By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Do People View the MS Acquisition of ABK as a "Good Thing?"

Tagged games:

I rather see an American company buy up the competition than have foreign companies like Tencent do so.

Having all these games on Game Pass for a low monthly subscription is also a huge plus.

Around the Network

there was a very similar thread late last year so I'll post here one of my answers which is relevant here:

I believe this deal is good for

• Microsoft/Xbox
  • Activision Blizzard
  • Workers at Activision Blizzard
  • Union advocate
  • Gamepass
  • Gamapass Users
  • Switch and future next Nintendo system owner
  • Steam User
  • Anyone who wants the Acti-Blizz management/work culture to change
  • Anyone who hopes for a possibility of Activision Blizzard studios to even consider being creative again
  • PlayStation Plus user (Only if Sony accepts the deal and benefits from CoD on PlayStation Plus day 1 as Ms offered)

It is neutral for

• Any third party as Take Two made clear
  • Anyone who doesn't subscribe/wants to subscribe to GamePass (as all the games will still be available for purchase)

It is bad for:

• Sony*

But even then it is only bad for their ability to sell ps5+ with limited competition from the Xbox series+ system and their ability to grow their margin profits unchallenged.
Even if the deal goes through it won't:

• Make Uncharted, God of War, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, and Last of Us ... fans disappear
  • inhibit the ability for Sony to create and release new games for their system and/or PC
  • prevent Sony from making other acquisitions and they've made quite a few this year and will continue to do so by their statement
  • prevent Sony from bolstering its offering (PlayStation + wise as well as a standard sale) 
  • Remove CoD from their offering
  • Make Xbox anywhere near the point of a monopoly 

Also, the impact on Sony is already mitigated by:

• The fact they are the one who benefits from a dominant position as of now.
  • The fact that many Acti-Blizz projects are already announced for Ps5 and MS will respect all of those (ex: Diablo 4)
  • The impact of this won't be felt for many years and won't come all at once

Same reason as why people fall for crypto schemes and MLMs. Because some people are really dumb about being taken in by PR.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 11 July 2023

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

EpicRandy said:

there was a very similar thread late last year so I'll post here one of my answers which is relevant here:

• Microsoft/Xbox
  • Activision Blizzard
  • Union advocate
  • Gamepass
  • Gamapass Users
  • Steam User
  • Anyone who hopes for a possibility of Activision Blizzard studios to even consider being creative again
  • PlayStation Plus user (Only if Sony accepts the deal and benefits from CoD on PlayStation Plus day 1 as Ms offered)

before i comment on anything else, do you also support Disney and NBC's acquisitions or do you see these as a different case? or, in addition, any other oligopoly. 

NintendoPie said:
gtotheunit91 said:

The one good thing the FTC and CMA got out of this was forcing MS to play nice with other cloud streaming services and other platforms.

You'll get ActiBlizz games on Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo, PC (Steam and Battle.net, maybe Epic Games Store down the line) stream the games on xCloud, Nvidia GeForce Now, Boosteroid, Nware, and one or two other streaming services that I don't recall off the top of my head. But streaming services that would never in their company's lifetime been able to afford ActiBlizz games on their service.

And those weren't just publicity stunts. Xbox first-party games have already been coming to those services over the past couple of months.

Just through xCloud alone, you'll be able to stream these games on Samsung TVs, iPhone, iPad, Android (smartphone and tablet) Mac computers through Safari, and additional web browsers.

That's a LOT of additional players that will get to play these games.

One thing people really need to get out of their mind and think that it was part of the court proceedings is that this is concerning Microsoft as a whole. This entire court preceding was pertaining exclusively to Xbox's overall marketshare in gaming and nothing else. 

honestly, i'm not even really surprised by MS' "good-will" in the way they are handling cloud gaming. even before this, MS brought their internal IPs to other platforms and had no qualms about it. (thinking of Minecraft, for instance.) 

my problem isn't even necessarily with how i think MS should or will handle their now-future IP, just rather that i think this sets a dangerous precedent for the gaming industry as a whole. one that already has gone way too far down the slippery slope in the movie and television industry, as i mentioned in the OP.

if that's the one good thing we as consumers got out of this, i'm not sure that will be good enough to cover the fire this has basically already started in the industry.

i guess the FTC (or whomever) framed the scope of the case poorly then, as i would think this, in the long-run, does concern Microsoft as a whole and not just XB. i'm actually kind of confused by what you mean here considering they are one-in-the-same in my mind.

Yeah but one big thing you forget is that Disney was already the largest movie distributor in the world when they bought Fox. There are a lot of large publishers in the gaming industry whereas compared to the movie industry, there's only several. And Xbox is last in the console space.

In regards to what you're confused about when it comes to Xbox being separate from Microsoft when it comes to gaming, let me put it this way. Xbox is a subsidiary of Microsoft the same way PlayStation is a subsidiary of Sony. Do you consider PlayStation and something like Columbia Pictures one-in-the-same? After all, both divisions are subsidiaries of Sony. Of course not. 

Xbox, the subsidiary of Microsoft, is way behind its competitors in the gaming space. Xbox has to generate revenue and profits independently in order to continue running and Microsoft not shut the division down. That's why during these court hearings, the only important matter was only ever Xbox's current gaming marketshare, and not about how Microsoft was doing as a whole. Why do you think Phil Spencer has a CEO title?

But, how they're going about that, of course is up for debate. I personally want this consolidation to end. 

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
EpicRandy said:

• Microsoft/Xbox
  • Activision Blizzard
  • Union advocate
  • Gamepass
  • Gamapass Users
  • Steam User

before I comment on anything else, do you also support Disney and NBC's acquisitions or do you see these as a different case? or, in addition, any other oligopoly. 

I have no information on the Disney acquisition and did not make any research so hard to say if I'm against it or for it. Every acquisition must be looked at through the lens of their impact in the markets they evolve in. Nothing more nothing less. Disney already boasts a dominant position in its market way more so than MS has with Xbox so it's likely to be a substantially different case. Also, I don't know enough about NBC to see what they actually bring to Disney so hard to say which markets are actually impacted. But in creative sectors, it will always be harder to demonstrate anti-competitive behavior because every product is unique and does not really impact one another directly.

Also, there's nothing in the ABK merger that reinforces a supposed oligopoly status of the video game market quite the opposite in fact by stimulating competition it actually provides a harder path for such to exist.

It is also worth noting that the ABK transaction is viewed as a vertical merger, not a horizontal one which means the number of actors in the industry doesn't decrease.

Last edited by EpicRandy - on 11 July 2023

I'm mostly neutral on this but it will directly benefit a lot of people to varying degrees so it's only natural it's viewed positively by many. Consolidation is concerning but for this case it's not that bad relatively speaking so it's tough to convince those who aren't already ideologically opposed to stuff like this to be against it which is why general reception appears to be positive.

Honestly it sucks, especially since there's probably more acquisition coming from these big corporation to gobble up smaller ones. Tencent already does it, Saudi Arabia is investing left and right, Sony is probably going to push harder and obviously other big ones like Google, Amazon, Netflix, etc. If Activision Blizzard is accepted, then everything will be because Activision Blizzard was the biggest third party out there. Which essentially means company with more money gets to be at the top of the industry. The one positive tho is that Microsoft was the one that got it, not some random Chinese company or corporation that have no gaming knowledge.

Short term gain, instant gratification, people can't look further than the next few years.

If the deal goes through:
- Expect more acquisitions
- Game ownership to be phased out further
- Even more focus on live service, MTX and season passes
- Future game design to be even more based on stimulating addictive behavior
- GP / PS+ Extra prices to go up more
- Less choice / more fragmented choice in the long run
- Lower quality games

Anyway that's what happened with tv and movies.

SvennoJ said:

Short term gain, instant gratification, people can't look further than the next few years.

If the deal goes through:
- Expect more acquisitions
- Game ownership to be phased out further
- Even more focus on live service, MTX and season passes
- Future game design to be even more based on stimulating addictive behavior
- GP / PS+ Extra prices to go up more
- Less choice / more fragmented choice in the long run
- Lower quality games

Anyway that's what happened with tv and movies.

Did.....we not see the same Xbox showcase? Practically all of their studios are working on single player games.

Obsidian, inXile, and Double Fine are some of the creative studios out there. The first two in the WRPG space. Seems kind of disingenuous that studios like are suddenly going to down the chute. Especially considering how much creative praise they've promoted since being acquired. Even Xbox's Strategy genre is kicking on all gears with Age of Empires and an entry in the 4X genre with Ara: History Untold. 

I do agree with you on some of these points though like prices increasing, more acquisitions. 

I'm not sure what you mean by less choice though.