By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Where do you stand on Microsoft buying Activision/Blizzard?

For or against the acquisition?

For 58 41.43%

Against 54 38.57%

Neutral 28 20.00%

Total:140
SvennoJ said:
zero129 said:

Well when you are using pretty bad takes against one company while ignoring others clearly people are going to point out your bad takes and let you know how your fav company isnt much different.

SvennoJ said:

There's a lot of hypocrisy in the console wars. When 'your' side does crappy stuff on their platform, it's all fine, just business. Or never as bad as a competing business. You can never discuss MS, Sony or Nintendo alone, and if that's not enough, drag Google Amazon and Apple into it as well.

Microsoft still does it with the way they tie Edge further and further into the Windows OS and forcing people to use over encompassing MS accounts to use Windows and their games.

Are you really agreeing with his bad takes here?.

Not 100% nor 0%. But it's impossible to discuss anything since fingers always start pointing in different directions. 
He's right this thread started about Microsoft, but everything gets countered with, but Sony, but Google, but Apple, that's in the past, and so on.

The idea that somehow MS having Acti/Blizz/King is somehow better instead of Sony, Google or Apple is not something I agree with nor really relevant to the question. Just a smokescreen to avoid talking about what the consequences can be.

I can see some parallels between GoG to how CP2077 ended up, and Gamepass and the Halo Infinite mess up. Now grow gamepass further and add a lot more IPs, yeah I'm slightly worried about this acquisition. Personally I don't have much stake in it anyway, Blizzard and Activision have been unwelcome in my house for a long time now. So imo, that 69 billion is better spend elsewhere! But for MS it's a good deal, lot of old stuff to throw on gamepass including new cash cows, while getting an inroad to mobile gaming to spread gamepass there.

Anyway you know how fond I am of subscriptions, mobile gaming and streaming, not at all. MS is heading away from my interests.

Have you read the OP?. He gave people the right to bring other companys into the question. Your taking a bad take from ConservagameR who is using qa case thats around 20 years old to try make his point and failing badly at even doing that but yet he or you it seems dont want to hear about stuff more recent from other companys. If your going to pass judgement on one you might as well pass it on them all your fav company should not be excluded..

And to try say since Halo Inf and CP2077 that wasnt even in a sub service turned out means all games will be half baked is very silly on your behalf and a bad argument to make unless you have prove to show your right something you dont have as many games launch on PS/XB/Nin and Pc platforms thqats not in a sub service and needs patches after the fact to fix them. But where your argument falls very short here is plenty of users of XB gamepass can point out all the games thats on the service that doesnt have the problems you are trying to paint. Really you shouldnt be following bad takes.

Around the Network
zero129 said:

Have you read the OP?. He gave people the right to bring other companys into the question. Your taking a bad take from ConservagameR who is using qa case thats around 20 years old to try make his point and failing badly at even doing that but yet he or you it seems dont want to hear about stuff more recent from other companys. If your going to pass judgement on one you might as well pass it on them all your fav company should not be excluded..

And to try say since Halo Inf and CP2077 that wasnt even in a sub service turned out means all games will be half baked is very silly on your behalf and a bad argument to make unless you have prove to show your right something you dont have as many games launch on PS/XB/Nin and Pc platforms thqats not in a sub service and needs patches after the fact to fix them. But where your argument falls very short here is plenty of users of XB gamepass can point out all the games thats on the service that doesnt have the problems you are trying to paint. Really you shouldnt be following bad takes.

The OP is saying the same, pre-empting exactly what people are doing in this thread "Obviously, the usual counter points since the acquisition has been announced are still being used to justify this have been the same. SONY money hatted timed exclusive, SONY paid third parties to prevent games from making it to the xbox platforms. SONY is doing this and that..... yeah, and I see your point on how this is wrong and shouldn't continue to happen, however, the question becomes;"

how is the solution to objectionable practices is an even bigger objectionable practice?

The OP is asking to discuss the acquisition, not to deviate by blaming other companies.

The parallels between CP2077 and Halo Infinite are not about the sub service. It's about relying on GoG / Gamepass for reputation / cash flow instead of making sure to pump out quality, bug free, complete games on day 1. FH5 didn't launch in a great state either, plenty online problems, I never saw any traffic on the road between races, broken AI. I went back to finish FH4 instead.

And yes most games on gamepass don't have problems since the majority are older already actually finished games, next to 3rd party games that still rely on their reputation by pumping out quality at release. However the whole day one on gamepass has become an excuse for shoddy releases. It's alright, it's 'free' on gamepass. It's early access! At least MS is doing the right thing now with Forza 8, delay until it is finished. (Which Sony should have done with GT7, just saying since that always come up as soon as you mention Forza)

I genuinely consider this deal money laundering more than anything else. I really don't want to get in the weeds of it. As far as the merits of the deal; sure, it makes gamepass better, but I still think its potential to really screw over PS owners is not worth it. Deals like this in the past always had negative consequences to some group of gamers so I'm against it on those grounds. Also, despite being a right winger politically I would prefer more anti-trust action in general across the board gaming and outside gaming. The strict definition of monopolies should be expanded and applied liberally.

SvennoJ said:
zero129 said:

The OP is saying the same, pre-empting exactly what people are doing in this thread "Obviously, the usual counter points since the acquisition has been announced are still being used to justify this have been the same. SONY money hatted timed exclusive, SONY paid third parties to prevent games from making it to the xbox platforms. SONY is doing this and that..... yeah, and I see your point on how this is wrong and shouldn't continue to happen, however, the question becomes;"

how is the solution to objectionable practices is an even bigger objectionable practice?

The OP is asking to discuss the acquisition, not to deviate by blaming other companies.

The parallels between CP2077 and Halo Infinite are not about the sub service. It's about relying on GoG / Gamepass for reputation / cash flow instead of making sure to pump out quality, bug free, complete games on day 1. FH5 didn't launch in a great state either, plenty online problems, I never saw any traffic on the road between races, broken AI. I went back to finish FH4 instead.

And yes most games on gamepass don't have problems since the majority are older already actually finished games, next to 3rd party games that still rely on their reputation by pumping out quality at release. However the whole day one on gamepass has become an excuse for shoddy releases. It's alright, it's 'free' on gamepass. It's early access! At least MS is doing the right thing now with Forza 8, delay until it is finished. (Which Sony should have done with GT7, just saying since that always come up as soon as you mention Forza)

This ^.

SvennoJ said:
zero129 said:

Using Sony and other big tech isn't about blaming them for anything it's about asserting context.

So far I have referred to Sony as being the most vocal complainant to the deal, which it clearly is, and contextualize regulatory bodies findings which the OP invited US to discuss.

I also referred to Sony as being about the sole actor on the losing end of the deal (though not without mitigation), which I don't believe is unfair or a blame of some sort or unjustified by the context of the thread.

I also referred to Sony and every other big tech when substantiating my claim that the behavior MS were tried for are tolerated today and is used by pretty much all said big tech including Sony. This is not blaming Sony this is simply putting the 20 years old court case in context and asserting that I don't believe it is of any relevance to the deal.

If you believe that I or other referred to Sony or any other actor in an unjustified or innaprotiate way, by all mean quote it directly, explain why the reference was unjustified.

Also you say It's about relying on GoG / Gamepass for reputation / cash flow instead of making sure to pump out quality, bug free, complete games on day 1. and However the whole day one on gamepass has become an excuse for shoddy releases. It's alright, it's 'free' on gamepass. It's early access!

I don't understand it to be the case, MS isn't taking quality lightly by using GP reputation as said reputation is dependant on the quality of it content and there's literally no incentive from GP's perspective of rushing a game out, sure mishaps happen but I have played many day 1 title on GP without any major issues.

No games are bug free and completeness is only a matter of point of view. Games like Grounded add new features and content every patch, does that mean the game will never be considered complete or that each and every version can be considered a slightly different complete game? A game like Destiny uses extension through DLC does that mean the game isn't complete at launch or the fact that you have to pay for extension mean it was complete?

All in all, as I understand it, Xbox titles are not handled in any different ways than prior to GP and is certainly not unlike the overall industry. I don't blame anyone here except when the game has been clearly rushed out (GTA trilogy remaster, CP2077) which I don't believe is a major concern with MS and Xbox. Of course, MS isn't perfect either and can get better but the situation isn't problematic overall.

Last edited by EpicRandy - on 29 January 2023

Around the Network
EpicRandy said:

Using Sony and other big tech isn't about blaming them for anything it's about asserting context.

So far I have referred to Sony as being the most vocal complainant to the deal, which it clearly is, and contextualize regulatory bodies findings which the OP invited US to discuss.

I also referred to Sony as being about the sole actor on the losing end of the deal (though not without mitigation), which I don't believe is unfair or a blame of some sort or unjustified by the context of the thread.

I also referred to Sony and every other big tech when substantiating my claim that the behavior MS were tried for are tolerated today and is used by pretty much all said big tech including Sony. This is not blaming Sony this is simply putting the 20 years old court case in context and asserting that I don't believe it is of any relevance to the deal.

If you believe that I or other referred to Sony or any other actor in an unjustified or innaprotiate way, by all mean quote it directly, explain why the reference was unjustified.

Also you say It's about relying on GoG / Gamepass for reputation / cash flow instead of making sure to pump out quality, bug free, complete games on day 1. and However the whole day one on gamepass has become an excuse for shoddy releases. It's alright, it's 'free' on gamepass. It's early access!

I don't understand it to be the case, MS isn't taking quality lightly by using GP reputation as said reputation is dependant on the quality of it content and there's literally no incentive from GP's perspective of rushing a game out, sure mishaps happen but I have played many day 1 title on GP without any major issues.

No games are bug free and completeness is only a matter of point of view. Games like Grounded add new features and content every patch, does that mean the game will never be considered complete or that each and every version can be considered a slightly different complete game? A game like Destiny uses extension through DLC does that mean the game isn't complete at launch or the fact that you have to pay for extension mean it was complete?

All in all, as I understand it, Xbox titles are not handled in any different ways than prior to GP and is certainly not unlike the overall industry. I don't blame anyone here except when the game has been clearly rushed out (GTA trilogy remaster, CP2077) which I don't believe is a major concern with MS and Xbox. Of course, MS isn't perfect either and can get better but the situation problematic overall.

So the answer still is, but others do it too / are just as bad or worse, so it's ok?
I guess that's an answer to how is the solution to objectionable practices is an even bigger objectionable practice?
No solution needed, just keep one upping until there's nothing left to one up with.

All in all, as I understand it, Xbox titles are not handled in any different ways than prior to GP
Where are they though, XBox had more (AAA) games coming out before gamepass...
Also they are much more life service now instead of complete day 1, that's different since GP.
Both last end year's AAA XBox releases have/had problems as I said, not a good track record.

Anyway enough whataboutism, this escalation of buying up bigger and bigger studios / publishers needs to stop. My 'fear' is that if this gets green lit, what's Google/Amazon/Apple/Sony going to gobble up next...

SvennoJ said:
EpicRandy said:

All in all, as I understand it, Xbox titles are not handled in any different ways than prior to GP and is certainly not unlike the overall industry. I don't blame anyone here except when the game has been clearly rushed out (GTA trilogy remaster, CP2077) which I don't believe is a major concern with MS and Xbox. Of course, MS isn't perfect either and can get better but the situation problematic overall.

So the answer still is, but others do it too / are just as bad or worse, so it's ok?
I guess that's an answer to how is the solution to objectionable practices is an even bigger objectionable practice?
No solution needed, just keep one upping until there's nothing left to one up with.

All in all, as I understand it, Xbox titles are not handled in any different ways than prior to GP
Also they are much more life service now instead of complete day 1, that's different since GP.
Both last end year's AAA XBox releases have/had problems as I said, not a good track record.

Anyway enough whataboutism, this escalation of buying up bigger and bigger studios / publishers needs to stop. My 'fear' is that if this gets green lit, what's Google/Amazon/Apple/Sony going to gobble up next...

No, where in my reply do you get this, it is not my point.

It's not my point either, my answer to this specific question is that the question in itself is biased it's a leading question that try to get a specific answer and you can see why that is through my previous thread posts.

Really when? and also handling more /less release does not make handling them differently. 

Games have followed that trend for more than 2 decades now and I don't see how it is related to GamePass at all.

Unless you specify those games an issues it's hard to discuss, High on life for instance had release issue for some but it wasn't related to the quality of the title and were fix pretty quickly hardly noteworthy.

Anyway enough whataboutism, this escalation of buying up bigger and bigger studios / publishers needs to stop.

Well I can agree to that but that's politics, we needs laws that apply to every industry and clear context as to when an acquisition can be greenlit and not. Right now MS is simply playing by the rules set by the current context.

My 'fear' is that if this gets green lit, what's Google/Amazon/Apple/Sony going to gobble up next...

As I said many time, yes this is a valid fear but this deal cannot be blocked because some other actor might do one of it's own afterward, that's not legally valid argument.

SvennoJ said:
EpicRandy said:

I dont care if i get banned for this but your making yourself sound like a Fan ya know. No where did anyone say 1 thing makes another right. But when you have a clear Sony fan in here bringing up shit from years ago to try proof his point clearly its going to be pointed back to him even if he ignores his fav company doing the same or worse when it comes to gaming. Now really cop on. By taking up his point your just making yourself look bad...

Azzanation said:

Alby_da_Wolf said:

I'm a PC gamer, so I should get the games anyway, but I'm against as I don't trust MS. Since the beginiing, MS only owned one part of the x86 PC, the OS, but it always tried to behave as if it owned the whole platform, and I'm against this.

---

Azzanation said:

Ill assume you don't game on Windows than. Would be an odd relationship if you did.

---

Alby_da_Wolf said:

It surely is!

I game on Windows, Android and Linux, but I try to give MS as little power as possible.

---

Azzanation said:

That would require you to not buy their games or use their ecosystems. 

Currently I just need Windows for my Windows games, not additional MS services. My additional service of choice is GoG, and I could also subscribe again to Steam, if really needed. While I don't need Game Pass, I'm not against MS services, as long as MS doesn't try to make them mandatory also for third party PC games. And I fear that if MS becomes excessively big in gaming, dwarfing competition, it could try harder to do it.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

SvennoJ said:
Machiavellian said:

Edge integration into Windows is no different then Safari within Mac OS, neither browser can just be taken out of the OS because of the integration and backend services each rely on.  The thing is, neither OS require you to actually use those browsers so you really cannot say they are strong arming you.  There is no doubt that every company that has an advantage within their section of business will continue to push for that advantage, that is what business do.  Its another thing to suggest they need to resort to sleazy tactics to accomplish the task.

As for an OS is concerned if you are looking to get away from a business leveraging their software on their platform, then only Linux fills that spot but even still you probably cannot get the paid distros as you then just move from one master to another.

You're just proving my point, thanks.

Not sure how I have proven your point.  You ended your post saying that MS forces you to use their accounts but nothing I have stated actually prove that point.  What actual account are you forced to use from MS.  I know I do not have any MS accounts besides GP but I was forced to get it.