By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - A round of applause for the staff

Props to the team behind the scenes!

Make you applause louder by becoming a supporter today! :D

https://www.vgchartz.com/supporters.php

Around the Network
siebensus4 said:

I don't know what caused the downtime, but thanks a lot for your work! You guys are doing a fantastic job. I appreciate that. ^^

Another hacker, posting dick pics again. They had to restore the site to a backup from the night before, and took time to further enhance the security measures to hopefully prevent future hacks.

shikamaru317 said:
siebensus4 said:

I don't know what caused the downtime, but thanks a lot for your work! You guys are doing a fantastic job. I appreciate that. ^^

Another hacker, posting dick pics again. They had to restore the site to a backup from the night before, and took time to further enhance the security measures to hopefully prevent future hacks.

Same hacker, backup took about 6 hours, we spent our entire Sunday talking about theories on how he did it and measures we can put into place, I was up until 5am and other staff way past midnight, the only thing we can do for now is put measures in place to stop him faster if he does it again and restrict the damage he can do, we also password protected a bunch of stuff.

Staff might have to pay out of their own pocket for a security person to comb over the site. We're as frustrated as everyone else; I hope people understand how this is 98% unpaid volunteer work at this stage, only the writers are paid, and we work with what we can find, none of us are security/hacking experts unfortunately.

Personally, I still don't believe passwords are compromised, I think he's tricking the site via some method into getting into accounts. We were already confident he isn't getting into the backend and this new hack further proves he isn't in the backend, the damage he can do is restricted to the toolset of the account he is hijacking, I.E. Anything a Site Admin can do which is basically a bunch of edit features.

We verified the delete doesn't work anymore, and any edits done to Forums/Articles can be fixed fairly quickly.

Staff do really appreciate the kind words, it's been fairly annoying, Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 06 December 2022

Pretty much turned into lurker the last long while, but will always appreciate the people working the keep the site up.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Some dude that got banned that can’t get over it?

Around the Network

"Last couple months".

That's a laugh! That fool caused problems loooong before!

In any case, I'm sure the staff who have worked hardest appreciate it *looking at our strong coders + Ryuu*

CGI-Quality said:

"Last couple months".

That's a laugh! That fool caused problems loooong before!

In any case, I'm sure the staff who have worked hardest appreciate it *looking at our strong coders + Ryuu*

I hadn't known about what had happened before. But I've been filled in. @Ryuu96 did a lot for sure. Though you also have to thank @jlauro and @Bandorr who helped bring the site back and put some security measures in place in a rather quick amount of time. 

Last edited by trunkswd - on 06 December 2022

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

shikamaru317 said:

Another hacker, posting dick pics again. 

Never understood this, what's the message behind ? 

Thank you everyone for your patience and kind words. It's been a rough few days that's for sure. CGI is going to make a thread about it all tomorrow I think.

I've just had some really good news from Talon, who came back in the middle of a busy new job to try and help out. If it works out, he might be able to prevent this happening again.

I am sure the owner will thank you ...

Block the cock!?!?