By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Did Microsoft make big a mistake?

lgs20XP said:

The only difference that you sort of showed was that Sony mainly pushes single player narrative games whereas Microsoft's games tend to be multiplayer. Multiplayer gamers are better for long term and monetization. That's why they do better in the long run.

I think you have that reversed now lol. Most of Microsoft's games in development are single-player and Sony has quite a few multiplayer games releasing over the next year. 

Nothing wrong with either or but it's interesting seeing the case start to switch.

Around the Network
lgs20XP said:

The only difference that you sort of showed was that Sony mainly pushes single player narrative games whereas Microsoft's games tend to be multiplayer. Multiplayer gamers are better for long term and monetization. That's why they do better in the long run.

But.. that doesn't contradict my initial point in the slightest.. I mean, you can pick whatever reason makes you feel more comfortable, but at the end of the day, A LOT more people are playing those Xbox games on PC (and buying them) than Sony's, which brings us back to my original conundrum, why don't these people feel the need to get an xbox if they love these "games that are better for long term and monetization" so much?

Now, since you brought up the "single player vs multiplayer" angle, let's take a look at a little chart that shows us that that is not quite the case:

See? so it is not a matter of "single player vs multiplayer". PC gamers just don't seem to be that much interested in those games from Sony; which leaves us with two possibilities, either a) Sony games don't have nearly as much pull as the internet claims, or b) people who want to play those games from Sony simply buy a Playstation to do so.

Going to chime in here with the "people on PC aren't interested in those games from Sony", I'm interested in those games from Sony, but I am however not interested in those games when:

• The PC port takes 5+ years to come out.
  • The PC port has a stupidly high price.
  • The PC port has bugs/glitches/looks worse than the PS5 version.
  • The CEO stating that "PC users will have to wait, because we want you to buy out console".

Points like that do put me off wanting those ports on PC, because it becomes clear that they do not care about what people like me want on PC.

MS on the other hand took years to finally try making amends with the platform and now does day and date, sometimes even PC first (like with Age of Empires, a PC staple RTS), and that in turn has me more likely wanting to buy from them sooner, or within the year, and they also try their best when it comes to PC versions, and their CEO isn't peddling "pls buy our console first and wait for PC ports later", mantra, that Sony's CEO did some time ago.

People will buy more of those Sony games on PC if they are treated better, priced better and run better out the gate, instead of taking 5+ years, only to give you a less than stellar product, with a jacked up price (Companies that act like the passage of time should not affect their pricing are arrogant beyond measure, and need to adhere to the laws of time and value that changes with time itself).

I bought Age of Empires II HD when it first came out, because I trusted MS and they delivered. When it came to Sony, I waited a year and a half after HZD released on PC, and the same for Days Gone, because those 2 ports had issues, and high pricing, so I waited to grab both for the price of one AAA game (£50).

If Sony wants me to buy more of their games on PC, they need to start adopting what MS does, not 5 years from now either.

Last edited by Chazore - on 26 August 2023

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I have no clue. But maybe it's because Microsoft had a strong presence on PC way before they ever decided to jump into consoles? Maybe there's a market there, or less stigma?

chakkra said:
lgs20XP said:

But.. that doesn't contradict my initial point in the slightest.. I mean, you can pick whatever reason makes you feel more comfortable, but at the end of the day, A LOT more people are playing those Xbox games on PC (and buying them) than Sony's, which brings us back to my original conundrum, why don't these people feel the need to get an xbox if they love these "games that are better for long term and monetization" so much?

Now, since you brought up the "single player vs multiplayer" angle, let's take a look at a little chart that shows us that that is not quite the case:

See? so it is not a matter of "single player vs multiplayer". PC gamers just don't seem to be that much interested in those games from Sony; which leaves us with two possibilities, either a) Sony games don't have nearly as much pull as the internet claims, or b) people who want to play those games from Sony simply buy a Playstation to do so.

It's not they aren't interested, its the fact that by time they hit Steam they're almost 2 years old. And even with that chart that you showed every game you have there that isn't Sony also came out brand new.

But I do agree with you that most Sony gamers rather play on playstation. But then again, Playstation gets the games almost 2 years ahead of the personal computer audience so there's that.