By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation |OT| Playing Astro Bot on the Horizon Until Dawn

haxxiy said:
coolbeans said:

Wait just a second!  Speaking as someone who was mixed on it after the open beta, that comparison is unfair to Concord.  MS & Arkane literally had to backpedal over 60fps at launch.

I meant more in terms of sales than quality. This is mediocre, but Redfall was just horrible.

I just looked at the PS Store and Concord was sitting at #62 on the PS Store best sellers list. At least in the US. It's at least doing better on console than it is on PC as the game is currently not even in Steam's top 100 best sellers.

Judging from user reviews, there's a solid, fun game there but.......wrong game at the wrong time. 

Around the Network

I've tried not to dogpile on the game, especially before it was actually out and playable, but I do have to say that I think it has some of the worst character design I've ever seen. I haven't seen a single character so far that I actually want to play as. I think the kindest thing I could say is that at least they're not generic...

haxxiy said:
coolbeans said:

Wait just a second!  Speaking as someone who was mixed on it after the open beta, that comparison is unfair to Concord.  MS & Arkane literally had to backpedal over 60fps at launch.

I meant more in terms of sales than quality. This is mediocre, but Redfall was just horrible.

Fair enough.

The more Gaas that dissipate the better. GotG ripoff characters and Gaas shit to boot almost a decade late. Awful character design. Everything about it's premise and presentation seems by the numbers algorithm and design by the corporate committee. Western devs have become so bad since at least 2016 trying to copy trends of meta/whimsical/self-referential humor and most of the time it's awful. This is no different. "It plays more like Destiny than Overwatch" And? Destiny exists and it's old. It's worn thin by itself. Let alone a need for more. As for Redfall comparisons. This is more of a Bleeding Edge.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Waste of resource and time chasing the "me too valorant/overwatch" live service crap mean while black myth wukong selling 10M brand new single player IP. I wish I could see the look on the suits who pushed for this direction.

Around the Network
NoLimitVito said:

Waste of resource and time chasing the "me too valorant/overwatch" live service crap mean while black myth wukong selling 10M brand new single player IP. I wish I could see the look on the suits who pushed for this direction.

Most of sales of Wukong come from China and while that isn't a bad thing and doesn't take any merit from the sales it shows the patriotism of a country, I respect that but if Wukong was made by a western dev or even Japan the sales would be half of what they are.

Also you couldn't be able to see the look of the person who pushed anything because he is long gone lol, it was Ryan the last CEO but some people think Sony is still in the service push when in reality the push ended last year and they are just releasing what was almost complete.

To be honest I don't really feel in any particular way about Concord failure, what I see is: 

-They didn't make a lot to market the game, in every EVO break you were able to watch a trailer of Astrobot, Concord was there mostly only in finals day.
-Astrobot had a big emphasis at EVO, Chinajoy and will at TGS, Concord didn't.
-They paid for streamers to play the demo but not the game at release date, they did with Helldivers 2.
-In the PS Japan trailer of games for the second half of the year they put Valorant a game that is ultra popular in Japan, Concord wasn't in the trailer.

What I'm trying to say with this is that they knew this game was going to fail so it's not like this is a surprise for them and the new CEOs probably already have a plan in mind.

The good part about this is that Concord is a double confirmation of how dangerous services are and this will help shape the future of the company. Many sites and people on the internet are acting like this is the "new PlayStation" like they didn't know that even before the release of Returnal (2021) the plans of releasing 10+ service was already a thing and the Bungie meltdown finished those plans. The only thing left to do is wait and see what the new administration will do to clean Jim Ryan shitshow.

If it was me I would respect the people who already bought Concord, give the game a year or two, in the meantime make Firewalk help finish Haven game and also help Bungie, you already bought the studio so get some use from it, put Concord on PS Plus vanilla and hope the Lost Levels episode of Concord awakes some interest in the game, once Bungie in completely integrated with SIE (this will happen sooner or later, probably next year) merge Firewalk with Bungie as a new team inside the studio, after all they have said the synergy between Firewalk & Bungie is big (because Firewalk was made with ex Bungie) and in the middle of the merge fire whoever thought Concord designs were good.

Last edited by GymratAmarillo - on 24 August 2024

I don't see what is so bad about Concord that garnered so much hate towards it before launch.
Not my kind of game, so I don't care, but most of the complains I saw was from people with an agenda, very like what happened with TLoU 2 before launch.
The game may be boring, bland, bad, broken, lacking content, I don't know, which points reviews are focusing on?

Concord bombed but the discourse around it is exhausting. I don't remember Entwined or Drawn to Death getting ripped apart and they are much worse games lol. People are rooting for it to fail but will turn around and start criticizing the next publisher that lays off or shuts down a studio. 

Some of you guys need to accept Sony will continue with their live service push. It won't take away from the single player, narrative driven, excellence that Sony has built their brand on. 

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 24 August 2024

PotentHerbs said:

Concord bombed but the discourse around its exhausting. I don't remember Entwined or Drawn to Death getting ripped apart and they are much worse games lol. People are rooting for it to fail but will turn around and start criticizing the next publisher that lays off or shuts down a studio. 

Some of you guys need to accept Sony will continue with their live service push. It won't take away from the single player, narrative driven, excellence that Sony has built their brand on. 

I don't know about that.  For one, I haven't played Drawn to Death yet lol.  But as far as denigrating DtD, I remember the discourse being quite split on its aesthetics and attitude during launch.  David Jaffe still gets daggers thrown his way whenever he's voicing an unpopular opinion.