By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - March NPD (Circana) 2023 Thread + Predictions

Hardware spending went up by only 10%. We can extrapolate from this and other data that Xbox and Switch declined considerably, because PS5 which set a new Playstation March record is by far the most expensive platform and gone up by about 2.3 times YoY.

Around the Network
Zippy6 said:

If we use the same ratio of Digital to Disk version of PS5 in Japan (13.9% digital) and $400/$500 for each model respectively then the average sale price would be $486 and 620k units would come to $301 Million.

Total - $566 Million
PS5 - $301 Million
Switch + Xbox Series - $265 Million

With the potential inclusion of higher priced bundles and higher than 620k sales it could be even higher than $301 million for PS5 and it's pretty clear PS5 absolutely dominated this month.

They sold a ton of Ragnarok bundles for the month, but they also pushed more PS5DE's than ever before. PS5DE was available on Amazon US for almost an entire week and outplaced the other SKU's (individually), so maybe it evens out.

Zippy6 said:

If we use the same ratio of Digital to Disk version of PS5 in Japan (13.9% digital) and $400/$500 for each model respectively then the average sale price would be $486 and 620k units would come to $301 Million.

Total - $566 Million
PS5 - $301 Million

With the potential inclusion of higher priced bundles and higher than 620k sales it could be even higher than $301 million for PS5 and it's pretty clear PS5 absolutely dominated this month.

Don't forget the God of War bundle which is $560 and $460. That increases the average selling price of the PS5. Either way we are talking PS5 a decent amount above the 620K figure.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Kyuu said:

Hardware spending went up by only 10%. We can extrapolate from this and other data that Xbox and Switch declined considerably, because PS5 which set a new Playstation March record is by far the most expensive platform and gone up by about 2.3 times YoY.

Spending - $515 Million
PS5 - 280k ($136 Million?) ($486 average sale price)
Xbox Series + Switch = $379 Million?

Spending $566 Million
PS5 - 620k ($301 Million?) ($486 average sale price)
Xbox Series + Switch = $265 Million?

My hypothetical numbers which would be a 30% decline in revenue for Xbox+Switch combined. If anything the spending for PS5 in 2023 is higher meaning a greater than 30% decline for the other platforms.

trunkswd said:
Zippy6 said:

Total - $566 Million
PS5 - $301 Million

Don't forget the God of War bundle which is $560 and $460. That increases the average selling price of the PS5. Either way we are talking PS5 a decent amount above the 620K figure.

Last week of March they discounted the God of War disc bundle to $510, but yes still higher than the standard $500 so driving average sale price up higher.

Around the Network

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.shacknews.com/article/133989/sony-fy2022-ps5-sales-guidance-19-million%3famphtml=1

the new forecast is 6 million

jvmkdg said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.shacknews.com/article/133989/sony-fy2022-ps5-sales-guidance-19-million%3famphtml=1

the new forecast is 6 million

That's not new. That was a few months ago.

The 56m PS5+XBS mark has been passed. Congratulations to all.

PS5 doing amazing after so much pent up demand but man Xbox Series being down this much is rough. It's not doing worse than the Xbox One so it's not truly terrible but if this keeps up it's only gonna do somewhat better than that did long term which isn't good considering how the Xbox One did.

Norion said:

PS5 doing amazing after so much pent up demand but man Xbox Series being down this much is rough. It's not doing worse than the Xbox One so it's not truly terrible but if this keeps up it's only gonna do somewhat better than that did long term which isn't good considering how the Xbox One did.

With how good sales were a year ago for Xbox Series X|S I was thinking it could have done 70M-80M lifetime. With how sales are right now I see it more like 60M-70M. Starfield (And having decent Xbox Series X stock) will be the true test to how much a big AAA game can come for Xbox that isn't Halo, Gears, or Forza.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.