. 1.
    a thing which can be added to something else in order to make it more useful, versatile, or attractive.
    "optional acc

Hence, the Switch is a portable console with an added accessory, not a Hybrid.

And Nintendo will absolutely use the same portable-first concept for it's next-gen hardware as Nintendo has always had more success with it's handheld hardware.

Chrkeller said:

Depends on how a personal typically uses the switch and their personal choices.  Hence the point of the switch being a hybrid because it "switches" between mobile and home.  Almost like Nintendo designed it that way.  Now that I think of it they did design it that way.  Might also explain why Nintendo combined their home and portable divisions, because it is all one now!

But it's not "switching" anything.

There is no change of hardware or capabilities.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

April or May 2024.

bartkuz said:

April or May 2024.

I kind of hope it is 2024.  I'm ready for a hybrid upgrade.  The switch runs games well but it could use some more horsepower.  In this case I think a little bit goes along way, meaning the switch 2 will be a significant jump.  I'm thinking November 2024 for launch.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Pemalite said:

zorg1000 said:

You can’t be serious, are you?

It has a disclaimer stating that docks come bundled and extra ones are for playing on different TVs without having to unplug and move everything. Another reason would be if you break the one that comes bundled.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console

The Switch doesn't require the Dock to be usable. - It's an optional accessory, not a required one.

So if you break the dock that comes with your console, you can still use and game on your console, you can still recharge your console.

The definition of an accessory:

accessory
noun
noun: accessory; plural noun: accessories; noun: accessary; plural noun: accessaries
  1. 1.
    a thing which can be added to something else in order to make it more useful, versatile, or attractive.
    "optional acc

Hence, the Switch is a portable console with an added accessory, not a Hybrid.

And Nintendo will absolutely use the same portable-first concept for its next-gen hardware as Nintendo has always had more success with its handheld hardware.

I don’t really understand yours argument here, so in order for it to be a hybrid in your view, the console portion would have to be required for the handheld portion to work? Wouldn’t that require the handheld portion to remain in range therefore eliminating the ability to play on the go? In other words, Wii U?

I think we’re all getting too hung up on the labels home/portable/hybrid. The concept, design and marketing all revolve around the ability to play where/when/how you want as seamlessly as possible with everything bundled together in order to do so, so whether we call it a hybrid or a handheld with the option to play on a TV is just arguing semantics.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.