By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
konnichiwa said:
coolbeans said:

Who cares what they say?  Gaming is universally the most fraught when it comes to delays and it's not unique to any publisher.  

Every sane person should care and every company who promises something but ends up failing deserves to be called out on it. 
A Great company is not one that tries to attract and delight consumers with great promises but rather one who delight consumers with continuously delivering great content. 

I think you're looking at this in a screwy way, so I'll try to break down what I'm getting at:

1.)  Annoying fanboys are always going to find something to complain about, so I don't think it's insane to brush off those reactions.

2.)  For earnest fans, I totally understand complaining about a broken promise and calling a spade a spade.  But for me, I tend to think more about MS' shittier past compared to the advertised "12-month" structure: cropped gameplay or CGI trailers for games that have either been cancelled or haven't come out yet.  Wasting time hyping up Everwild or State of Decay 3 as just coming tbd with no grasp of what the final product will look like was getting stale years ago.

Now jump to E3 2022: aside from a couple outliers (like Kojima announcement), we saw snippets or full showcases of tangible gameplay promised for the next 12 months.  Some of those games will miss that window, but the majority will still hit their marks.  And given how common delays are in this industry, it's more of a blemish than something truly malicious.  I'd even go so far as to say I truly believe every listed game had earnest internal targets but just simply miscalculated.  If MS just uses the appropriate language to prepare for those potential delays, I don't see the problem.  

Hell, have Spencer commit a blood oath that'll guarantee every single showcased game will make it by Dec. 31 2024.  Trim out ALL far-future trailers.  Given me some in-game time with Avowed, Compulsion's adventure, Starfield, etc. etc.  Things that can at least be played in an alpha state by end of this year or bust.

Last edited by coolbeans - on 10 April 2023

Around the Network

What's the point in switching from 12 months schedule to 18 months schedule? Just to have people bitching about not delivering on the 12 months promise bitch about not delivering on the 18 months promise?

derpysquirtle64 said:

What's the point in switching from 12 months schedule to 18 months schedule? Just to have people bitching about not delivering on the 12 months promise bitch about not delivering on the 18 months promise?

I think it looks cleaner to say "everything you see here is locked for release in '23 or '24."  

gtotheunit91 said:
smroadkill15 said:

I still think it's better to keep the 12-month thing go. It seems silly to drop it because a couple games got pushed back a few months. It's really not a big deal as long as it's within that window.

I personally would love to have it be an 18-month window. Especially for the big summer showcases. Not only would you be able to cover that years holiday releases, but also tease the tentpole releases of the following holiday season. Doesn't have to show much, but could be enough to merit a trailer and a "Holiday 2024" display or something like that so fans know what else is on the horizon. First half of the year for Xbox releases are usually pretty slow overall, so it allows for excitement to build not just for that year, but the following year as well. 

I hear what you're saying. The problem with 18 months is there is more uncertainty for games between 12–18-month window. Studios are probably not ready to show anything that far out, and we get back into CGI trailer territory. Then showcase announcements for the holiday get repeated with the following showcase. The 18-month format is what Xbox has pretty much always done in the past without official saying it. The fun part with 12-month window is the potential of surprise fall-winter releases for that current year. At the very least MS should stick with this 12-month format for at least this upcoming showcase to really show its potential. 

derpysquirtle64 said:

Right now I think the only title which was delayed from their "12 month" commitment and isn't hitting 2023 at all is Ark II (Lol). But you made me realise that I'm not considering "Holiday 2024" titles might be delayed into Early 2025, Lol. Okay fuck the delay moaners but I still prefer "next 18 months" to "next 12 months" because "next 12 months" is a little bit restrictive.

This year we'd likely get Avowed, Hellblade II, Belfry and Contraband in the "next 12 months" timeframe...Can't think of anything else that has a good chance of releasing in Holiday 23 - Early 24. Maybe Project Midnight. Personally I'd like to see updates and timeframe updates to a few other titles though if they are Holiday 24.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 10 April 2023

Around the Network

I like this 12 months thing, keep at it for a while and let's see if they can get it rolling with minimal delays in the future. And it really isn't a big deal if some games miss this timeframe for some months.

smroadkill15 said:
gtotheunit91 said:

I personally would love to have it be an 18-month window. Especially for the big summer showcases. Not only would you be able to cover that years holiday releases, but also tease the tentpole releases of the following holiday season. Doesn't have to show much, but could be enough to merit a trailer and a "Holiday 2024" display or something like that so fans know what else is on the horizon. First half of the year for Xbox releases are usually pretty slow overall, so it allows for excitement to build not just for that year, but the following year as well. 

I hear what you're saying. The problem with 18 months is there is more uncertainty for games between 12–18-month window. Studios are probably not ready to show anything that far out, and we get back into CGI trailer territory. Then showcase announcements for the holiday get repeated with the following showcase. The 18-month format is what Xbox has pretty much always done in the past without official saying it. The fun part with 12-month window is the potential of surprise fall-winter releases for that current year. At the very least MS should stick with this 12-month format for at least this upcoming showcase to really show its potential. 

Lets say Fable is Holiday 24 (#Doubt, Lol) but if it were then I would simply do a Story trailer or something, that's seriously enough for me, Lol.

I do understand that it can be annoying to see the same game over and over again which I've even complained about before but I think it's actually even more damaging to reveal titles then go completely radio silent on them for years on end, which is what Xbox has done for Fable, State of Decay 2, Perfect Dark, Avowed, etc.

I don't think Xbox has really seriously done an "18 month" format, it has in recent history been more like a "3-5 year" format, Lol. Which is on the opposite end of bad, but it was understandable why they had to do it at the time, I feel like with the "12 month" format they have slightly overcorrected and I'm just asking to adjust a little bit to 18 months.

Some of these titles could really do with an update, the complete dead silence also helps to fuel some of these nonsense drama stories about "development hell" as well, oh a little bump in development, must be development hell, taking a few years to develop, must be development hell, it's so tiring to listen to, Lol. If the titles actually had updates to them then at least they'd be a somewhat better way to counter the narratives than leaving it up to "insiders" to hash it out and spread a bunch of rumours.

I can't wait until E3 2024 to see Fable...

But it looks like I'm in the minority

gtotheunit91 said:

There's some (new?) clips in the "Begin Your Journey" interactive adventure which are unlisted on Youtube.

Take Back Redfall – Friendly Neighborhood Half Witch - YouTube

Take Back Redfall – The Night Rally - YouTube

Take Back Redfall – Overwhelming Odds - YouTube

Take Back Redfall – So Obvious - YouTube

Take Back Redfall – Death (Mist) Kindly Stopped for Me - YouTube

Take Back Redfall – Breaking Hearts - YouTube

Take Back Redfall – A Glimpse Into the Past - YouTube

Take Back Redfall – Fools Rush In - YouTube

Take Back Redfall – The Birds - YouTube

Take Back Redfall – Slayers and Airwaves - YouTube

Take Back Redfall – Up and Over - YouTube

Clips are a lot better than IGN's showing, Lol.

I vote for 18 month. I want to know every game releasing the rest of 2023 and most of the games releasing in 2024 as well. Also hope they at least have in-engine teasers ready for all of the 2024 releases, hopefully actual gameplay.