By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy 16 - Hands-on previews (update; Demo reactions)

I love deaths in stories, trust me about that, but Nomura did the right thing : he stopped the team to kill everyone except Cloud and two other members lol.

Last edited by -Adonis- - on 23 May 2023

Around the Network
-Adonis- said:

I love deaths in stories, trust me about that, but Nomura did the right thing : he stopped the team to kill everyone except Cloud and two other members lol.

This all depends on the context of the death, whether it helps motivations of characters, what it sounds like is Nomura stopped needless deaths of characters. Aeris' death had a point, the rest did not.

However, the same can't be said to all those characters who for some reason are still alive in the KH series. Basically I spent KH1 and 2, BBS and DDD defeating all those enemies just for them to be "We back and now in greater numbers." in KH3.

Add a new villain, come on Nomura, and dress them in something that isn't a black cloak... get over them, they aren't cool.

Hmm, pie.

I feel like Cait (as in, no second robot after the temple) and maybe Cid could have died and that would have been a satisfying conclusion. The others, not so much.

A lot of characters will probably die in XVI, though.

haxxiy said:
JuliusHackebeil said:

And I don't even know if I can trust many reviewers on FF. Because I also agree with Leynos that FF13 and FF15 deserved far worse reviews than what they got. Is it nostalgia? Are reviewers giving FF a pass because of misplaced sentimentality? 14 got wrecked though. So I really don't get it.

Between FF7 and FF10 there were only 4 years. And they managed to put out 4 FFs with some of the best video game stories ever told and some of the most iconic, beautiful art and the most inventive fantasy elements ever. In just 4, 5 years. And than they take 22 years to create the next 4 mainline single player FF games. And up to 16 everything was filled with plotholes, lame, flat uninteresting characters, boring, illogical stories, and writing so bad as if Kojima played them like a fiddle. Dies not bode well for 16. But I heard good things frim FF14. So who knows.

Maybe people just liked them more than you did? That being said, I'm sure the reviews would have been lower today for XIII...

Now, Yoshi-P is behind XIV (widely considered the best ongoing MMORPG) and this, so it should be very unlike most of these games played except perhaps for XII. And if XVI it's very successful that hopefully means Nomura & Co. will be forever shoved aside to just do KH and the VII trilogy.

I get your point: different folks, different strokes. But man, 15s story, so thin that I am hesitant to even call it that, barely made any sense. I vividly remember a mainquest from 15, arriving in some sort of Venice, the most boring and cumbersome town to navigate ever (not the real thing, but the town in the game) and having to search for a wedding dress. What is even that? Or the crew having to figure out where Titan could be, while Noctis has visions of a 200 meter tall crystall in the middle of the map, towering over everything. And since they cannot make sense of these subtle hints, they employ their arch nemesis to go on a joy ride with them to show them the way to the big, glowing plotmaker. So that they can get Titan. So that they have a better chance to go to Nifelheim. So that they can kill the guy they are on a cruise with. So stupid. All of it.

I don't remember 13 that clearly, but it was also a shit story and a shit plot. To me, yes. But most people would agree I think, that 13s and 15s story were a far cry from 7, 9 or 10. And I also have to agree with another user and say: I do play FF mostly for the story and the world. So when that is not alright, it is already doomed to be a disappointment.

JuliusHackebeil said:

haxxiy said:

I get your point: different folks, different strokes. But man, 15s story, so thin that I am hesitant to even call it that, barely made any sense. I vividly remember a mainquest from 15, arriving in some sort of Venice, the most boring and cumbersome town to navigate ever (not the real thing, but the town in the game) and having to search for a wedding dress. What is even that? Or the crew having to figure out where Titan could be, while Noctis has visions of a 200 meter tall crystall in the middle of the map, towering over everything. And since they cannot make sense of these subtle hints, they employ their arch nemesis to go on a joy ride with them to show them the way to the big, glowing plotmaker. So that they can get Titan. So that they have a better chance to go to Nifelheim. So that they can kill the guy they are on a cruise with. So stupid. All of it.

That's fair. Unfortunately, Versus XIII was a huge mess in development and Tabata had to salvage what he could while still not delaying the game much. A lot of the early plot especially suffered a lot due to that.

I wish we still had the full DLCs to flesh out the game further but the Royal Edition was decent enough and I feel its Metascore was fair.

Around the Network
gtotheunit91 said:

I just read that the Director of FF16 said there will not be a day one patch…..then why bother going gold 3 months before launch or move up the release date?

https://www.gameinformer.com/exclusive-feature/2023/05/22/a-day-one-patch-for-final-fantasy-16-is-not-currently-planned

There are probably a lot of issues with what you just said.

All the advertising has been mention date X. If they changed that , all that would be wrong. So they would have to update stores, and websites.

Not to mention the problem with pre-orders and stores etc.

Plus they spent those 3 months checking for bugs etc.

Plus it changes who they compete against.

All those problems and more to get what?

You are bound to love Earthbound.

Bandorr said:
gtotheunit91 said:

I just read that the Director of FF16 said there will not be a day one patch…..then why bother going gold 3 months before launch or move up the release date?

https://www.gameinformer.com/exclusive-feature/2023/05/22/a-day-one-patch-for-final-fantasy-16-is-not-currently-planned

All the advertising has been mention date X. If they changed that , all that would be wrong. So they would have to update stores, and websites.

I mean, Nintendo was able to do it with Xenoblade Chronicles 3, which went from a September 2022 release date to end of July 2022 without a hitch, but I get what you mean. Plus, FF16 will be a much bigger game than XC3.

JuliusHackebeil said:
haxxiy said:

Maybe people just liked them more than you did? That being said, I'm sure the reviews would have been lower today for XIII...

Now, Yoshi-P is behind XIV (widely considered the best ongoing MMORPG) and this, so it should be very unlike most of these games played except perhaps for XII. And if XVI it's very successful that hopefully means Nomura & Co. will be forever shoved aside to just do KH and the VII trilogy.

I don't remember 13 that clearly, but it was also a shit story and a shit plot. To me, yes. But most people would agree I think, that 13s and 15s story were a far cry from 7, 9 or 10. And I also have to agree with another user and say: I do play FF mostly for the story and the world. So when that is not alright, it is already doomed to be a disappointment.

It's really funny as in the first town you arrive in XV you get the news of the King's demise by newspaper...when they have smartphones. ROFL what? And yeah the wedding dress is one of the dumbest things ever. Watch those trailers from 2015 E3 and before. There is so much they show never in the final game.

They have this big open area in the early hours then put you in a hallway rest of the game and then there was chapter 13. Xenoblade X is a better game. Then again Xenoblade series has been kicking FF's ass in writing and big worlds since the series' inception.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

gtotheunit91 said:
Bandorr said:

I mean, Nintendo was able to do it with Xenoblade Chronicles 3, which went from a September 2022 release date to end of July 2022 without a hitch, but I get what you mean. Plus, FF16 will be a much bigger game than XC3.

I didn't know that game got moved up. That's interesting I wonder why they moved it.  But yeah FF16 is gigantic, many multiple levels bigger. I'm going to go read about XC3 - thanks!

You are bound to love Earthbound.

gtotheunit91 said:
Bandorr said:

Do you mean bigger in appeal/budget and file size then yeah no doubt. The land mass in the game I dunno yet since none of us played but XB3's areas are massive.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!