By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I’m honestly not surprised to see Ubisoft crashing, when every franchise needs to have a pissing contest in what’s the biggest most cluttered game over the next and you’re developing games for every platform in existence then ofc it’s not sustainable. Surprised it hasn’t happened earlier. Personally I think Ubisoft are the worst developer in the industry so them cancelling games I was never gonna buy due to how much I hate Ubisofts game design doesn’t affect me, sucks for those that do buy Ubisoft games tho. Heck I say let Sony buy em up.

Last edited by VersusEvil - on 12 January 2023

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:

Unlimited PTO is one of those ideas that sounds amazing on paper, that doesn't tend to translate as well to how people act.

1.) Studies show that people tend to actually take less time off, than if they accrue a set amount over an amount of time. People tend to be worried about abusing it. 

2.) You also lose the ability to accrue and get a pay out when you leave.  

A lot of this is based on the environment, stuff like who your peers are and who your boss is. 

One potential fix to that, is to mandate a minimum number of days. You have unlimited days off, but you have to at least take 10 for example. 

Unlimited days off work more for sick days then vacation days.  Meaning that most companies just pool both sick and vacation days together.  Either way, I agree that it sounds nice but such things always have a catch.  Its not like you can just take a month off and everything will be all ok, there will be set boundaries.

EspadaGrim said:
shikamaru317 said:

Yeah, it is sad to see. 7 unannounced games cancelled in 6 months (4 in July, 3 in January). Skull & Bones delayed yet again (though this time only from March to Q2). They claim they are cancelling these 7 unannounced games to focus on their core series and make them larger sources of revenue (presumably those Core series would be Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Just Dance, Tom Clancy, and maybe Watch Dogs). I hope it works out for them, I'd really hate to see them get acquired by Netease or Tencent, as I don't trust the Chinese at all, and Sony would be even worse as they would make most of their games exclusive to PS. Embracer meanwhile probably wouldn't be allowed to acquire them, as Embracer already has 132 game studios and 17,500 employees, and acquiring Ubisoft would bring them up to 184 studios and nearly 38,000 employees, not sure if the regulators would like the idea of the fate of 38,000 game developers and publishers resting in the hands of a single company. So that doesn't exactly leave anybody good to acquire Ubisoft. Xbox wouldn't be allowed to unless they abandon ABK first.

Ubisoft would be Amazons most realistic and cheapest choice to seriously get into the gaming space, these big Tech companies need to realize that the only real way to get into the AAA game industry is to buy yourself in at this point.

I disagree and believe that Embracer would be allowed to buy Ubisoft if they tried to merge but that would be a stupid move considering that it wouldn't fix any of Ubisoft's or Embracer's current problems and only make them worse. Honestly it looks like Tencent would be the front runners if a acquisition were to happen, also there is zero chance that Sony would even try imo a purchase like this would be over 10 billion easy.

Wouldn't mind Amazon since they'd likely keep them multiplatform, I don't think Amazon would change anything with Ubisoft's structure though which I think would be a bad thing, Ubisoft is in desperate need of a leadership shakeup. Tencent is definitely the frontrunner though, Yves is doing everything he can to stay in power and seems to have chosen Tencent to allow that, I see Tencent and Yves making more moves together in the future.

I also think Embracer would be allowed to merge with Ubisoft but I can't see it happening. Honestly, Jeff is likely right, Ubisoft for its 20,000 employees never really pulled huge profits in comparison to how massive it was. Its strengths were its workforce who are reportedly jumping from the company now due to toxic work environments and its IPs which its strongest ones are no longer releasing on a consistent basis.

They still do have strong IPs and a large workforce but they're way less consistent now. I think Ubisoft makes a lot more sense for someone who doesn't already have a large publishing operation & strong IPs (I.E. Amazon) than they do for someone who already has a large publishing operation & strong IPs (I.E. Xbox & PlayStation).

Ubisoft would be lucky to go for over $10bn at this rate. They've now dropped to $2.8bn. Their market cap is now less than Sega, Lol. Sony could afford them but I don't see why they would go for them, their net income isn't that impressive for how massive they are and if Sony made their games exclusive it would be a lot worse.

Ryuu96 said:
EspadaGrim said:

Ubisoft would be Amazons most realistic and cheapest choice to seriously get into the gaming space, these big Tech companies need to realize that the only real way to get into the AAA game industry is to buy yourself in at this point.

I disagree and believe that Embracer would be allowed to buy Ubisoft if they tried to merge but that would be a stupid move considering that it wouldn't fix any of Ubisoft's or Embracer's current problems and only make them worse. Honestly it looks like Tencent would be the front runners if a acquisition were to happen, also there is zero chance that Sony would even try imo a purchase like this would be over 10 billion easy.

Wouldn't mind Amazon since they'd likely keep them multiplatform, I don't think Amazon would change anything with Ubisoft's structure though which I think would be a bad thing, Ubisoft is in desperate need of a leadership shakeup. Tencent is definitely the frontrunner though, Yves is doing everything he can to stay in power and seems to have chosen Tencent to allow that, I see Tencent and Yves making more moves together in the future.

I also think Embracer would be allowed to merge with Ubisoft but I can't see it happening. Honestly, Jeff is likely right, Ubisoft for its 20,000 employees never really pulled huge profits in comparison to how massive it was. Its strengths were its workforce who are reportedly jumping from the company now due to toxic work environments and its IPs which its strongest ones are no longer releasing on a consistent basis.

They still do have strong IPs and a large workforce but they're way less consistent now. I think Ubisoft makes a lot more sense for someone who doesn't already have a large publishing operation & strong IPs (I.E. Amazon) than they do for someone who already has a large publishing operation & strong IPs (I.E. Xbox & PlayStation).

Ubisoft would be lucky to go for over $10bn at this rate. They've now dropped to $2.8bn. Their market cap is now less than Sega, Lol. Sony could afford them but I don't see why they would go for them, their net income isn't that impressive for how massive they are and if Sony made their games exclusive it would be a lot worse.

I saw a tweet from Grubb yesterday saying that Ubisoft had already reached out to people in regards to acquisitions and mergers, but that they were pretty much laughed at. Nobody wants them atm

Angelus said:
Ryuu96 said:

I saw a tweet from Grubb yesterday saying that Ubisoft had already reached out to people in regards to acquisitions and mergers, but that they were pretty much laughed at. Nobody wants them atm

Yeah, their strengths as Grubb said were their workforce but that's a mess nowadays, they have strong IPs but they're less consistent now, their profits are small in comparison to their massive workforce, it honestly doesn't make sense for Microsoft or Sony to want them, it doesn't really make sense for any major publisher to want to merge with them either.

They've gone from an efficient well oiled machine to a complete mess. If you already have strong IPs then do you really need Ubisoft? I'd say no, as of right now, they're too risky of an investment. They're slowly collapsing and companies can instead pick off the pieces from that. If they pulled huge profits it'd be another thing but honestly they're just okay and you have to take on the task of sorting out a near ~20,000 employees.

Instead of focusing on their strengths, they stagnated and started chasing trends, while Sony took the Ubisoft formula and improved on it.

Around the Network

As I said when it was announced, it looks like this showcase is for those 4 titles only, if I'm wrong then that's great but I don't want to expect something that won't be there, the "including" does sound like they'd be more but if there was more then I think they'd actually say that clearly, I.E. Expect Game Pass announcements and a few new surprises as well! But all the talk is just about those 4 titles.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 12 January 2023

40 minutes at 8pm is good.

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

We're back in the top 30 of VGChartz threads by posts at #30 😎