By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - 10 Years Since Tropes vs. Women

Chrkeller said:

I tend to agree with Anita. As a parent of young kids too many games are just too blatantly overly sexual. I do think it has gotten better.

No offense, but that's just a common argument towards poor parenting. That only makes sense if games were exclusively meant for kids, or lots of games rated towards kids had sexual content. If the parent doesn't want kids playing games with sexual content, then they should check the ESRB rating or whatever method available. The parent is mostly at fault for providing that to their kids. 

Around the Network
Shatts said:
Jaicee said:

First of all, thanks for taking the time to share your opinion at-length. There's a lot to respond to there and a lot that seems incoherent to me, and honestly I just don't have the have the energy to go through this in an itemized way, but I do get and want to respond to the crux of your argument, which is that "games and entertainment in general needs to be free from politics". It's an old argument you won't be surprised to learn that I've seen many times before. It just strikes me as naive. You cite "games like GTA" as examples of what a games "free from politics" look like. Frankly, I don't understand how anyone can play through a game like Grand Theft Auto V, for instance, and conclude that no political statements were made therein; that no social commentary has been offered. And the reality of the matter is that this includes some pretty definite gender politics too, not just rather blatant statements about public policy. There is a worldview being advanced here, both wittingly and perhaps sometimes otherwise.

Not seeing the demographic politics in games (or other media) is a luxury that I haven't enjoyed. It's a luxury that stems from a sense of entitlement begotten by a long history of self-reinforcing special treatment. For example, you go on to complain about the fact that Ariel is black in Disney's new live-action version of The Little Mermaid and don't see how you've just contradicted your case by insisting that she should be white instead because it's just natural or traditional  or something for a fictional mermaid to have white skin or because the Little Mermaid fan base supposedly skews overwhelmingly white and objects to the change (which is an assessment perhaps contradicted by the opening-weekend surveys of its audience). Yes, the decision to cast Ariel as non-white this time around was likely a deliberate one. The reasons why one would object are no less political though; they are just differently political. And I think I've got more respect for the motivations behind that casting here than I do for the sorts of ugly reasons why you'd object.

What your case ultimately boils down to is the same circular argument that I've been seeing since back in the days when these gender-role debates between mostly male and mostly female gamers would play out in the letters pages of gaming magazines instead of online because nobody had the internet. Namely, the "winning" contention that games have to broadly be sexist because most creators and consumers of video games alike are male and no questions can be asked about why that is or whether that lopsidedness a good thing. To ask these questions is to be objectionably political, apparently in contrast to the status quo from which one group of people benefits a whole lot more than others, has seen themselves more favorably reflected, etc. Supposedly, gaming culture exists in a vacuum. Supposedly it is naturally free of politics and only feminist killjoys introduce them. That all is a rather convenient way of looking at these debates. Reality is more complicated than that.

2. I never said mermaids needed to be white did I? I just stated my distaste how Ariel did not look like the character that represented her in the original without any particular reasons other than "inclusion" and "representation" in modern society, from what I've gathered. I would've disliked it if Ariel was blonde for example and I assume most people would be too. Furthermore, it's not just the looks, but the characteristics. I wouldn't like it if the personality changed in a character either. Chris Pratt voicing Mario had a huge negative reaction for the same reasons. Communication is key however. Change is accepted in the community IF there's a logical/reasonable explanation that makes sense to the audience. Like a character turning into an adult, it may still leave fans in distraught but at least it makes sense. 

Are you even vaguely familiar with how Disney works?

The whole concept that Disney was built on was taking fairy tales and other similar types of stories and changing them for no particular reason aside from the fact that they thought it would be more appealing to their audience.

In the original story, Prince Eric winds up with some other girl, and Ariel's tongue is cut out. King Triton is a Greek God with horse legs and a fish tail and has nothing to do with the original story. There were no talking crabs or animals. In the Hunchback of Notre Dame, Esmeralda was kind of a stuck up bitch who barely tolerated quasi modo, Pheobus was a moron, and Esmeralda is killed. They literally reversed the whole message of the story from being "yup the world is shallow" to "be yourself and people will recognize your inner beauty. Disney even rewrites reality itself sometimes. In reality Pocahontas was 12 when John Smith came to America, and she did not talk to Willow Trees. 

We could go on with tons and tons of examples of Disney changing and adapting stories to what they believe their audience wants. And we can give plenty of examples of other companies doing the same, and I have already presented several way more drastic changes. Yet, generally nobody really cares. So, why is Ariel being black especially problematic? Why do these kinds of arguments only come up when race, gender, or sexuality is at issue? 

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 10 June 2023

Shatts said:

First my apologies, I was drunk writing that so it's really messy. I'll try to keep it simple and easy in this response. 

1. I've only played GTA online so that was naive from me to use it as an example. My point was that I wanted games to keep stuff you can't really do in real life. Entertainment is fun because it's filled with imagination, and real life issues only restricts that. To be clear, I think it's fine to have politics in games, like maybe the setting takes place on Earth and there's politics in that universe as well. It's also fine if the game is centered around politics and it's clear, like a visual novel of some sort. However, most games shouldn't be a form of message to real life political issues, cuz more often than not politics are hugely controversial. I'm sure nobody wants a Mario game talking about gun laws or see Call of Duty used as an example for gun law related stuff. After all, games are meant to take a break and "escape" from reality.  

2. I never said mermaids needed to be white did I? I just stated my distaste how Ariel did not look like the character that represented her in the original without any particular reasons other than "inclusion" and "representation" in modern society, from what I've gathered. I would've disliked it if Ariel was blonde for example and I assume most people would be too. Furthermore, it's not just the looks, but the characteristics. I wouldn't like it if the personality changed in a character either. Chris Pratt voicing Mario had a huge negative reaction for the same reasons. Communication is key however. Change is accepted in the community IF there's a logical/reasonable explanation that makes sense to the audience. Like a character turning into an adult, it may still leave fans in distraught but at least it makes sense. 

3. All of this is difficult. I never implied that games are meant for boys because majority of creators and consumers were boys. I meant it as, it's natural that boys would make games for boys as they know what they want. Since majority interested in game creation were boys, it makes sense that content were "male oriented". Anyways there's no such thing as complete freedom. Just because games can express someone's thoughts doesn't mean it should. There is a line of common sense as to what is okay and what isn't usually decided by majority rules. Anita's claims tried to change that line on how much is acceptable and people didn't like it. It would be much less controversial if her stance was simply "I want different types of female characters in future games", but the narrative was more like blaming existing games and developers for the lack of intentions to. Hence restricting creator's freedom of choice making it seem like they needed to take those into consideration, or they're sexist. It doesn't cross the "line" if the game doesn't explicitly convey discrimination, but looks like to me Anita and her followers thought the tropes mentioned were. Although she probably played a role in the future of gaming, it was bound to come as society change and video games became more mainstream. Her claim would be far more valuable if she had claimed the gaming industry was preventing female characters or female devs to succeed (as there are probably lots examples like Activision Blizzard) but that wasn't the case. There were plenty of dependable female characters and main characters even at that time so her narrative was almost out of place. It was just a selfish request to push her opinion and poor narrative that gaming is sexist. Her intentions could be seemed like she wanted to restrict the gaming industry to how she wanted even if that wasn't the case, which cycles back to my statement on how the way things are presented is very important. To conclude, it's obvious that there needs to be a balance of both restriction and freedom. I value freedom as I want games to be imaginative as much as possible. Instead of changing what already exists, make a change with something new. 

Lol! Well it was well-written by the metric of drunkenness then. I appreciate the greater clarity of this response. Still, I think we're just going to have to disagree on your first two points. While I think we all need and value our shallow escapes every now and again (myself certainly included) and while I think we can agree that changing things just for the sake of doing so isn't always a good thing since it can lead to "fixing" a lot of mechanics and such that aren't broken, at the same time my choice of avatar here ought to make it obvious that I value games for much more than empty escapism and see no reason why games, as any other art form, shouldn't push boundaries or challenge preconceptions or take commercial risks. Reliance on tropes to me is a lazy alternative to crafting believable, dynamic, interesting characters and creative stories. In that sense, there are more than just moral reasons why sexist (and other) stereotypes in our media landscape deserve to be challenged.

Concerning your final point, you're right: there's no such thing as complete freedom. But I also really feel that your speculations on Anita Sarkeesian's motives for creating the Tropes vs. Women in Video Games web video series are just that and nothing more. You keep using the term "force" to describe criticism. There is an innate difference between the two things that I don't think you're appreciating.

Should Anita have made a video series about the kind of toxic climate that female gamers and developers often face instead? *shrugs* I feel like that work has been done and continues to be done by others. The purpose of Feminist Frequency was to examine the media landscape itself and I feel like she did plenty in the way of bringing attention to the harassment of women in gaming in the process. The Tropes series is a one-of-a-kind project that has no true equivalent and that's the legacy I wanted to honor with this thread.

To be sure, in case there's any confusion about this, I am not infected with the woke mind virus. Too much political correctness can get people killed. So can too little though.

SvennoJ said:

Great write-up, very informative. Games are indeed slowly changing, gamers are not though. This article popped up recently with depressing statistics https://www.eurogamer.net/one-in-10-female-gamers-feel-suicidal-about-the-abuse-they-receive-playing-online Plus there is the frequent outrage over 'too much inclusivity' in games nowadays.

But as long as you play offline and ignore the nonsense outrage over for example a video game kiss, things are getting better. There's still a long road ahead to actually make games all inclusive, and an even longer road to make online gaming a safe and positive experience. But at least there are plenty indies to enjoy in the mean time. Great list, I enjoyed many of those as well. Papo and Yo left the biggest impression on me from that list, brave and very clever way to tell a personal story.

Thanks so much!

I'm encouraged by the positive reception this thread had gotten. I've been crafting it for a little over a year now and, as you can see here, the version I finally landed on wasn't as sweeping as my original vision for the OP, which was to include a more comprehensive discussion of the entire history of Feminist Frequency as a site/organization and an overview of each individual video in the Tropes series. That just got kind of unwieldy and became too overwhelming a goal, so I wound up streamlining it more before pitching it to a few friends and a separate audience for final tweaks (which I'm glad I did). The final draft still wasn't exactly short. At least it's digestible though. That wound up being an objective in and of itself.

The single biggest reason I joined VGC six years ago was because of persistent harassment elsewhere over just this sort of topic, to which end I was honestly kind of scared to post it and wanted to make sure it was worded as perfectly as possible and thoroughly sourced. Had really just hoped that enough time had passed...that enough water had passed under the bridge that a healthy and productive conversation could now be had and I'm so glad that that's proven to be the case!

And yet the statistics you share are just so disheartening. I haven't even perceived the improvements in representation of women in this medium as slow. To me, the difference in that regard between ten years ago and today (which doesn't feel like that long anymore when you're 41 ) is night and day. I sense a corresponding difference in the culture of gaming-oriented spaces like online gaming forums too. And yet when I look at stats like those you share here, I am reminded that venues like Twitch exist and that there is still clearly work to be done. Thanks for sharing.

(And I agree with you on the power of Papo & Yo!)

Last edited by Jaicee - on 10 June 2023

Your post is mainstream website article level quality. Have you considered pitching it?

As a note, I enjoyed A Case of Distrust.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Shatts said:
Chrkeller said:

I tend to agree with Anita. As a parent of young kids too many games are just too blatantly overly sexual. I do think it has gotten better.

No offense, but that's just a common argument towards poor parenting. That only makes sense if games were exclusively meant for kids, or lots of games rated towards kids had sexual content. If the parent doesn't want kids playing games with sexual content, then they should check the ESRB rating or whatever method available. The parent is mostly at fault for providing that to their kids. 

No offense taken but I feel you missed my point.  10 years ago there was a limited amount of quality games that also were kid friendly.  That has gotten better.  Meaning I never exposed my kids to inappropriate content but I am thankful my kids are getting a better selection of games.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

JWeinCom said:
Shatts said:

Are you even vaguely familiar with how Disney works?

The whole concept that Disney was built on was taking fairy tales and other similar types of stories and changing them for no particular reason aside from the fact that they thought it would be more appealing to their audience.

In the original story, Prince Eric winds up with some other girl, and Ariel's tongue is cut out. King Triton is a Greek God with horse legs and a fish tail and has nothing to do with the original story. There were no talking crabs or animals. In the Hunchback of Notre Dame, Esmeralda was kind of a stuck up bitch who barely tolerated quasi modo, Pheobus was a moron, and Esmeralda is killed. Rapunzel never had magical healing powers in any version of the fairytale. In reality Pocahontas was 12 when John Smith came to America, and she did not talk to Willow Trees. 

We could go on with tons and tons of examples of Disney changing and adapting stories to what they believe their audience wants. And we can give plenty of examples of other companies doing the same, and I have already presented several way more drastic changes. Yet, generally these types of changes don't elicit much anger. So, why is Ariel being black especially problematic? 

There are multiple reasons. One I already explained multiple times, whether the change makes sense or not. It makes sense for Disney to adapt existing fairy tales and changing the plot for entertainment purposes like to kids. The character "Ariel" is based off of the original story and Disney made it a character. It doesn't make sense to change the appearance of a character that already exists. Disney's "The Little Mermaid" is copyrighted whereas Anderson's is a public domain. One of the reasons for copyright is to protect the image and sell on that image. Idols and celebrities are perfect examples of selling an image, they create an image and people become fans because they like it. The recent film is a "remake" of the original. If Disney really wanted to make a different looking mermaid, the least they should have done is separate them with Ariel. In fact just make one with no connection to "The Little Mermaid" because it's described as white in the original as well, and people are going to complain regardless. I said this in my other comment, this isn't just about appearance but characteristics. People will argue if the way they talk is different, their voice, their unique traits like exaggerated gestures. Why are people mad with most adaptations? Because it doesn't share the same vibe with the original. Sometimes change is okay with the fans, sometimes it's not. That kind of understanding naturally develops within the community. Let's think what the purpose of changing Ariel black was. It's for inclusion, representation, but they are also taking away the representation of a red hair white female main character. It seems like some people in modern society are biased towards "minorities" doing whatever they want for the sake of representation, but red haired white people could also be considered as a minority. Would people want to hear that Michael Jordan is now considered Asian for Asian representation in the NBA? I'm sure people would be pissed. Fictional characters are no different if it's already established. 

It's not an easy answer, reality is that sometimes there's multiple answers, sometimes none. It's not just a yes or no, but in this case it does feel a little forced resulting in angry people. Tbf there will always be angry people no matter what, but there were lots this time around and for understandable reasons. I personally think this is an  example of crossing the "line" I talked about earlier. 

Last edited by Shatts - on 10 June 2023

Chrkeller said:
Shatts said:

No offense taken but I feel you missed my point.  10 years ago there was a limited amount of quality games that also were kid friendly.  That has gotten better.  Meaning I never exposed my kids to inappropriate content but I am thankful my kids are getting a better selection of games.

What are you talking about. There were plenty of quality games that were kid friendly. In fact 10 years ago was when mobile games already took off like Angry Birds. Nintendo obviously exists as well. Is Wii sports not good enough? There's still sexual content to this day and game selection hasn't really changed in favor of kid friendly content so what's gotten better? Not tryna be aggressive but I didn't understand your point.  

Shatts said:
Chrkeller said:

What are you talking about. There were plenty of quality games that were kid friendly. In fact 10 years ago was when mobile games already took off like Angry Birds. Nintendo obviously exists as well. Is Wii sports not good enough? There's still sexual content to this day and game selection hasn't really changed in favor of kid friendly content so what's gotten better? Not tryna be aggressive but I didn't understand your point.  

As a parent of kids who love games they don't want to play Angry Birds.  They want high quality AAA games.  My kids are young but have beaten games like Breath, Tears, Hogwarts, Bugsnax, etc.  I'm not talking about cheap mobile games, I'm talking about high quality big budget games.  The selection, for a younger audience, has gotten better over the years.

Of course stuff like Dead Space and Bayonetta still exist, as they should.  But the selection has gotten wider in diversity, which is also good.

Spiderman on the ps4 is another good example.  It appeals to a wide range of ages.  They could have overtly sexualized Mary Jane but didn't.  In fact you get to play as her.  Excellent game that I enjoyed as an adult but my kids could also play.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 10 June 2023

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
Shatts said:

As a parent of kids who love games they don't want to play Angry Birds.  They want high quality AAA games.  My kids are young but have beaten games like Breath, Tears, Hogwarts, Bugsnax, etc.  I'm not talking about cheap mobile games, I'm talking about high quality big budget games.  The selection, for a younger audience, has gotten better over the years.

Of course stuff like Dead Space and Bayonetta still exist, as they should.  But the selection has gotten wider in diversity, which is also good.

Hmmm I see. There are still plenty of quality games that aren't AAA titles, but I won't judge here. Games had increased in variety when the Wii/DS took off. I would argue there were already plenty of varieties in video games 10 years ago and in fact it hasn't really changed these past couple of years. Maybe more open worlds? It really depends what you decide what's not kid friendly and what the kid decides it's good enough quality. Some parents consider violence like shooting okay but not sexual content.