By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation |OT| Playing Astro Bot on the Horizon Until Dawn

AstroBot and Chris Dring are really upsetting the haters, you love to see it. Its UK launch was "much bigger" than Sonic Frontiers and Crash 4 on all platforms combined. Here's to a long tail!

Around the Network

Hopefully Astro Bot can find success in Japan after that very poor launch, but it's hard to believe as Sony is really trying hard to kill the PS5 there.

BraLoD said:

Hopefully Astro Bot can find success in Japan after that very poor launch, but it's hard to believe as Sony is really trying hard to kill the PS5 there.

PS5's a lost cause in Japan.

Japan's now a PC and Mobile heaven.

Kyuu said:

AstroBot and Chris Dring are really upsetting the haters, you love to see it. Its UK launch was "much bigger" than Sonic Frontiers and Crash 4 on all platforms combined. Here's to a long tail!

It looks like Astro Bot had a strong opening relative to platformers, but some signs are pointing towards it having a stronger second week, which would be incredible.

BasilZero said:
BraLoD said:

PS5's a lost cause in Japan.

Japan's now a PC and Mobile heaven.

yup and this is why Japan shouldn't be given all that attention when talking PS. Helldivers sold like 3k copies there in their opening week and it will end up as one of the best seller of the year, just after the forever games like sports and cod.

Around the Network

Watching people talk about Astro sales is funny and concerning at the same time.

Most of them are only looking excuses to look down on Astro when the game is having strong sales for a game that literally goes against the kind of playerbase PS has these days. This game was never meant to sell 20 millions like GOW or Spider Man (not like Sony doesn't want to lol).

For those fans who are open to new videogame life experiences this year is covered lol.

-Hellviders is a service that took the world by storm but .... already lost 90% of it's active players and even then is a huge success lol.
-Concord is the biggest flop ever.
-Astro is probably going to sell 3-5 million and still be a huge success because it didn't cost what the regular PS Studio game does.
-Horizon Adventures could be the LEGO game with the best score ever (for those who care about that stuff). 83 is the bar lol.

Fun times.

PotentHerbs said:
Kyuu said:

It looks like Astro Bot had a strong opening relative to platformers, but some signs are pointing towards it having a stronger second week, which would be incredible.

I don't expect a stronger 2nd week, just a softer drop than the standard one. Will probably fall behind Rift Apart in the UK which iirc didn't drop at all (physical only) due to bundles.

AstroBot is the kind of game with a strong appeal to younger kids (my 6 and 7 year old nieces who have a Switch and a bunch of Nintendo games are crazy about Astro's Playroom lol I told them about the new game and they can't wait to play it!) so its potential is really hindered by being an exclusive to such an expensive console. I wish Sony considers late-porting to Switch 2.

Last edited by Kyuu - 2 days ago

Kyuu said:
PotentHerbs said:

I don't expect a stronger 2nd week, just a softer drop than the standard one. Will probably fall behind Rift Apart in the UK which iirc didn't drop at all (physical only) due to bundles.

AstroBot is the kind of game with a strong appeal to younger kids (my 6 and 7 year old nieces who have a Switch and a bunch of Nintendo games are crazy about Astro's Playroom lol I told them about the new game and they can't wait to play it!) so its potential is really hindered by being an exclusive to such an expensive console. I wish Sony considers late-porting to Switch 2.

It's cute and awesome to read your experiences with your nieces but it's a little off to talk about the ps5 price when comparing with the Switch.

I love my Switch (I don't have the villager as my avatar just because lol) but we are talking about a 7 year old console with lesser hardware than the ps4 an 11 yo console. I know you are talking about the Switch 2 but people are expecting for it to have a little more than the ps4 so when the time comes it for sure must be cheaper because it will be like a xbox series s in 2025 so when it comes to comparisons price just isn't it. And yes nintendo doesn't need more to sell 30 million Zeldas (and 4 million Pikmin 4) but they don't need it thanks to their playerbase a playerbase that still makes of Pokémon one of if not the most profitable franchise every year (and we know the current state of Pokémon).

So I don't think that Astro Bot is hindered because of the PS5, Astro Bot an all the other PS Studios games aren't just pieces of software that look for sales, their purpose is to also sell consoles in the process and this is a move to try and open more the family market on PS, it isn't the wrong game in the wrong place.

If Astro's potential is hindered by anything is by the player who doesn't understand enjoying "kid games" doesn't make you less of an adult nor means that you can't enjoy your super serious, super realistic stuff.

GymratAmarillo said:
Kyuu said:

It's cute and awesome to read your experiences with your nieces but it's a little off to talk about the ps5 price when comparing with the Switch.

I love my Switch (I don't have the villager as my avatar just because lol) but we are talking about a 7 year old console with lesser hardware than the ps4 an 11 yo console. I know you are talking about the Switch 2 but people are expecting for it to have a little more than the ps4 so when the time comes it for sure must be cheaper because it will be like a xbox series s in 2025 so when it comes to comparisons price just isn't it. And yes nintendo doesn't need more to sell 30 million Zeldas (and 4 million Pikmin 4) but they don't need it thanks to their playerbase a playerbase that still makes of Pokémon one of if not the most profitable franchise every year (and we know the current state of Pokémon).

So I don't think that Astro Bot is hindered because of the PS5, Astro Bot an all the other PS Studios games aren't just pieces of software that look for sales, their purpose is to also sell consoles in the process and this is a move to try and open more the family market on PS, it isn't the wrong game in the wrong place.

If Astro's potential is hindered by anything is by the player who doesn't understand enjoying "kid games" doesn't make you less of an adult nor means that you can't enjoy your super serious, super realistic stuff.

I'm 37 and yet AstroBot is one of the few modern Sony games that interest me. Not saying it's a "kids only" game, it's closer to an "everyone" kind of game with a standout appeal for kids when compared to the standard Sony stuff. Most gamer kids don't have a PS5 and can't afford or justify buying one. They're typically on Nintendo platforms which are more affordable and filled with popular content for "everyone".

Late porting actual system sellers to PC didn't seem to have a notable effect on Playstation software sales. God of War Ragnarok, Horizon 2, Spider-Man 2, and Rift Apart all outpaced their predecessors despite higher prices, fewer deals, and knowledge that they were getting PC ports. 2-3 year exclusivity is enough to retain the vast majority of players.

AstroBot probably won't be a system seller. Smaller games that can't sell many PS5's should be ported as an effort to increase their popularity. Instead of shutting down Japan Studio, Sony should have explored porting their best games to other platforms, because why not?

Even if AstroBot manages to somehow exceed 10 or even 15 million copies sold, I don't think there is much harm in porting it late unless it's an evergreen title.

6 hours into King of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match for PS4

Finished the Arcade Play and doing single play

Omega Rugal is cheap asshole.