By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Saudi Arabia Is Investing $38 Billion to Become a Video-Game Hub

Good news, I think this will make the industry even more ethical, pro-consumer, and daring!

Around the Network

Not sure why people did not see this coming. When their is big money to be gain, big money starts to show up. The gaming industry is by far outpacing everything when you include mobile and all the big money players want a piece.

I actually support this initiative, I don't like the regime at all but they have not much options if they want to untie themselves from oil. It also have the added benefits of promoting education with emphasis on logics rather then beliefs and this country certainly need this.
Just hope they understand they could never be successful on the world scenes with censure and propaganda driven titles.

Machiavellian said:

Not sure why people did not see this coming. When their is big money to be gain, big money starts to show up. The gaming industry is by far outpacing everything when you include mobile and all the big money players want a piece.

I think lots of people saw it coming. Regimes have been purchasing western legitimacy and ways into markets and marketing by buying sport teams etc. for a long time. Western companies also do this, it's a common way of gaining traction with an expanded audience and potentially a really sound investment. Qatari interests are looking to buy Manchester United, for instance. And Saudi owners already stand behind Manchester City and Newcastle.

The gaming industry is beyond massive, I think it doubled in revenue from 2015 to 2022. The most interesting tidbit for me is that there seems to be an increase in revenue per user/capita, more so than actual expansion of user bases. I think making people spend smaller sums more often is key to this, especially in the mobile sector (which is the biggest by far). So, yeah, it's a solid strategy from these investors, but I doubt that it will benefit us, or the people (well; certain people) of Saudi-Arabia much at all.

As long as they don't have Nintendo, Capcom or EA games censored I don't really mind. All else we can do is hope that this somehow leads to Saudi Arabia becoming actually livable.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
Machiavellian said:

And Saudi owners already stand behind Manchester City and Newcastle.

UAE owners, not Saudi.

It would be also nice if the new games could show how wonderful Saudi Arabia is, how much freedom and rights people have there, especially women, foreign workers, dissidents, and LGBTQ+ individuals. I’m looking forward to playing some of the amazing upcoming titles, such as The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the oil dessert, Super Mullahrio Arabia - "It's a-me! Achmed! and Kashoggi the adventure game. The mantra in the future will probably be then: "Pray to win".
And Nintendo seems to agree with this wholesome vision because money. How admirable.

Machiavellian said:

Eh, lots of people saw this coming after the Bethesda acquisition. 

I hate how big mobile game companies are never even heard of this company and yet they're worth $5 billion! I was shocked to hear when Zynga was bought $12 billion. Almost double what the entirety of Bethesda is worth!