By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Ryuu96 said:

Some twitter post

These crazy concessions apply globally.

...Wonder if there's a chance of remittal on the CMA's part in light of new evidence.

I think so, if the EU successfully get those concession from MS I think it's safe to assume the CMA did not properly exchange with/convey to MS the seriousness of their findings and the actual possible resolutions, amounting to a breach of procedure.

In fact, I already identified this in my prior list 😉

EpicRandy said:

[...]

• The evaluation the CMA did of the current significance of the size of Xcloud is irrational.
  • The evaluation of the CMA having defined Xcloud as a major selling point of GPU is irrational. 
  • The CMA did not sufficiently acquire information in regard to Xcloud usage which they could easily have requested and obtained therefore amounting to a breach of procedure.
  • Given the fact that CMA could have easily obtained more precise information from MS, using a speculative one is irrational.
  • The CMA did not give proper feedback to MS on their remedies proposal.
  • The CMA did not properly convey the seriousness of the Cloud SLC after dropping the Console SLC.
  • The CMA mention that remedies that would be hard to track is irrational.
  • The CMA mentions that MS could substantially raise the game pass subscription fee negating consumer benefits is irrational given our goal.
  • The CMA did not properly define the possibility of a rise in GamePass fee as a concern prior to their final conclusion amounting to a breach of procedure.
  • The CMA only weighs in the benefits of Game Pass vs the cons of the Cloud SLC is irrational as they should have also included the benefits to the much bigger console markets along with the subscription service one.
  • Giving the CMA found benefits to much bigger and more impactful markets (Consoles), refusing to consider behavioral remedies for a substantially lesser market goes against their own mandate for consumers of the UK and so is irrational.
  • etc...

[...]

I could potentially make a bingo card of MS arguments before the CAT 😛🤔

Around the Network

The UK are just salty AF the EU put the UK in its place on home soil in the Eurovision.

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

"would allow Microsoft to set the terms and conditions for this market for the next ten years."

Those terrible, awful terms being that Microsoft will allow a free license to stream ABK titles to every Cloud Service Provider as opposed to the alternative where only the richest companies can have access to Activision-Blizzard titles or the richest company will get an exclusive license to all ABK titles and cut out all the competition.

CMA is baffling...

Digging their heels in, it's clear that the EC's decision won't affect them at all, CAT will (maybe) send it back to CMA and CMA will block it again, they've made that clear in that tweet response, they won't accept this deal no matter what.

Does CMA usually respond when one regulator made a different decision to them? Feels kind of...insecure, Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 15 May 2023

Microsoft would be preparing to close the deal if UK didn't BREXIT.

Just saying.

Around the Network

I've got a new video up! 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

The more I think about it, the more CMA's response comes across as poor, very odd behaviour, Lol. Response itself even looks rushed and it basically sums up as "LALA I'M RIGHT. YOU'RE WRONG" Lol. I don't know why they felt like they had to respond, every jurisdiction has made their own decision, they didn't respond to anyone else, so why respond to the EU specifically? And nobody at the EC has even mentioned CMA so it was unpromoted.

It's just making them look even more politically motivated than we originally thought and comes across as insecure on their decision. This is the European Union's market and in case CMA forgot, the UK left the EU, Lol. They can make a decision for their own market, it doesn't need your commentary on their decision.

Also I find it funny how they keep saying they're protecting a free market whilst being the only regulator to block the deal, FTC doesn't really count, Lol. Also that same market they're protecting is largely in favour of the deal or doesn't care so it feels more like "we're protecting specifically Google and Sony" and Google ain't even in the dang market anymore, Lol.

Ryuu96 said:

Jesus Christ, Lol. Cloud Service Providers not even having to pay a fee is crazy good.

CMA thinks Activision-Blizzard will give them it for free as an independent entity? Lmao.

MS did state how different the EU competition regulators were compared to the CMA I remember.  They stated that the EU worked with them while basically the CMA just closed down and then threw out a decision which did not give MS the amount of time nor means to address those issues before the decision.

Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick sent the following email to employees on Monday:

Today, we achieved an important milestone: the European Commission (EC), one of the world's most thorough and respected regulators, approved our merger with Microsoft. This decision underscores the benefits our transaction provides to players and to competition.

Careful regulators in numerous other countries have already approved the merger. By joining them today, the EC has once again demonstrated their rigorous, fair and sensible approach with the creation of appropriate regulatory guardrails that ensure competition in important growth industries.

Microsoft has agreed to conditions as part of the EC's approval, including licenses for legitimate cloud gaming providers to stream Activision Blizzard games and enforcement mechanisms to ensure these regulatory commitments are upheld.

This important step provides a proper roadmap for regulators around the world to consider when determining how best to encourage and promote competition in the gaming industry.

There is still work to be accomplished before our merger can be finalized but it is encouraging that regulators like the European Commission understand and appreciate the considerable growth opportunities provided by our industry.

Thank you for your patience as we work to promote fair, free trade, healthy competition and broader recognition for the extraordinary work our people do each day to entertain hundreds of millions of people around the world.

Bobby

Activision-Microsoft deal: Bobby Kotick memo about EC decision (activisionblizzard.com)