By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Around the Network

Oh yes oh yes oh yes the article comments are exactly the level of spice I expected, almost as bad as the usual kotaku comments section. Hope the same level of energy is shown when Sony buys up someone big and miss me with that “OrGaNiC GrOwTh” vomit.

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

VersusEvil said:

Oh yes oh yes oh yes the article comments are exactly the level of spice I expected, almost as bad as the usual kotaku comments section. Hope the same level of energy is shown when Sony buys up someone big and miss me with that “OrGaNiC GrOwTh” vomit.

No such thing as organic growth via acquisitions, the definition for that is literally, inorganic growth, Lol. And yeah, all acquisitions fall under inorganic growth, no matter how small or big. People label their acquisitions as organic growth to make themselves feel better about their billion dollar company buying studios over another billion dollar company buying studios.

Have not checked the Articles or Thread but I'd just suggest you guys need to hunker down with some games until this blows over

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 26 April 2023

New video from me. I go over the details from the UK blocking the ABK deal, as well as Microsoft's and ABK's plan to appeal the decision. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Idas Said:

MLex has a few highlights from the final report:

- In the response to the remedies working paper MS said that customers would lose out the merger's benefits and that a veto would be "disproportionate.”

- MS also said that the CMA would be overreaching and "cutting across" the assessments by other regulators around the globe.

- Some market players told the CMA they believed vetoing the deal was "excessive," while others said it would be disproportionate if alternative, effective remedies were available. Others said they did not see harm to competition in the first place.

- Only Sony and an undisclosed third party agreed with vetoing the deal.

- MS argued that prohibiting the merger would "be tantamount to lowering the evidentiary bar required to block a transaction because it is in a digital market." "Refusing to consider behavioral remedies in new digital markets simply because such markets are 'dynamic' or 'evolving' has the same effect, making it harder to obtain merger clearances in digital mergers”.

- MS believed that prohibiting the deal worldwide would be "disproportionate" because it would have an impact beyond the UK, arguing that vetoing the deal "would not be limited to the UK and would undermine the deal worldwide, and as such 'the effect of the CMA's conclusion in relation to a tiny part of the gaming world (cloud gaming) would have a grossly disproportionate and extensively extra-territorial effect', including 'denying a non-UK company, Microsoft, the freedom to conduct its business as it wishes outside the UK."

- MS stated that while UK laws do not preclude the CMA from adopting remedies that may have impacts outside the country, they also do not "permit the CMA simply to ignore the extra-territorial consequences of its actions."

- Microsoft also told the CMA that the merger had been approved unconditionally in several countries and that "the European Commission was engaging extensively with a behavioral remedy.” "By imposing a prohibition remedy, the CMA would in practice be cutting across the regulatory assessments and remedial solutions of other regulators in other jurisdictions."

- MLex also says that the veto should alarm tech companies like Broadcom or Amazon, among other large tech companies expecting to make an acquisition or in the process.

Yes, this is totally going to the CAT.

It’s obvious that for MS this goes beyond the ABK acquisition.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

New video from me. I go over the details from the UK blocking the ABK deal, as well as Microsoft's and ABK's plan to appeal the decision. 

Interesting.  Why not try submitting to VGChartz's main YT acco-

*Sees Subscriber Count*

Nevermind.  Carry on then!

Not going to lie, I'm feeling pretty down today. While I personally don't care all that much about ABK games and getting them into the first party and onto Gamepass, having the acquisition rejected over absolute bullshit nonsense Cloud concerns just makes me angry at the injustice of it all. The amount of power that Sony has a market leader is astounding, the various regulators of the world have said they are allowed to a. make timed and full exclusivity deals for tons of AAA 3rd party games b. pay 3rd party developers to specifically skip a release on Xbox only (all other platforms allowed 6 months or a year after the Sony release, but Xbox release is blocked for life), c. pay 3rd parties to release exclusive content within games (exclusive characters, exclusive quests, early beta access, early demo access, etc.), meanwhile all the while Sony is allowed to keep acquiring things for their own 1st party. Xbox tries to acquire a publisher to better compete with Sony, is willing to sign 10 year deals to keep releasing that publisher's games on other platforms including PS, and they're still not allowed to do that, they say it's because of Cloud but it feels like a convenient excuse seeing as Xbox has no Cloud gaming monopoly and there is no evidence that ABK would give them one, feels like their real concern is with Xbox being able to compete with Sony, can't have that. 

Honestly it's hard to feel any hope for the future of Xbox at this point, I just see so many L's when I think about Xbox and their prospects for the future:

• Xbox is losing the hardware war right now by a greater margin than they did last gen, in spite of everything they have done to improve their position in the market since last gen (acquisitions, natural 1st party growth and expansion, Gamepass, trying harder in niche markets, etc.). With Xbox now saying they expect the shortages to continue, we are looking at PS5 doubling Xbox Series before the end of the year, way faster than it took PS4 to double XB1. There is no way that Xbox can recover from falling that far behind in hardware, and Xbox will suffer the fallout from allowing it for the rest of the gen, with that big of a lead over Xbox Sony will be able to cheaply keep moneyhatting 3rd party AAA's off of Xbox the remainder of the generation (while any attempts by MS to hat games will come with huge price tags like the $100m Xbox reportedly had to pay for Tomb Raider last gen), indies and niche Japanese devs will remain hesitant to port to Xbox, Sony will have much higher mindshare, etc. 
  • Phil's vision for what he wants Xbox to be just doesn't closely align with what I want Xbox to be anymore. He strongly favors indie deals for Gamepass, which I rarely play indies, meanwhile the AAA and JP deals I want to see landing regularly on Gamepass don't come anywhere near as often as I'd like to see them, certainly alot less often than we see them on Sony's PS+ competitor service. It feels like he cares more about things like growing PC and Cloud, horizontal expansion as Jez called it in his article, than he cares about vertical expansion, focusing on growth of Xbox's core console market. I'm disappointed by the huge lacking of custom console and controller designs compared to last gen, disappointed by Xbox's lackluster pricing and bundling strategy so far this gen. I'm disappointed by his lackluster efforts in Japan. I will forever be thankful to Phil for turning things around for Xbox as much as he did, but I'm no longer sure he is the best person for the job, for instance his rumored hands off leadership style, some of these 1st party studios seem to need firm guidance from above and aren't getting it.
  • So many things feel outdated on Xbox, from the UI, to the achievements system, to the Game DVR, and we have no idea when improvements will be coming. And don't even get me started on the lackluster Xbox marketing.
  • We keep hearing stories about the ID@Xbox team blocking games from releasing on Xbox, usually because they are unhappy with the content of a game and decide to play censor, which I'm not a fan of at all.
  • It feels like even smaller future acquisitions such as Sega for instance have a good chance of being blocked for equally BS reasons now

coolbeans said:
trunkswd said:

Interesting.  Why not try submitting to VGChartz's main YT acco-

*Sees Subscriber Count*

Nevermind.  Carry on then!

My YouTube channel is around 10 years old, so it has taken me a long time to grow it to nearly 10K subscribers. And yeah, that is the main reason I post these on my own channel.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

- Only Sony and an undisclosed third party agreed with vetoing the deal.

And Google* Fairly obvious.