By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

As a Consumer Would You Rather?

Traditional Console + Everything Exclusive 20 42.55%

Xbox/PC Hybrid + Access t... 27 57.45%

Total:47

Blast from the past (kinda). Finished Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series.

Bought the disc version recently as the game has been delisted a few years ago. First problem: It only installed episodes 1, 4 & 5. Episodes 2 & 3 were just 10 MB placeholder files. Couldn't download them from the store either as I don't own them digitally of course.
My solution: Deleted episode 1 and the two placeholder DLCs, reinstall from disc. It worked! ...kinda. It installed episode 1 & 3 this time. So once more I uninstalled episode 1 and the placeholder for episode 2 and reinstalled them from disc and finally I got all of them on my hard drive.

Just in case you want to buy some old delisted Telltale games on disc. This could very well happen to you with their other games as well.

Anyway, it's your typical Telltale adventure with barely any point and click elements and lots of dialogue and QTEs.
Characters are on point and the dialogues are well written. The story structure is quite unusual as the big battle already happens in the middle of the game (between the end of episode 3 and the beginning of episode 4), while episode 5 starts off very slow and then ends in a battle that is so one-sided in favour of the GotG that you never feel any kind of threat.

What also sucked: Achievements that are tied to story progression but won't unlock. Happend to me twice in the very same episode, Beating the first and last chapter didn't unlock. Thankfully I noticed it in time and could delete my local save file before it got uploaded to the cloud so I could replay the last chapter and later one restarted the episode to get the cheevo for the first chapter.

In conclusion, I've played worse Telltale titles but also better ones. If you're a fan of GotG play the Eidos developed game first and then this one. 7.5/10

Around the Network

Man, it's only Monday, Lol.

FWIW Rand doesn't think Redfall videos will be posted this week from the preview event so I'd guess maybe next week is Redfall Previews and then the week after is Starfield's Direct (hopefully).

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 06 March 2023

One of the other biggest changes for Schafer personally was Double Fine’s acquisition by Xbox, a move that opened a number of new doors for the studio. As Schafer puts it, Double Fine historically tends to make “weird” games that tend to be difficult to find funding for. But with Xbox’s support, he’s not only had the funding, but he’s also had the boon of Xbox Game Pass to put those weird games in front of people who might not have ever tried them at full price.

“Game Pass lets us reach people who maybe would've been too nervous to drop 70 bucks for a physical copy of a thing,” he says. “But they see it and it looks really compelling and they're like, ‘Oh, I'll just download it and play it.’ That's a great place for us to be, so that changes us, and I think it'll lead to us being more like ourselves and more creative…It's allowed me to move forward projects that I had on the back burner, thinking, ‘I would never be able to pitch this to a publisher. It's just too strange-sounding.’ And now we can make those games, so they're going to get weirder, that's all.”

It’s worth pointing out that Schafer isn’t referring to Psychonauts 2 here – it was already in development when Double Fine was acquired. But he does add that Xbox’s support meant being effectively asked, “How would you finish Psychonauts if you had resources?” His answer was to put the boss fights back in and polish it far more than he’d been able to otherwise, and that’s what the team did.

Instead, Schafer’s “weirder games” remark is referring to Double Fine’s future output, which he’s not able to talk about just yet. He does confirm that the studio still does internal game jams, and he’s got a whole list of game ideas in his head that he wants to work on some day. I ask him if he’s thinking of revisiting some of his old games at any point, and while he’s not opposed to the idea entirely, that’s not what he’s up to right now.

We've been looking towards the past and taking care of our past, and archiving it and preserving it in these remasters. But now, we're really excited about doing all new stuff. We're doing new games in the studio, and everything is 100% new.”

Schafer briefly ponders doing something like Animal Crossing – a game about tending and caring for something – but Nintendo already nailed that, he says, so maybe not. Above all, whatever Schafer does next, his biggest concern is keeping his creativity alive.

“There's types of games I would like to make, and it's more like I think the biggest effort is, I've always been mindful of not losing that fire in your belly. How do you tend that, how do you stoke that? How do you not suffocate that, how do you let in enough air? All these metaphors for, ‘How do you make sure you still love what you do?’ And it always involves moving towards a project that excites me the most, because there's a lot of pressure to get pulled into maybe business development or other areas of your job that are important, but will make you wake up one morning and that fire's gone. So, I've always avoided that, so I would just maintain pursuing that, and just always chasing what inspires me and everyone at Double Fine.”

So he’s making new games, he’s working to spread transparency around positive working cultures, and he’s deriving inspiration from other developers – where does that eventually take award-winning developer Tim Schafer? In ten years, what does Tim Schafer making video games look like?

“Um, I'm sitting in a hot tub, I got my feet up,” he says. “I'm having a blast now because I'm prototyping some ideas, just a couple people. And no one's really looking at it, talking about deadlines or anything. I'm just messing around with what a game could be, and that's really fun. Because they're not like, ‘Oh my God, we're going to run out of money in three months.’ I've got people working on new games, and I'm working on new ideas, and that's a really fun place to be.

“I'm always trying to build up Double Fine so it could survive if I got hit by a bus, but I don't plan on getting hit by a bus anytime soon. I think I've just been very dedicated to making sure it's always fun for me still. I think by holding on to the parts of the job that I like, like writing, and not giving those up, which can cause trouble. But I still maneuver things to Double Fine so that I really enjoy my job, and I work with people I like, and that it enriches me more emotionally more than it drains me. So, I think that allows me to stick around.”

Tim Schafer Opens Up About Life With Xbox, Building Better Work Cultures, and What's Next - IGN

The Lamplighters League looks good! I don't remember hearing about it before, but will give it a go.

Around the Network

All these documentaries from Xbox studios is nice to see, I'd love one from Playground on Fable and Obsidian on Avowed. I'd actually be super interested in seeing how Obsidian operates internally, their efficiency is crazy. I think they also help educate gamers about development, I feel like this industry is rammed full with hot takes about game development from gamers who don't actually know a single thing about game development, Lol.

Driving the news: A YouGov survey commissioned by Microsoft in January found that just 3% of all PlayStation users would switch to buying an Xbox if Microsoft pulled Call of Duty from PlayStation, according to a copy of the study shared by Microsoft with Axios.

The CMA’s own survey, conducted by DJS Research in December, estimates that 15% of avid Call of Duty PlayStation players (playing at least 10 hours or spending at least $100 on the series in the past year) would switch to Xbox.

Microsoft's survey found that 10.5% of CoD gamers who ranked the franchise as one of their two favorites would have switched consoles.

---

This is starting to feel like Microsoft is readying to take this to CAT.

The CMA's Survey says that 15% of Avid Call of Duty PlayStation Players would switch to Xbox if it were made exclusive. Microsoft's YouGov Survey says that 10.5% of Avid Call of Duty PlayStation Players would switch to Xbox if made exclusive. According to the CMA, 9% also say they would buy a PC instead of a PlayStation or Xbox which would make a 24% loss of CoD userbase on PlayStation...NOT install base...

24% would be the absolute peak loss of install base if every single PlayStation user in UK played CoD and were big fans of it.

Instead, Microsoft's YouGov Survey estimates the actual number for total loss of PlayStation install base to Xbox would amount to just 3%. I don't know how CMA came to the conclusion of a substantial lessening of competition even at a 24% loss of AVID Call of Duty players because the actual total PlayStation install base loss would be a lot less than 24%...I'd buy YouGov's 3% total loss of installbase being way closer to the actual number.

Anyway, feels like Microsoft is trying to say that CMA's surveys are wrong and that will formulate the basis of their complaint to CAT.

Not Cortana!

It was trash though.