By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - GOW: Ragnarok really needs to get rid of that tired level design.

the-pi-guy said:

When I was working on the platinum, I definitely felt this in the main part of Vanaheim. 

It was extremely painful to get around, especially because the map wasn't helpful.  There are some paths that overlap, but are apparently inaccessible from each other (unless I missed where to go.) There were like 3 times when I was following the icons to get somewhere, only to find that there was no path to get there. 

Vanaheim was the only place I really felt it, most of the other maps are small enough or straight forward enough. But that one section in Vanaheim was just garbage.  

Spoiler!
The other part of Vanaheim was a huge improvement in this regard...

Happened to me it drove me crazy lol. it does become annoying because sometimes i just wanna go somewhere with out thinking but it just doesn't let  you with out  throwing a puzzle or a maze like design. hopefully the next game can more streamlined with out going through so many tight spaces that slow down the game.

Around the Network

It took me a long time to get into the game, then left it when I had to play as Atreus again. Exploration was fine, the map is just plain bad though. You can't zoom in far enough plus it's often confusing. Level design itself was great, at least the new areas. I didn't really care about revisiting stuff from the 2018 game. (which was better imo, loved the way it opened up more of the map as the water level receded)

I guess it was still a cross gen game? Traversal between realms was pretty slow, although more likely due to having to wait for the characters to stop talking before the door spawns. Why can't it be like Ratchet and Clank, instant, instead of the fake walk (just stand and wait for the door to appear). I guess most of the slow walks / tight spaces are hiding loading screens.

Loved the dynamic between Freya and Kratos, yet Atreus ugh. Kids ruin everything lol.

SvennoJ said:

It took me a long time to get into the game, then left it when I had to play as Atreus again. Exploration was fine, the map is just plain bad though. You can't zoom in far enough plus it's often confusing. Level design itself was great, at least the new areas. I didn't really care about revisiting stuff from the 2018 game. (which was better imo, loved the way it opened up more of the map as the water level receded)

I guess it was still a cross gen game? Traversal between realms was pretty slow, although more likely due to having to wait for the characters to stop talking before the door spawns. Why can't it be like Ratchet and Clank, instant, instead of the fake walk (just stand and wait for the door to appear). I guess most of the slow walks / tight spaces are hiding loading screens.

Loved the dynamic between Freya and Kratos, yet Atreus ugh. Kids ruin everything lol.

i want a darker tone in the next game to much softy stuff for a game with the GOW

zeldaring said:

i want a darker tone in the next game to much softy stuff for a game with the GOW

I don't mind the softy stuff, just done with father-son games. I play games to escape from rl, not to continue parenting in game lol. Hence I enjoyed Tlou2 much more. It's both darker and gets rid of the 'parent' early on :) Plus Ellie is a lot more mature than Atreus.

I loved the semi linear, open world, level design for Ragnarok, but I didn't enjoy how you traversed through it.

It wasn't terrible by any means, but compared to other Sony titles like Returnal, SpiderMan & Rift Apart, it felt like a step down.

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:

I loved the semi linear, open world, level design for Ragnarok, but I didn't enjoy how you traversed through it.

It wasn't terrible by any means, but compared to other Sony titles like Returnal, SpiderMan & Rift Apart, it felt like a step down.

yup getting from A to B. It feels like you just have to jump through too many hoops/over too many barriers just to get somewhere. That’s ok in isolation but it seems to be the only trick the game has with way to many puzzles thrown in. It’s not really anything other than just bloating out your journey.  I want to move forward. I have to go sideways to move forward and there a checklist of things in every area I have to (or feel like) collect.