By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kirby Games for toddlers

My 4-year-old recently played a demo of Kirby and the Forgotten Land in a store.  He loved it, and I'm confident the reason for this is that the game is very easy to play. The enemies don't damage Kirby very much, so you don't have to kill them instantly.  The platforming is simple, the enemies are simple, so a little kid without a lot of video game skill can make progress. In most games, he just dies constantly, which is understandably frustrating.

So, I'm considering buying the game for him.  Before I do that though, I'd like to know if previous Kirby games were also very easy to play.  Can I go back and buy a Wii U game that he will enjoy just as much, but will only cost me half the money?  I have both a Switch and Wii U hooked up, so any game that is available for either of those systems would work for us.  

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts and recommendations for a Kirby game.  I'm not opposed to buying the forgotten land. I'm just curious as to whether there are other Kirby options I should explore. 

Also, if anyone has any other good, toddler friendly games to recommend, I'd be happy to hear those recommendations as well. They need to be very simple though, so that he's not constantly handing me the controller asking me to take out enemies or get the character through a platforming section.  We have all of the current consoles, but bonus points for a game available on Game Pass. 

Last edited by VAMatt - on 09 February 2023

Around the Network

Kirby's Epic Yarn for the Wii is very very child friendly.

Zippy6 said:

Kirby's Epic Yarn for the Wii is very very child friendly.

Thanks. I'll check it out. 

Seconding Kirby Epic Yarn, it's a great way for kids to get familiar with controllers, and it's such a charming game.
Wii generally has a lot of games for kids that are not yet versed with standard gamepads.

Kirby Star Allies is also easy and has co-op.

Around the Network
VAMatt said:

So, I'm considering buying the game for him. Before I do that though, I'd like to know if previous Kirby games were also very easy to play.

Actually when Sakurai made Kirby, his main goal was to make a game that was easy to play, for people who had never played games. To be honest I'm not the guy to ask about this series, but as far as I know, most if not all Kirby games follow that philosophy. But even within that, there are sure to be easier and harder ones, I suppose. As an outsider though, Forgotten Land looks like it's easily one of the best games in the series.

I can't remember which Kirby game it was maybe Epic Yarn where you can't actually die, if you fall off the cliff Kirby just pauses in mid air and returns to the ground. It's still a good game despite being pretty easy. Kirby and the FL is fairly easy to play, some of the bosses can be tough. You can set the game to mellow mode, and make it pretty easy though. My 5 year old loves the game...and so do I!

Epic Yarn makes it impossible to die. The only penalty is you lose a ton of beads if you get hit or fall down a bottomless pit. It can be somewhat tough for completionists because of that, but if you don't care about unlocking everything or seeing the secret levels and just want to get to the end credits it's one of the easiest games ever made.

For the Switch, Star Allies is supposedly very easy as well, even by Kirby standards.

h2ohno said:

Epic Yarn makes it impossible to die. The only penalty is you lose a ton of beads if you get hit or fall down a bottomless pit. It can be somewhat tough for completionists because of that, but if you don't care about unlocking everything or seeing the secret levels and just want to get to the end credits it's one of the easiest games ever made.

For the Switch, Star Allies is supposedly very easy as well, even by Kirby standards.

Perfect.  Easiest game ever made sounds good. 

Yoshi's wooly world is a spiritual successor to Kirby's epic yarn also. Pretty sure it has a mode where you cannot die, or I might be thinking of crafted world.

But those Yoshi games should also be easy for very young players, though may have basic puzzles that need solving.