By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The untold story of Sony's official mascot character (like Mario or Sonic) - Toro Inoue

Yes it's true; there is an official PlayStation mascot character.  He is a cat called Toro Inoue, but he is only ever used in Japan.  This video I made covers his complete history with a look at every single game across all PlayStation generations (including the PocketStation!), all recorded using real PlayStation hardware.

I guess this story never gets told in the west because of the Japanese language barrier, but don't worry I'll be translating as I go.

Please have a watch as it took a long time to create this and I'm proud of how it turned out.

Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.

Around the Network

Toro Inoue, the Sony Cat. It makes me remember Doshin the Giant.

Don't forget Polygon man! I have liked Toro for a while. I first discovered him when PocketStation was announced in the late 90s. btw yes I do have a PocketStation. I also used that PSVita app with Toro for a time.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I really wish Toro was way more of a thing internationally.
PlayStation really needs a consistent mascot. Mario is Mr. Video Game himself, and the icon of Nintendo. Sonic for Sega, Master Chief for Xbox, and so on,
If Toro wasn't the mascot internationally, there are a few other good choices. Kratos, Sackboy, Ratchet & Clank, or Astro. Nathan Drake comes to mind as well, but there hasn't been a new Uncharted game since 4 in 2016 and Lost Legacy in 2017. The collection of those two on PS5 is just a remaster.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:

PlayStation really needs a consistent mascot. Mario is Mr. Video Game himself, and the icon of Nintendo. Sonic for Sega, Master Chief for Xbox, and so on,
If Toro wasn't the mascot internationally, there are a few other good choices. Kratos, Sackboy, Ratchet & Clank, or Astro. Nathan Drake comes to mind as well, but there hasn't been a new Uncharted game since 4 in 2016 and Lost Legacy in 2017. The collection of those two on PS5 is just a remaster.

I always thought it would have been Crash Bandicoot.  Naughty Dog abandoned him in favor of Jak and Daxter which they abandoned in favor of Uncharted which they abandoned in favor of Last of Us...

That's kind of the problem with Sony and the possibility of a mascot.  They never do the work to ensure their longevity.  Of course, I don't think Sony really cares.  In many ways I think they are proud of the work they have accomplished without relying on a mascot or IP.  They let their IPs do the talking.  But that does leave a few fans left wanting more, myself included.  What I wouldn't get to see a new AAA Jak and Daxter created by Naughty Dog.

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:
Wman1996 said:

I always thought it would have been Crash Bandicoot.  Naughty Dog abandoned him in favor of Jak and Daxter which they abandoned in favor of Uncharted which they abandoned in favor of Last of Us...

That's kind of the problem with Sony and the possibility of a mascot.  They never do the work to ensure their longevity.  Of course, I don't think Sony really cares.  In many ways I think they are proud of the work they have accomplished without relying on a mascot or IP.  They let their IPs do the talking.  But that does leave a few fans left wanting more, myself included.  What I wouldn't get to see a new AAA Jak and Daxter created by Naughty Dog.

TBF I think Sony proved you don't necessarily need a mascot anymore. MS wanted Blinx to be their mascot and Malice, does anyone remember Malice? By that era, the need for one just kinda evaporated. Genesis/SNES kids were now in their 20s So they were into GTA and Halo than Sonic. I love mascots for consoles myself. Gave them more personality and identity. TG16 having Bonk was cool as well as those games are weird but fun. Sonic was the coolest thing ever. Mario World same year as Sonic and had Saturday Morning Cartoons for them so there is nostalgia for me.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Banned for spamming the same post on the forums - TrunksWD

Last edited by trunkswd - on 29 November 2023