By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's future - branded subsidiaries?

Over the past year or so, we've finally gotten a glimpse into what Nintendo president, Shuntaro Furukawa's plans are for the company. This year, Nintendo has acquired CG animation studio, Dynamo Pictures, and rebranded it as Nintendo Pictures, Co. Ltd. And just recently, it was announced that Nintendo and DeNA are forming a joint-venture (majority owned by Nintendo) named Nintendo Systems, Co. Ltd.

Nintendo Pictures will focus on "Visual Content using Nintendo IP" while Nintendo Systems will apparently handle Nintendo related online services and features. This is probably speculation, but it seems Furukawa wants Nintendo to function in a manner akin to something like Bandai Namco. A disparate hydra of various, semi-autonomous subsidiaries that all synergize with each-other to form a cohesive brand. I wonder if this style will extend to Nintendo's hardware and software development. Would this mean that the Hardware division and EPD may be spun-off into separate companies?

Around the Network

Why is this thread ignored, this nice info.bringing it back on top.

I don't think that you can draw this conclusion from the establishment of two subsidiary which are outside the core business of Nintendo. If anything, I think that it's a good decision as Nintendo best directors and employees need to focus on their game output for their mainline console and not be distracted by the side business.

For Nintendo pictures, obviously, the videogames studios can't and won't do anime. It would be strange to mix this activity with the videogame activity.

Nintendo systems, on the other side , will probably (and hopefully) be used to take care of the mobile games and side of the business. I mean that Animal Crossing Pocket Camp, Mario Kart tour and Fire Emblem on mobile aren't worth using Nintendo high quality studios. These games are making money so they are worth making, but are not worthy of wasting the talent of Nintendo's best studios and employees who should exclusively work on Switch and the next Nintendo console.

In order to put products like these mobiles games, you don't need the highest quality. Just use the IP with a F2P format and copy a format already existing and it brings money alone. You need creativity and high videogame making skills.

It would lighten the burden on Nintendo's videogame studio and allow them to make only game on consoles, which is probably all they want to do.

There's no chance that video game hardware and software will be separated, because Nintendo understands it like no other company that these two things go hand in hand.

I don't see any other subsidiaries being created in the next several years. Nintendo Pictures obviously makes a whole lot of sense, for Nintendo Systems we'll have to see what their entire list of objectives is and how these things will be put into place.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Well i've been saying it for years they need motion picture (ie movies tv shows to brainwash the kids into becoming new Nintendo fans).

Fingers crossed for a Star Fox series lol

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:

Well i've been saying it for years they need motion picture (ie movies tv shows to brainwash the kids into becoming new Nintendo fans).

I think Star Fox would work well as a series. The main cast have all the typical character types needed.

Just give Falco a crazy ex and make Foxs elusive father one of the main plots and we are home. 

Nintendo Pictures makes sense. Nintendo is unique in the gaming world in that they are very character driven with highly recognizable stars. The other star characters of the gaming world are spread out among a bunch of different companies and few are anywhere near as iconic as numerous Nintendo characters. This means that Nintendo has a bunch of IP that could easily be made into tv shows and movies to expand Nintendo's cultural footprint.

And they really haven't done much of this. Shows and maybe to a lesser extent movies (as well as mobile games) are huge areas that Nintendo has mostly ignored. I'm surprised after some initial success with mobile games they actually pulled back from it rather than ramping up. Considering the Nintendo Pictures subsidiary it looks like they won't make the same mistake with movies and shows.

Star Fox would make a fantastic show with classic characters and sci-fi action. A really well done Zelda live action movie would be awesome, same with Metroid. And they have numerous other properties that could get shows or movies. Fzero could be a cool movie if you plot out an interesting story. Hell with Smash Bros they could do an avengers-type series of movies or tv show.

Seems like Nintendo could definitely expand their business by making Nintendo movies and shows a popular part of culture.

Nintendo has mostly been pretty damn conservative in their business strategy. Few shows/movies, few ads, few mobile games, heck seemingly not making an effort to bring AAA third party games back to Nintendo, not trying to  make Nintendo systems 'media boxes' like xbox and playstation do, not taking online gaming all that seriously even after several generations of online play being popular. Other than toys they pretty much stick to a very conservative strategy of: we've got great systems and we make great games and that's it. There is so much more they could be doing. Its probably just Japanese business culture, i dunno. If Nintendo was an American company I'm pretty sure we would have seen it grow the tendrils of its iconic characters into a much wider swath of pop culture by now.

But its good to see they are perhaps starting that with the amusement parks and the Mario movie.

Last edited by Slownenberg - on 02 December 2022

RolStoppable said:

There's no chance that video game hardware and software will be separated, because Nintendo understands it like no other company that these two things go hand in hand.

I don't see any other subsidiaries being created in the next several years. Nintendo Pictures obviously makes a whole lot of sense, for Nintendo Systems we'll have to see what their entire list of objectives is and how these things will be put into place.

Now I'm curious to see what a Nintendo Toys would be like. :) 

Cobretti2 said:

Just PLEASE don't be like the Zelda cartoon from 1989.

I wanna see a new Donkey Kong Country cartoon, only this time better animation, a lot less singing, a lot more elements from the games, and not have Candy Kong as an overly sensitive bitch.